Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Woods bike build

Woods bike build

Pretty much a copy and paste of what Ive already done with a complete bike at the end.

Most of the parts arrived at the shop today so I figured I would share. Building a dirty toy is a bit less intensive then a race bike at least for me. Once I get going I should be able to complete it in a day. Longest part of the process will be valving the suspension for the woods. Its not hard just a bit labor intensive. Most of the other stuff is just straight bolt on.

List of parts that are in...

Skid plate
    Skid plate foam (not being used)
    Hour meter

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x766.

FMF ti megabomb header
    Moose radiator guards
    Acerbis backbusters
    Fork air bleeders
    Hyde racing frame guards
    Hotcams valve shims

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x766.

Currently waiting for the rear disc guard to come in. Should be here by the end of the week. Also waiting on the FMF factory 4.1 muffler which is on back order. Hopefully in by mid March.

Future orders will be a scotts damper probably with their triple clamp. Im just waiting to determine which bar bend I will want.

Depending on weather this weekend I might be able to get the majority done except for muffler and damper set up.

I was going to do it all at the shop on the lift but when I looked at what I was doing I figured it was just as easy to do it at home. Now the lift can be used for customer projects

Tonight after work was the break down. I love working on dirt bikes. They are so simple. Took about 60min including taking time out for the photos and to locate some of the tools that are floating around.

Click for the slide show. (if anyone knows how to make it unclicky let me know)

Next steps will be setting up the suspension for the woods, jetting the carb and putting it back together with the new parts.

Today was suspension day. Ive done the complete how to service your forks and shock in the past so I didnt document this in much detail. Since these are brand new forks with 0 times on them Ive chosen to not separate the inner and outer fork legs. That will be done after probably after the riding season when its time to service the forks and replace the seals.

The starting point.

Most shocks are serviced in a similar manner so just a quick shot of the internals since we all know what a shock looks like assembled.

The forks on the CRF are dual chamber forks. Its pretty self descriptive. The inner chamber is the cartridge which is sealed off from the outer chamber. It contains oil and the valving. The outer chamber is the fork tubes. It holds the cartridge, spring, and oil which doesnt mix with the oil in the inner chamber.

Unlike most street bikes the compression is up top.

Valving out youll end up with this.

Then the outer chamber is loosened. If you notice its a little out of order. I got a little photo happy.

After the bolt on the bottom is removed the cartridge and spring are ready to be removed.

This is what you end up with from one fork leg. The other side is identical so mutiply the parts you see by two. What youre not seeing are the pieces in between the fork legs. Dust wiper, fork seals, bushings, and snap rings.

Now they are just waiting for PK to come up with a valve spec for the woods and work his magic.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    James

Re: Woods bike build

Time for the rest of the protection. We have Acerbis bark busters, frame guards, Moose rear disc guard and moose radiator guards.

The disc guard is a direct replacement of the stock one including the brake carrier.

Stock setup

Real Guard setup

Last edited by union; 04-08-10 at 07:45 AM.
    James

Radiator guards were next. Youre supposed to remove the radiator completely to do this. I didnt so it was a bit of a bitch snaking them around the hoses and radiators.

I guess I didnt get a photo but I had to shave down the ribbing on the shrouds to get them back on.

James

Bark busters installed.

Hour/tach meter installed. With the coil in the plug cap I had to wrap that instead of the plug wire as directed.

By this time the suspension is all done

Put on fork air bleeders. Helps reduce the pressure on the fork seal when transporting the bike.

Stock

Screw out

Bleeders in

James

Back ordered parts showed up the other day

Stock exhaust was a lot lighter then I expected.

The weight savings was only a couple of pounds. On my R6 is was 12lbs on this its about 2

Stock header

FMF mega bomb

Mid pipe

Muffler

Complete Went from dual mufflers to a singe. Also put in the 94db insert. Its much quieter.

Not shown. I rejetted the carb. Its pretty easy on this bike. It can be done with the carb left on the bike. Its a bit tight but wasnt too bad.

In the future hopefully there will be a triple clamp and steering damper setup. With the racing season close I just didnt have the extra money.

James

So when is the first ride? I got my bike going and it should be good for a few runs.

Bruce
    2007 VFR800 25th Anniversary
    2003 Honda RC51

Quote Originally Posted by mycirus View Post
    So when is the first ride? I got my bike going and it should be good for a few runs.
    Already did the break in ride last week. Trails officially open May 1st. I might get out for a little bit before that.

James

very nice James

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

nice dude!

Quote Originally Posted by DBConz View Post
    crouching tiger, hidden mondos

Nice work, spent some doe, but you save a ton doing it all your self, must be nice to have the know how.
    Enjoy.
    OT

It pays to play.

Ride fast,
    You will get farther before it is over!

That bike is beautiful.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    Hour/tach meter installed. With the coil in the plug cap I had to wrap that instead of the plug wire as directed.

looking good!

is that going to be under the tank?

I still haven't figured out how I'm going to mount mine. The sheet-metal-screws-into-hose-clamps idea might not be as brilliant as it was in my head

Quote Originally Posted by Bhavesh View Post
    looking good!

is that going to be under the tank?

I still haven't figured out how I'm going to mount mine. The sheet-metal-screws-into-hose-clamps idea might not be as brilliant as it was in my head
    On the frame rail. Wanted to be able to see it without removing pieces. Its held on with industrial velcro and zip ties.

James

You put a lot into this project. Very well thought out.