Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

YZ250X vs XCW250

YZ250X vs XCW250

Pro’s and cons with each?

Given the choice, what would you buy?

The YZ is $1200 less new than the ktm, but also no e start, lights, etc.
    Yamaha being the most trouble free brand I’ve ridden, it’s hard to not want a blue bike, but something is attracting me to the KTM.
    Why no XCW 200 anymore?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

Re: YZ250X vs XCW250

paging Sideshow ... his YZX is rad. you need one.

Beta 200RR

Get the Yam

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Definitely the 250 XCW, you can get it with FI as of this year

I would love a 250X, looks like a really excellent bike and will definitely save a bit of cash, but the KTM is has more in terms of enduro-desirable factory equipment. Headlight, 6 speed gear box, high output stator, PDS rear suspension (many people don't care) and it is a few lights away from being plate-able.

I'm not sure how much more the TPI is vs the carb'd model, and I'm not sure if it's been US released yet. I think it's supposed to be a mid-2018 release here.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I’ve owned an 09 250xc and currently a 14 yz250 (non-x) model. I’m happier with the YZ but the KTM is a great bike too. All two strokes kickstart so easily that the estart is a non issue for me...I didn’t even bother repairing the estart on my KTM and pulled a holeshot nonetheless at Southwick Jday GP, dead engine start.

I’d add the non-x YZ two smoke to your list and plan to add flywheel weight and guards for woods riding, personally. The x version is way detuned, from what I’m told (so based solely on seat of pants reviews from riders whose opinions I trust) and the x is slightly harder to find/more expensive. If money is an issue, the YZ 250 has been VERY similar since 2006, so good deals on good used bikes are everywhere, too.

The KTM is much more expensive at every stage, needs more suspension work, and for me the geometry feels better on the yz, but I ride more track and less tight woods, so ymmv

Lifer

What are you riding? Track or woods? Do you want a plate?
    Lights, e-start and such add up. If you want those it sure seems the KTM gets you there right from the showroom floor.

I'd go for the KTM. My 200 is pretty damned easy to live with. Parts are not free but they don't seem obscene. Plenty of dealer support here in New England. And you see lots of KTMs at events. Lots of aftermarket support. They are well loved and for good reason methinks.

The hydro clutch alone would do it for me.

My 200 is such a pleasure to ride. The only thing I'd trade it for is a 300 XC-W.

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Why no XCW 200 anymore?
    Going to go out on a limb and guess it was because few bought them.
    I ride a 200 XC-W that's been mucked with to make it an XC. It's stupid rare. I see orange 250 and 300 2-strokers everywhere, but never 200's. Riders on the bigger bikes will always remark that the 200 is such a great bike or the bike to have for New England woods or some such. Yet they're always riding something else!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    The hydro clutch alone would do it for me
    I couldn’t disagree more.

A well maintained cable clutch is: easy one finger operation, light, trail macguyverable, reliable, cheap, and easy to adjust, maintain, or repair. What problem are we solving with hydro, exactly, that tips the whole choice of bike decision on its existence? And whatever the answer is, is it worth taking the bad side of every one of those criteria above (except pfft “lever feel” maybe..)

Parts are unnecessary and expensive, malfunctions are real and not easy to fix, they are more likely to be wrecked in a crash, and I’ve missed riding daysSSS because of misbehaving hydro clutches. I don’t give a shit if world beater KTM thinks they are a good idea for dirtbikes; I don’t. #FUCKthosethings #expensivesolutionforanonexistentproblem

Last edited by Imbeek; 05-03-18 at 09:48 AM.

So you're saying you don't like hydro clutches?

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I’m saying I sure as HELL wouldn’t choose a bike based on the fact it had one. Maybe the opposite...

I'd get the blue bike.

But I also own a Ford truck... So take that for what it's worth.

I have no plans to plate it, not worth the time and effort in my opinion.

I’d ride it mostly on my farm, probably 90% of the time. Typical New England type trails, rocks, roots, mud, etc. Other 10% would be a trip or two to Maine, or same for mass state forests.

Also power wise, I think the lower power of the YZ would suit me better.

I think I’m leaning towards the 250x, and it seems there are a lot available.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

Blue Cru sounds solid. You can take the cash difference and give it lights. Yamis start easy as pie.

That said. I FUKKING love my Husky TE300. Easily the best offroad bike i've ever ridden.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    I don’t give a shit if world beater KTM thinks they are a good idea for dirtbikes; I don’t. #FUCKthosethings #expensivesolutionforanonexistentproblem
    Meh. Seems I hit a nerve here.

I think the hydro clutch on my 200 is heavenly. One finger op. Self adjusts, one less thing to dick with. Consistent, regardless of machine or air temp. Just fucking works. Change the fluid every other season or so while doing brake juice. Master needed a rebuild once. Staggering setback.

With the cheater lever Chip turned me onto the thing is telepathic.

Wish my street bikes all had hydro clutches.

Personally, any improvements in lever effort or lack of having to adjust the cable (never had to fiddle with that beyond the initial setting) from a hydro setup are offset by the lack of direct feedback I get from cable setups? I much prefer the cable for telegraphing more of what's going on compared to hydros that at best just give me variable resistance based roughly on plate position.

But that's my personal opinion, which will be moot when manual transmissions go the way of the dodo.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Meh. Seems I hit a nerve here.

I think the hydro clutch on my 200 is heavenly. One finger op. Self adjusts, one less thing to dick with. Consistent, regardless of machine or air temp. Just fucking works. Change the fluid every other season or so while doing brake juice. Master needed a rebuild once. Staggering setback.
    I have had the opposite experience. The hydraulic clutch on my KTM is a huge pain in the ass. Difficult to bleed, prone to leaking at the slave, and tricky to adjust.

I would gladly ditch it in favor of a cable clutch.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Lifer

My 200 is a magura running baby oil. I think the bigger bikes are all brembo running dot 4. Maybe that's the difference.
    Maybe I'm just wrong. It's rare, but it happens.

If you aren’t plating it, and I’m spending your money, I’d get the Yamaha. I want you to have it, because I’ll never buy one.
    The differnce in cost can easily be soaked up in getting the blue suspension spot on, and yeah, that counts for something.
    Otherwise, a clutch is a clutch is a clutch to me.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Sideshow (Chris) has made very minimal tweaks to his, maybe some gearing and guards. it goes like stink and runs like a top. drop him a PM, not sure how often he visits here. i think he did springs only as far as the boingers go. he rides the same terrain you'll use this new bike on.

if i wasn't so into the EuroTrash, i'd have a YZX. it just seems like the perfect mix of tried & true + moto roots + woods edits ... right out of the box.

Beta 200RR

If you could plate it easily, I’d be right there too.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

250x! Reviews are awesome...retuned for woods and more fun in the woods than the already awesome yz250 MX bike!

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Btw congrats on already narrowing it down to the most important part: two stroke FTW!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

For what it's worth, there seems to be a a steady sway from orange to blue among the racers. If you want lights and keeping the door open to plating it, does it have to be 2-stroke? Because the WR250F covers those bases. They took the new YZ and did the enduro-bike conversion for you.

If you're doing 90% riding at your farm, and looking at brand new bikes, why not Alta? New tech apprehension? If so, I get it. Not trying to turn this in to another e-bike debate.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Btw congrats on already narrowing it down to the most important part: two stroke FTW!
    I was riding 4 strokes up until 2011 when I bought my xcw200, I realized then how much the extra weight wears me down. Looking at specs now, comparable 4 strokes are still 30+ lbs heavier than the smokers. I really like the power delivery and torque of my current Xtrainer, if only it was more reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    For what it's worth, there seems to be a a steady sway from orange to blue among the racers. If you want lights and keeping the door open to plating it, does it have to be 2-stroke? Because the WR250F covers those bases. They took the new YZ and did the enduro-bike conversion for you.

If you're doing 90% riding at your farm, and looking at brand new bikes, why not Alta? New tech apprehension? If so, I get it. Not trying to turn this in to another e-bike debate.
    I’ve always felt the main reason ktm’s were so popular in this area was the ease of getting a dirtbike plated for enduros, and I have bought ktms based on the ability to get a plate easily as well.

Electric doesn’t excite me enough to pay for it yet.

Yamaha

My orange hydro clutch has been perfect and maintenance free since I bought it in 2013. Must be because it's a 4T.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

My 250x is the shit. Does everything well right out of the box.
    It hauls ass, handles great, I can get parts anywhere and is very reliable.
    Add some guards, tweak the gearing to your liking and it’s good to go.

I was also considering the 17 KTM250XCW and suspension was the biggest deciding factor for me. IMO the stock KYB SSS forks blow the WP away.

I don’t care about having a 6th gear in NE ST. Also, my YZX clutch is buttery smooth so the hydro is not that big of a deal.
    E Start would be nice when things get real nasty but that is only a small part of the riding I do so no Big deal there.

You can get everyone’s opinion on what to buy but obviously the only way to know is to ride them. You pretty much can’t go wrong either way.

Good Luck

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast