Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

winter tear down under way

winter tear down under way

The good. Valves checked and haven't budged since I put the new SS valves in this summer. The JB weld repair I made to the cam cap bridge has held up perfectly. Shock out and ready to go to Kates, forks off ready for fresh oil, new front sprocket on, old chain off, head bearings and linkages feel nice and smooth. Might not even open them this year.

The bad. Rear wheel bearings I replaced just a few months ago are shot already... I guess re-using the seals was a bad idea. Also I installed them dry. Perhaps I should cover them in waterproof grease this time. Anyone know of a bearing supplier with good prices? I used a local bearing shop, but they weren't cheap...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Re: winter tear down under way

getting ready to kick off my tear downs as well. think the WR steering bearings may be shot now. felt little stiff when i put the bikes away. TC BB kit is in, WR kit gets here Friday

on the bearings... did you check out All Balls? their kits come with bearings and seals for ~$25. mixed reviews on their products but i tried them for the TC steering anyway. so far so good although not the same as OEM.

Beta 200RR

I 'checked' my wheel bearings by shaking the wheels. No slop I can feel? RUN'EM! The next bearing change will involve new hubs so... I'm hoping to get some life out of these while I can.

This winter the WReck will get motor fluids, along with a new shift shaft, shifter and clutch springs. I may peek at the top end but I've barely run 3 tanks through it total. Grease will be tossed about with abandon, and the carb may have a date with an ultrasonic bath. If I can get my grubby mits on a PWK Quadvent Airstriker all bets on the bath are off.

TC BB kit??? tell me more...

I don't actually know who manufactured the wheels I'm using. The bearings are bigger that stock, so I didn't know what kit to get. Took them to a local bearing house for a match. If I remember, the part # was 3005, but my local parts guy couldn't tell me what kit would have the right bearings.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post

I don't actually know who manufactured the wheels I'm using. The bearings are bigger that stock, so I didn't know what kit to get. Took them to a local bearing house for a match. If I remember, the part # was 3005, but my local parts guy couldn't tell me what kit would have the right bearings.
    believe it or not there utes a place in bellingham that just sells bearings. just need to take what you have to them and the will match it

James

Yeah, I can get the bearings, I wouldn't mind having the option to get an MC specific kit with the seals at a decent price though.

Paul_E_D

ah, shit. didnt realize the wheels were aftermarket. no markings anywhere on the rim, huh?

yeah, bumping both bikes this winter got 'em in the basement ready and waiting...

the TC is getting a Fast By Ferracci 270 kit: cyl overbore + replate, hi-comp piston, rings, pin, clips and oversized headgasket

the WR is getting a custom 165 kit: piston, ring, pin, clips, machined head for prefect squish + comp, port / polished exhaust port to match the pipe, knife edged lower transfers, machined PVs

i got in on some sweet deals for both kits, saved about $500 total. neither kit will introduce any longevity issues and i keep all my stock parts as spares.

Beta 200RR

Schwing! Are you doing all the installs? Cause I'd be down to help out.

Careful with porting on the 165 jug. You don't want to gut the low/mid range.

Having teh stock spares is a good place to be, but you won't want to go back!

Paul_E_D

hehee, yeah, i'm psyched. gotta tinker with everything

i'm doing the installs, yup, but all the bore/plate/port/polish/machining/etc was done by pros. i'd love to learn some of it, but that stuff is an art. last step for the WR will be to have RB do the TMXX carb mod i wanted last winter. he experimented on a few and now offers the work. divider, low speed mods and his air screw.

sounds good on the help! i'll keep you posted once i schedule the timing. spring is gonna be fun.

Beta 200RR

Sounds good

Last edited by Paul_E_D; 01-03-12 at 04:09 PM.
    Paul_E_D

Shock refreshed by Kates, forks refreshed, new chain block and slider, new sprockets, new wheel bearings where needed, new linkage bearings where needed, waterproof grease everywhere the sun don't shine. I'm just waiting for a couple wheel bearings and seals.

I have to say that the Showa twin chamber forks they put on this thing are beautiful to look at, work on, and ride. Forks have been a pretty crude part up til the last 5 years or so. These things are like a swiss watch. I actually enjoy working on them.

Paul_E_D

OK, Bike is up out of basement and ready to go! It's always hard to go start wearing the thing out all over again after all this work.

Paul_E_D

my bike is down the bare frame at the moment. I just splurged and got crankcase splitter, crank bearing puller and a general bearing puller set. Now once they show up I can finally split the cases that are sitting on a stand and see what gears broke inside

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Haha, I was gonna suggest those tools. No more wrenching on a bowling ball.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by seth399 View Post
    my bike is down the bare frame at the moment. I just splurged and got crankcase splitter, crank bearing puller and a general bearing puller set. Now once they show up I can finally split the cases that are sitting on a stand and see what gears broke inside
    That's ok Seth, I really don't care about that motor anyways, I'm just going to put my 265 in. Thanks for stripping it down for me though. Just let me know when to expect it to arrive via UPS and in how many boxes, thanks!

hmm, too bad you couldn't stuff the 265 into that 125 frame Peter Kates had up for sale.

Beta 200RR

It crossed my mind, but I don't have any fabrication tools/skills so for now I'll stick with my old chassis. It really isn't that bad now that the suspension is fresh and correctly sprung. Some day I'll score a YZ tank and seat to cut the size down a touch but for now it works well enough.