Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Yamaha aims for the woods (and KTM) - 2015 YZ250FX + WR250F

Re: Yamaha aims for the woods (and KTM) - 2015 YZ250FX + WR250F

The 350exc has been on my sweetheart list since it came out. But, there are days like today where I was passing steaming 4 strokes stuck in the mud and using the super smooth 2 stroke action to put-put me along. I don't think that 2 stroke smoothness can be beat.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lulz ^^
    I found myself wishing for a 4t I didnt have to clutch so much!
    Did I say I wanted a 250xcf already? I do.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

How is a 2-stroke better for mud? What does 'steaming' mean? Heat is an issue on 2-strokes as well now, right?

Steaming-overheated.
    For whatever reason, the 2t are less prone to overheating. Only if you really get em stuck and wank on it.
    The woodsy smokers are generally very smooth in their power delivery. They are tunable to make them snappy if that's your thing, but most of them aren't set up like that.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Steaming-overheated.
    For whatever reason, the 2t are less prone to overheating. Only if you really get em stuck and wank on it.
    The woodsy smokers are generally very smooth in their power delivery. They are tunable to make them snappy if that's your thing, but most of them aren't set up like that.
    2 strokes use more fuel. So I am guessing that the increased volume of fuel helps to keep the crown temps down.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Lulz ^^
    I found myself wishing for a 4t I didnt have to clutch so much!
    Did I say I wanted a 250xcf already? I do.
    What happened with the cheater? I finally setup the Z-start correctly. It's perfect, no stalling or pulling, just smooooooth engagement.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Mine was slipping. And because they make you loctite the set screw after adjusting, their tool broke undoing the set screw.
    They sent another (for free) but it didn't show up in time. So rekluse came out, plates went back in.

This was not the race to re-learn how to use a clutch again.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

The stoppers were tough, but, doable with the my cheaters in place. If it got any worse further down it would be pure suck without the auto clutch. Trials tire was a bad choice.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

The exc/xcw are both platable. If you want to pass a full dot inspection AFTER you walk out of the registry with a tag get the exc. (the newer exc. previous gen exc was just the designation for Offroad bike)
    If you don't care about passing an inspection, skip the w and just get an xc, because it's a better woods bike.

Ive said this a thousand times: the "maintenance whore" thing is a myth. Anything is going to require more love than a drz. But a KTM is no worse than a crf, kx, yz, or rm.
    the new wr should be cammed significantly less aggressively that the xf counterpart. It also comes with lights out the box, and probably a lesser chassis/suspension/brakes. It's a price point bike, just like a drz.
    I'm still trying to figure the KTM badging out, but the "W" stands for wide ratio gearing. The XC is the two stroke model (5 speed) no lights, XC-W is 2T, has lights with wide gearing (6 speed). The XCF is the 4T, no lights, woods weapon, 5 speed. XCF-W is the 4T, lights, 6 speed. The only other differences in the KTM are the linkage versus the PDS suspension. Preferences abound as to which is better. I like the PDS. Is my info way off?

Yamaha is finally putting out a 6 speed tranny, with oversized radiators on the new WR. They are also changing the motor config to have 4 valves versus the normal 5 that have been on the bikes since the WR version came on the scene in 98. My WR is old vintage, but essentially bullet proof.

Last edited by Phat Twin; 10-23-14 at 12:40 PM.

Lifer

I used to be nervous about European bikes as well. Now, well over a full year after buying my 2012 350 EXC-F, I have not even had to adjust the valves once. It has not overheated even once (I have no fan). It has not even miss fired even once. It has never failed to start on the first try. It has been simply amazing.
    Like Bill (ZX12-R), my bike has never let me down - in any way. Bill and I rode each other's bikes at the NH Classic this year. I found his 500 to be a bit better at true "Dual sport" use. It just handles a wider range of speeds due to its gear ratio's and its motor characteristics. I still love my 350 for full on woods assault, though.
    The new Yamaha's will be great bikes - I am sure - but unless they come with "clean" CoO's, (doubtful) many folks will not consider buying one. For folks from other states, this may not be a problem, but here in MA, it matters. A lot.

Lifer

I'm getting really tired of you asshats gushing over these KTMs.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post

Seriously. I've spent way to much time looking at sites that I shouldn't!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

The two bikes in front are both 2012-2013 EXCs. Can you figure out which one is the 350 and which is the 500? There really isn't too much different about them. You should just go to the KTM enduro page and just pick one. You will be happy with any of them!

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by Phat Twin View Post
    I'm still trying to figure the KTM badging out, but the "W" stands for wide ratio gearing. The XC is the two stroke model (5 speed) no lights, XC-W is 2T, has lights with wide gearing (6 speed). The XCF is the 4T, no lights, woods weapon, 5 speed. XCF-W is the 4T, lights, 6 speed. The only other differences in the KTM are the linkage versus the PDS suspension. Preferences abound as to which is better. I like the PDS. Is my info way off?
    I could be wrong but I think they both have 6 speeds. The xcw has a very short first gear but it's wider as you go up. The xcw also has the non linkage suspension and open cartridge forks. Xc has a taller first gear and narrower between them. It has the linkage rear and new 4cs forks. Most people will tune the suspension to work for themselves and you can get both to work well. But the linkage tends to handle jumps and whoops better and the non linkage can slide over logs and soften sharp hits nicely.

There is also the husqvarna's and 6days which come with non linkage and 4cs forks. It's all differnet combos of the same parts. Kind of like Taco Bell.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

After getting back in to dirt biking this spring on a used 2004 Honda XR250R, I fell in love with dirty riding again. So much so that I decided to buy a brand new bike last month. After lots and lots of research and several hours at Motorbikes Plus in Portsmouth (great people there), I drank the orange koolaid and picked up a brand new 2015 KTM 350 XCF-W. They added the necessary horn, brake light switch and mirror, then I rode out with a plated woods weapon. Couldn't be happier after 22 hours now on the machine. It has taken my confidence and abilities up a notch or two.

Bubba, come ride with me, you can try out the KTM and also ride the XR250R, I also have a plated XR400R for sale you can ride.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yamaha aims for the woods (and KTM) - 2015 YZ250FX + WR250F-191ac1e4-2b23-436f-b160-3fdd5c9b54b1  

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by No Quarter; 10-24-14 at 09:17 AM.
    2018 Aprilia Touno Factory
    2018 Ducati Desert Sled
    2017 Honda Grom (lot's of Mods)
    2016 KTM 300 XC-W, 2015 KTM 350 XCF-W

Bubba...you're soooo fucked hahahaha.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

but what would he do for sumo duty after getting his 350?

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Yeah, you're a little off.
    Plus they've changed what some of their designations are over the years, so it's a little more difficult.
    The woods race platform is the xc. Linkage rear, closed chamber front forks, no lights (out the box, but all the plugs are there in the harness) there's the xc and xcf. 2&4t 6spd

The w is a pds bike with the open chamber forks. Has a headlight taillight and odo too. The current wide ratio tranny is a 6spd. It should be noted that 1st and second gears are lower than the xc. 3-6 are the same. The wide is the gaps from 1-3. 2t xcw, 4t xcfw

The current exc's are street legal versions of the xcfw from the factory.

I could totally be wrong, but I think all the new KTM woods bikes have a 6spd.

Quote Originally Posted by Phat Twin View Post

Yamaha is finally putting out a 6 speed tranny, with oversized radiators on the new WR. They are also changing the motor config to have 4 valves versus the normal 5 that have been on the bikes since the WR version came on the scene in 98. My WR is old vintage, but essentially bullet proof.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by No Quarter View Post
    Bubba, come ride with me, you can try out the KTM and also ride the XR250R, I also have a plated XR400R for sale you can ride.
    I seriously need to come riding with you. From FB, I can tell you've found the spots too. I am so disappointed I wasn't able to ride the Classic thing with you guys this year.

Replacement subframe for the DRZ is supposedly on a truck headed for my doorstep. Unfortunately I also have half a roof to install shingles on this weekend.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    but what would he do for sumo duty after getting his 350?
    Why wouldn't a plated KTM 4-stroke 350 or 500 work as a part time sumo?!

They'd be fine, especially if it was a 15 with no more needle bearings on the crank.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

They'd be fine, especially if it was a 15 with no more needle bearings on the crank.
    I think the needle bearings have been gone since 2013??? I know it's been at least a couple years now.
    Also, if i was going to do double duty (woods & sumo) I would have gone for the bigger grunt 500.

2018 Ducati Desert Sled

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

you all are torturing me. thank you

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

I seriously need to come riding with you. From FB, I can tell you've found the spots too. I am so disappointed I wasn't able to ride the Classic thing with you guys this year.

Replacement subframe for the DRZ is supposedly on a truck headed for my doorstep. Unfortunately I also have half a roof to install shingles on this weekend.
    Surely you can escape for an hour or two. I only live 10 minutes away. All you have to do is show up with your ridin gear. We can be on the trails in less than a mile from my house. All 3 bikes are plated. PM me for my cell#.

2018 Ducati Desert Sled

This November issue of Dirtbike tests the 2015 KTM 300 XC and calls it the best dirtbike ever for beginners and experts alike. I WANT I WANT I WANT

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast