Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

WR 450 Dirty/SM build thread

Re: WR 450 Dirty/SM build thread

Quote Originally Posted by mondos06cbr1000 View Post
    i really love ur bike
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    mark, will i ever get to ride this bike?
    Well I guess it would be up the the new owner if I ever sold it
    While I own it? Not a chance, just being honest

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    While I own it? Not a chance, just being honest
    just checking...

your bike is gay and i hope you get a flat tire every time you ride it

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

A few updates, hope I can complete this little update before the power goes out..it's nasty outside

Most of the parts were in that I ordered from the dealer so I made the trip down there to pick them up Thursday after work.
    Biggest thing to make it ready to ride was to install the Cycra hand guards. I grew up riding with no hand guards and never thought twice about it, now I feel nakid without them.

Already tested them out as i sideswiped a tree Friday

The R6 switch came in as well and got that on the bike. Nothing is wired yet, still waiting for the flasher relay. I did prep the harness for the connections though and removed 2 wires that wouldn't be needed. Thanks again for that Kitt

Almost like it was made for the bike?

I plan on riding tomorrow at Pachaug (though I may not seeing it's been downpouring for hours now) so figured it'd be best to at least wire up the tail/brake light. I unstalled a pressure switch on the rear brake and wired it direct to an empty slot in the fuse block.

Even has a plate light

This could be a problem! All I could smell in my basement was pine needles and leaves. May need to look into an alternative skid plate, not to mention after 1 ride, the plastic one is showing signs of abuse!

That's it for now! Next up is to pick up the flasher relay and wire up the signals. I also have to find a location for the horn and wire that up as well.
    Oh yeah, and I really need that AIS kit to de-restrict this thing...this 1/3 throttle is for the birds

Yamaha

looks good mark!

mods look tight! nice werk, man

Beta 200RR

looking good mark...i did notice your skid plate was filled with that junk on friday when we finished.

Quote Originally Posted by DBConz View Post
    crouching tiger, hidden mondos

I forgot how much time is involved in making a wire harness I've got about 10 hours into it and I'm still not done! I ran out of the soft electrical connectors and booties and need to figure out where I can get more?
    Anyway, the turn signals are all hooked up and blinking properly, brake light works, and the horn beeps.
    The horn I kinda half assed for now until i locate more connectors, ended up just twisting and taping the wires, which I can't stand doing. I was hoping to mount it somewhere on the lower triples like I did on my KTM, but there was no room for it. I eneded up mounting it to one of the lower motor mount bolts near the oil dipstick. You don't notice it there, just not sure how well it's going to hold up with the mud and water. May put that to the test Saturday
    I also still have to wire the high beam, it's just a standard low beam now. Again, a simple job but i'm out of connectors.

No pictures yet, maybe I'll snap a few tomorrow

Yamaha

Dude.. seriously, I haven't logged onto this site for a few months.. (VFR is gone and hardly ever get the DRZ out of the shed anymore ) 2nd thread I read is that you bought another Yamaha.. and yet, I'm not surprised. LOL.

Congrats - can't wait to see it when its done.

-C

I ran out of the soft electrical connectors and booties and need to figure out where I can get more?
    what do you mean by soft electrical connectors and booties?

you probably already know all this, but...

inline butt connectors, closed end butt connectors, and male/female disconnects can be found at lowes, home depot, harbor freight, or even wal-mart (auto section with fuses and primary wire) in a bind:

do you heat shrink them too?

and if none of the above, what are you looking for?

Just Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Bhavesh View Post

inline butt connectors, closed end butt connectors, and male/female disconnects can be found at lowes, home depot, harbor freight, or even wal-mart (auto section with fuses and primary wire) in a bind:

If you're making a harness I would make sure all the splice points are soldered with a high lead content solder or crimped in a brass crimp with dielectric grease dotted in the connector. AL butt splices in an all weather machine are less than fun (heat shrunk or not).

I'd also use DE grease on all terminals..

Looking good Mark!

My 2 vices, not necessarily in order:
    www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

u can always stick blocks of foam behind the skidplate to block shit from building up too

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Quote Originally Posted by slideruleracer View Post
    Dude.. seriously, I haven't logged onto this site for a few months.. (VFR is gone and hardly ever get the DRZ out of the shed anymore ) 2nd thread I read is that you bought another Yamaha.. and yet, I'm not surprised. LOL.

-C
    We go through this every few months still!

Hey, bring that DRZ out here for an afternoon!

Paul_E_D

-C
    Chris, how have you and the family been? Be great to see you'z again sometime

I'll be sure to get some completed pictures

Yamaha

Nothing like those at all. They are the same style weatherproof connectors that used by the factories on newer bikes. I don't have a any pictures but I know for sure it's nothing like what you see at Home depo, etc. I bought the kit a few years ago from my local dealer, but that parts guy no longer works there. Rather than explain what it is to them, I need to bring the kit back and try to order refills. Worst case, I just buy another kit.

Quote Originally Posted by seth399 View Post
    u can always stick blocks of foam behind the skidplate to block shit from building up too
    That's not a bad idea..not a bad idea at all

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    We go through this every few months still!

Hey, bring that DRZ out here for an afternoon!
    I shouldn't be hijaacking the thread, but I'm sure you guys will forgive me.. Things have settled down enough that that might just be possible now. But my MA trail pass has expired... hmmm.

How's about we pull together another End of Season party at our new place? Just like the 'old' days!?

BTW, Mark, your SVX has me 'wicked' tempted.....I could ride on the street again and go back to TTDs...hmmmm....

-Chris

I shouldn't be hijaacking the thread, but I'm sure you guys will forgive me.. Things have settled down enough that that might just be possible now. But my MA trail pass has expired... hmmm.

How's about we pull together another End of Season party at our new place? Just like the 'old' days!?

BTW, Mark, your SVX has me 'wicked' tempted.....I could ride on the street again and go back to TTDs...hmmmm....

-Chris
    I like the idea of an end of the season party, my neighbors (Todd and Leigh) and myself have talked about doing the same. We had some fun at your parties Make sure Diane (sorry if I spelled it wrong, bad speller) has the blue drink mix ready

You're welcomed to come down and try the SXV out if you'd like, take it home for a week if you want to see how you like it. You're one of the few people I know that can handle the maintenance the bike needs

Last edited by R7; 10-30-09 at 08:30 PM.
    Yamaha

Ok, so I've dragged my heals on this for quite a while

The kit to removed the air pump thingy and jetting is still sitting in the bag it came in 3 months ago, so very little progress has been made to "uncork" it.

I also have the SuperMoto front brake calliper relocate bracket, which is still in the package it came it. So after the next wheel swap, I'll put that on and the big 320mm rotor.

The big news, as of today it has a valid Rhode Island street registration/title I owe ya for that one, you know who you are

So I took it for it's first quick ride as a SM today. I was VERY impressed with it's street maners. It wasn't twitchy at all with the throttle like my YZ, almost no vibration at speed, pretty impressive get up and go for it being so called "corked up". Handling felt a bit funny on the paved road, but I'm sure that was because I never checked the air pressures from last September and giving the finger push test, I'd say they were in the 10psi range I'll adjust that before i take it out again once the 3 day monsoon passes.
    Pretty happy and excited to ride a street legal Yammy SuperMoto and dirtbike this summer

Close, but so far it doesn't hit! I really don't want to install a chain block on this one like my YZ.

Yamaha

Just Registered

That's pretty sharp man! I look forward to purchasing it from you soon.

www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

Quote Originally Posted by ssg View Post
    That's pretty sharp man! I look forward to purchasing it from you soon.
    Chris, you'll be looking forward to purchasing it for a long long time Unless yamaha comes out with a EFi version that's street legal and doesn't weigh 300+lbs

Yamaha

I see you rock the skid plate for your dirty 2 wheel toys eh?

clean, sexy, and legal...just the way I like em!

is that chain almost hitting the tire?

Just Registered

you'll be looking forward to purchasing it for a long long time Unless yamaha comes out with a EFi version that's street legal and doesn't weigh 300+lbs

Dammit!

www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

Quote Originally Posted by elissama View Post
    I see you rock the skid plate for your dirty 2 wheel toys eh?
    Yup, but it's plastic I need them, I crash a LOT

clean, sexy, and legal...just the way I like em!

is that chain almost hitting the tire?
    Thanks
    Yes, the chain is very close, but not hitting. I'm sure time will tell but in my quick little ride yesterday, it didn't rub. That's a non O-ring chain and I'd like to use the stock O-ring for both dirty and SM like I did with my KTM...the O-ring may rub

Yamaha

Mark,
    Good work. That thing is awesome!

Nathan

A rainy afternoon and I couldn't decide what to do when I got home from work today? Went to the basement and saw the WR and figured it's about time I changed the jetting and got ride of the little air pump thing. I had bought the kit about 4 months ago to do this and it's been sitting on the shelf since.
    I have to say, what a total pain in the balls that was. 3 hours for something that was said to be 45 minutes
    I had to pull the exhaust off, subframe, rear shock, fuel tank+bodywork...then figure out the tricks to getting the carb off.

Anyway, probably took 5lbs off the bike between the hoses and pump unit and brackets...and gained some room for cleaning and maintenance.
    Changed the jetting in the carb, removed the "tamper proof" plug for the air/fuel screw, and put an adjustable needle in.
    Kind of excited to give it a try, as I was very impressed with the power even corked up.

There's also a crazy idea brewing in my head Swapping back and forth to dirt and Supermoto is kinda a pain in the balls with this bike, so i'm thinking keeping it full time SM seeing it has the street plate. I'd then have to use the YZ450 for a woods bike, and I thought about swapping the forks and rear shock from the WR to the YZ? The WR is nice and plush in the trails, the YZ is like a pogo stick. Am I thinking on the right track that if the YZ has the WR forks/shock, it'll be plush like the WR was?

Yamaha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12