Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

YZ250x

YZ250x

No thread on this yet, who's buying one? Very appealing to me, despite the lack of a magic button. I've looked at converting a standard YZ to a woodsy bike and it gets cost prohibitive pretty quick. Simply add larger gas tank, skid, handlebar farkles and it's ready to rip!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

Re: YZ250x

Where't the light kit?
    How much of a pain in the ass is this to street reg?

Biggest problem with that bike is a used KTM.

I already have one, 'cept mine's a 1992...

it's getting real good reviews from Hare Scramble racers.

it's amazing to me that Japan doesn't want to compete in this segment. shit, f'in TM, Sherco and now FANTIC are starting to enter the US more (!)

Beta 200RR

The Japanese brands believe they ARE competing in that segment with the milder, e-start variants of their MX four strokes. Yamaha is the oddity with a large two stroke, and even odder now that there are two flavors of it.

Light kits are readily available if you want one.

I'd imagine it's no more of a problem to street reg than any other dirt bike that states off road only on the MSO.

Personally, I don't want a used KTM, I want a new Yamaha.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Personally, I don't want a used KTM, I want a new Yamaha.
    Yup.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Lifer

I just don't understand these "x" models. They don't seem different enough from the regular YZ's to make it worth it. This is especially true with the YZ450F/FX/WR.

The WR should be a dual-sport with full lights and be 50 state. - I just read that the '16 WR450F is already even CA "green sticker" compliant.
    The X should be a performance enduro with minimal lights and YMMV plateyness.
    The base YZ should be MX centric.

My point about used KTMs is that used KTMs are fuggin' EVERYWHERE and so cost effective vs these new Yamahas. Same problem with Beta.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I just don't understand these "x" models. They don't seem different enough from the regular YZ's to make it worth it. This is especially true with the YZ450F/FX/WR.
    Simple, this one has a wide ratio transmission, lower compression, different head, exhaust valve, power valve. It's also equipped with a super plush KYB suspension.

The YZ250X is actually more separated from it's MX base than the thumpy-lumps from their progenitor. Besides the 18" rear, spark arrester muffler, wide ratio box and revised boingers, the cdi, cylinder, power valve bits, power valve governor and exhaust are all different. That all results in a vastly different motor feel, it's actually got a spread of power (in comparison) including much more overrev.

It's more like a KTM XC-W 200 vs SX 250 than you'd figure looking at just side by side pics.

Lifer

And the truth is the 200 XC-W doesn't come with lights either. And since I live in NH I could give a damn about what they stamp on their MSOs.

Simply feels like missed opportunity. Do the KTM/Beta thing and make this easy to register in MA. Then flood the market and give me a nice selection to pick from on the used market in a couple years.

And the truth is the 200 XC-W doesn't come with lights either. And since I live in NH I could give a damn about what they stamp on their MSOs.

Simply feels like missed opportunity. Do the KTM/Beta thing and make this easy to register in MA. Then flood the market and give me a nice selection to pick from on the used market in a couple years.
    They probably aimed it at the racing community. Nobody who races woods that I know of has their bike street reg'd.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Lifer

You don't know chipper or jc?
    I should introduce you. They are swell.

You don't know chipper or jc?
    I should introduce you. They are swell.
    If you polled racers at a j day or harescramble as to whether or not their woods bike was registered, I bet under 10% would answer that they are registered.

JC and Chip are old and washed up, so they have to add road sections for a break.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Shots fired?!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Unless you're racing enduro's, a street registration has lost its value/appeal IMHO. Not really sure what the fuss is about that anymore...with each state requiring their own off road sticker anyways.
    I have no plans to plate my Beta XTrainer, its not worth the time, effort and cash

Yamaha

Lifer

99.9% of the time my 200 is at Clough or on ice; sticker, but no plate required. I still pay the ~$100/yr to plate and insure it, just in case.
    In dirt terms I'm probably old and not even washed, just up.

Anyway. Yamaha should make true high-perf models that *can* be plated if you want, like the euros do. That'd be swell. I'm kind of annoyed that KTM (and now Beta) seem to be the only players in that game. </point>

Last edited by nhbubba; 07-28-16 at 06:36 AM.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

You do realize that most of the KTMs that are able to be street registered are only able to do so through a small loophole where they do not have anything on the MCO that says "for offroad use only" or through states that let you register just about anything with wheels? I'm fairly certain that the majority of the KTMs that are street registered have not been put through the rigorous testing required to make them "50 state road legal"

Lifer

My understanding is that the EXC models so many of our circle ride are 50 state with zero issues.
    But yes, I understand that. Whatever the details, I don't understand why the japanese makes don't take advantage of the same loophole.
    Also I was under the impression that the euros had met some emissions reqs the japanese had not. Maybe this is wrong. I read that the WR450F has more emissions crap than the YZ450FX. Not clear on how those models line up with the KTM 500 XC-W and EXC with respect to emissions.

Maybe what I'm trying to say is : dear Yami, please give us a WR250. A 2-stroke, almost street legal that checks the same emissions tick boxes as the KTM and Beta 250/300cc 2-strokes, has the 21/18 "woods" wheel setup, has a lighting coil big enough to push a full set of lights, and don't stamp the MSO. That's be a pretty slick bike.

Whatever. Said my bit. I appear to be the only one that finds issue with this. Good news for Yami.
    I personally would not buy a machine that could not be street reg'ed. Fortunately here in NH that's pretty wide open.

My understanding is that the EXC models so many of our circle ride are 50 state with zero issues.
    The EXCs are 50 state legal. Compared to the off-road only XC/XC-W, they have a different fuel map that's locked down (can be changed with KTM equipment), additional emission controls (PCV valve), blinkers, headlight with high-beam, brake light, horn, mirrors, and DOT tires. As part of the bike setup, my dealer did the PCV delete and loaded the XC-W fuel map.

In previous generations of the EXC, the engines used less expensive components compared to the off-road only models that are intended for racing. Since the 2012 update, the engine internals are identical between the EXCs and the XC/XC-Ws.

Last edited by ZX-12R; 07-28-16 at 08:23 AM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    If you polled racers at a j day or harescramble as to whether or not their woods bike was registered, I bet under 10% would answer that they are registered.

JC and Chip are old and washed up, so they have to add road sections for a break.
    You have to be good in the first place to be washed up. I would agree that I'm one of few running a plate at those events, but maybe other people take them off. A full enduro is an undertaking, it's the hardest athletic event I've ever participated in, much harder than the 2 hours straight of a hair scramble for myself.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

I'd say there are fewer people close to or in trails, wanting to plate a smoker vs. those who don't bother with the expense and just truck their bikes out

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-28-16 at 03:51 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Hell, I'd rather rather truck it to the trail. Have a quality McDonald's breakfast on the way with a hash brown, listen to NPR, then ride. When complete, take off sweaty gear, ride home in the comfort of my AC hopefully in time to catch "All Things Considered."

^ hahaa, i hope that's for real ... 2 sausage 'burritos' w/hash on the way out to the Berkshire forests was my thing for a while now it's an egg sammich from the local shack...

ADDICTION, it's real.

i miss NPR. (haven't commuted in years)

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast