Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Does anyone know Yamaha TTR 225???

I know where I can get a 2004 TTR 225 for the asking price of $1800.

Can anyone tell me anything about this bike?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Littering and........

Is that the one in the Free Press? If it is, it sounds like a really good deal.

Go buy it and come riding with us tomorrow.

4-stroke, air-cooled, tank of a bike with electric start. Not very svelte, but its simple & reliable. Not a bike to go very fast on (unless you weigh <80 lb). Although not a tall bike, its kinda girthy, so the short of inseam may have trouble getting their feet planted. Not a good bike for a small child, but fine for a smaller adult or teen to start out with.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Originally posted by highsider
    Is that the one in the Free Press? If it is, it sounds like a really good deal.

Go buy it and come riding with us tomorrow.
    I am in Wisconsin at the moment. I will be home EARLY Saturday.

I do not know if it is in the Free Press, A friend has oneon his front lawn for sale (one of his freidns bikes).

$1800 is halfway between retail and trade in...

Where do you guys ride? IF I buy it I would definately have to get out there with it.

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Originally posted by ChR1s
    4-stroke, air-cooled, tank of a bike with electric start. Not very svelte, but its simple & reliable. Not a bike to go very fast on (unless you weigh <80 lb). Although not a tall bike, its kinda girthy, so the short of inseam may have trouble getting their feet planted. Not a good bike for a small child, but fine for a smaller adult or teen to start out with.

Well I am about 200# and will be 36 this sunday...

Maybe it is not the right bike, although I may be able to use it to teach the wife on.

What do you guys think?

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

My friend Todd has one and he loves it for the trails, says it's easy and fun to ride. So if you're trail riding, I'd say go for it...especially if you want to teach the wife to ride as well.
    And it'll still do 65mph with a 200lb rider on it... that is according to a very accurate KTM speedometer

Yamaha

Offer the guy no more than trade value for the bike $1450. My wife had a 2002 ttr225 we had it up for sale for almost a year, ended up getting rid of it for less than trade value $900 just to get it out of the garage. We tried to trade it toward her street bike, the dealers didn't want it, said they were too hard to move off the floor.
    Tell him you know what the bike is worth and that no one else wants them. Worst case is he says no and calls you back a few days later with a counter offer.

Its not that it isn't a good bike, it is, its a great woods bike, but by no means a good jumping or motocrosser. Easy to toos around by a full sized guy. But good for a beginner smaller rider

The problem with it is that most kids want to graduate to a "fun bike" ie the motocrossers or the enduros, not a big klunky 225. So resale is limited to the older folk.

The fact that its electric start is a huge help for the beginner but once you get used to it as an experienced rider , you probably won't want to go back to a kicker.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

Originally posted by theothersean
    Offer the guy no more than trade value for the bike $1450. My wife had a 2002 ttr225 we had it up for sale for almost a year, ended up getting rid of it for less than trade value $900 just to get it out of the garage. We tried to trade it toward her street bike, the dealers didn't want it, said they were too hard to move off the floor.
    Tell him you know what the bike is worth and that no one else wants them. Worst case is he says no and calls you back a few days later with a counter offer.

Its not that it isn't a good bike, it is, its a great woods bike, but by no means a good jumping or motocrosser. Easy to toos around by a full sized guy. But good for a beginner smaller rider

The problem with it is that most kids want to graduate to a "fun bike" ie the motocrossers or the enduros, not a big klunky 225. So resale is limited to the older folk.

The fact that its electric start is a huge help for the beginner but once you get used to it as an experienced rider , you probably won't want to go back to a kicker.

Great advice here! Thanks. Do you know if I can get Motard tires for it and make it into a streetbike?

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Originally posted by Doc
    Great advice here! Thanks. Do you know if I can get Motard tires for it and make it into a streetbike?
    I won't motard anything less than a 450 for street use, even then not as a daily driver.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yeh, anything smaller than a 400 for the street has issues getting out of its own way, it might be good in the tight woods or the city but just doesn't have the excelleration and top speed needed to deal with entering traffic and highway use.

Plus if i remember the rear has drum brakes. kind of a pain to get that set up for motarding.

As for street bike use, yamaha does make all the stuff you need for it, as they already have a dual sport model the xt225. But the $ you are going to spend to make the ttr into a dualsport, you are better off looking for a used dualsport to begin with like a suzuki drz400. The great deal you get up front on the ttr wil be spent in the long run trying to make it something it isn't.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

My wife has one and loves it...

That said, heed the advice above.

Personally, I don't think it's a good bike for a guy, unless he's real small.

And don't even think of Motarding it.

It's good for a smaller guy to learn on... or a woman that will never really ride fast (such as my wife)

They are bullet proof and easy to ride at a slow to medium pace.

I actually prefer riding her bike through gnarly stuff at a slow pace because the suspension just absorbs everything while my bike "bounces" off stuff until you pick the speed up.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

I have the dual sport version, street-legal XT225. It's a good, bulletproof bike but does have soft suspension (that can be improved upon). I am 5'8" and 175lbs (depending) and in the woods it is fine. The only time I wish I had more power is being able to wheelie over logs, but other than that, I don't see how you would use more power in tight single track. I would never take it on a MX track. Don't ask me why I know.

What specifically are you looking to do with it? I had one for a few years. If it's for your wife I can give more of info. Not sure how it is for a 200# man.

06 ninja650 street bike
    06 KLX250 dual sport

Not buying it. It was sold before I could get home.

I bought the KLR300r instead.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

good choice!

that always seemed like a nice bike

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Re: Does anyone know Yamaha TTR 225???

I have a 2002, and I liked it so much I bought another one, just because the guy sold it cheap. Now, my friend is buying my second one, and selling her Honda CRF150, because the TTR is so much more fun to ride, and easier to start. I also have a TTR 230, and I'm a diehard Yamaha girl. You just can't beat em. : )

Um... thread resurrections are usually reserved for bump Fridays...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Um... thread resurrections are usually reserved for bump Fridays...
    sorry, didn't know you guys have rules here lol. Was just answering a question. ...............bye

Quote Originally Posted by Kizzy1963 View Post
    sorry, didn't know you guys have rules here lol. Was just answering a question. ...............bye
    ...it was asked 6 years ago

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

wow...sean's answer actually hit it dead on...

the ttr is really not a desirable bike...only good if it's really cheap!