Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

YZ426

YZ426

My friend out here in CA found a 2002 YZ426 for $1,400

anyone know these bikes? any major reasons to walk away?

I figure for $1,400, if it runs and "looks" like it's in good shape, I'll ride it until it explodes, and that's a cheap way for me to get back into dirt bikes

I've torn an RM125 down to the cases, so I know which basic things to look for...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: YZ426

I would get back in to it with a 2T. Lots more pieces in those 4T to fix when they go bad. But I am probably just a 2T fan.

2013 ZX6R-636

Don't do it Bahvesh. There's nothing mechanically wrong with YZ's, but big 4 strokes in the woods are like wrestling a water buffalo. I'm trying to sell my 450 XCF right now to go back to a smaller framed bike. It's on NEDB and Msstrailrider right now.

There are a few really nice YZ250F's and a few CRF 250's on Craigslist for $2400~2600 right now. If you need something a little less money, I can get you a really good deal on an 04 250 EXC that has a recent top end and is owned by a 50 year old friend of mine. It has many hours on it, but I know the bike well enough to recommend it.

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

Not to Mention that The YZ426 Is notorious for being the Hardest bike to start EVER. A real leg breaker. You have to Hit the decompression Lever at the exact micro-second or the bike will not start. I would not take one of those if it was free.

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

I paid 2200 for a 2004 YZF with about a 1/2 hour total time. Doctor bought it and realized it was too dangerous for his liking. I was patient. Learned prices and waited. I searched NH MA RI CT and it was in the Hudson Valley yet showed up in the CT Craigslist. Lotta fools trying to sell their trash for big money. Ya gotta pour over lots of ads to find something nice. Right now on Ebay there is a KTM 250 2007 and it still has the original grease and little tits on the tires. Its showroom.

Ya'all forgetting the kid lives out west now?
    Like the squirrel, I wouldn't touch it. It'd probably be a beast to rip around on out there where it's way more open, but if you ever stalked the thing hot, forget it. 2t 250. Find, buy, smile.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

OOPS , I forgot he was in the land of fruits and nuts. In the desert I would love my 450, but a YZ250 or KX250 2 stroke is better desert bike on the cheap.

Sounds like a few here have no idea how to start the beast and are passing on bad information
    There's a simple trick to starting them..hot or cold, stalled or flooded, I have never ever had an issue starting the 01 YZ 426 I had..or the WR250 with the same decomp lever..or the WR426 I had which also had the same decomp lever.
    The motors are solid, if it's been somewhat taken care of, you won't need to worry about the extra moving parts in the 4-stroke vs 2-stroke..because it's not going to let you down. If you were here in New England and wanted it as a woods ride, i'd say no..but out west, I say buy it, gas, oil, Go!!!!!

Yamaha

yep, I'm out in cali for now...no woods out here, just desert, MX, and wide hard pack trails like this:

^^ that riding is the closest, and where I'm going to spend most of my time

I did want a 250 2t, but CA bike market is a little inflated...because it's so expensive out here and everyone's so poor, a lot of private party owners and dealerships scan for "good deals" on bikes, offer $100 more, and walk away with them hours after posting to re-sell them at a higher price. Over time, craigslist becomes just a listing of re-sold bikes at dealership prices or POS bikes for too much money. $1,400 gets me a 250 2t bike from the early 90's.

This bike is actually from a friend who just spends his time on craigslist hunting for deals...and a quick search of CL shows that this price is $100-$200 less

I think I'll try to start it myself...like Mark said, it's a methodology...I'm going to try and figure it out

besides, you guys need a bike to ride if you dirty bastards ever come visit the west coast

You've seen my build, I can hot start most any thumper. If *I* can figure it out...