Shock opinions

Shock opinions

Looks like Ohlins and Penske are the 'go to' shocks around NHIS, haven't played with Penske but I do know Ohlins from both Ducs and minis. Great shock when you can afford them.

I've found one person selling a Fox 'Twin Clicker' used, I know Works makes a direct fit unit new for $400... Am I doing myself a disservice trying to find a used unit, or something other than the two NHIS favorites, or is there some other brand I should be looking for for the GS500? (It's been suggested to me that WP has a unit that'll fit, Ohlins might have a direct fit as well?)

Suspension is the one area that's going to make or break this rig, so while I want to keep my budget in check, I don't want to save a buck only to cost myself 5 later on when the cheap option doesn't do me any favors.

(And not directly shock related, but has anyone played with ProMecha Provalve fork cartridge emulators? They use a shim stack instead of a spring valve ala Racetech?)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX

Fork oil in my veins.... gmdboston's Avatar

Shock opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Looks like Ohlins and Penske are the 'go to' shocks around NHIS, haven't played with Penske but I do know Ohlins from both Ducs and minis. Great shock when you can afford them.

I've found one person selling a Fox 'Twin Clicker' used, I know Works makes a direct fit unit new for $400... Am I doing myself a disservice trying to find a used unit, or something other than the two NHIS favorites, or is there some other brand I should be looking for for the GS500? (It's been suggested to me that WP has a unit that'll fit, Ohlins might have a direct fit as well?)

Suspension is the one area that's going to make or break this rig, so while I want to keep my budget in check, I don't want to save a buck only to cost myself 5 later on when the cheap option doesn't do me any favors.

(And not directly shock related, but has anyone played with ProMecha Provalve fork cartridge emulators? They use a shim stack instead of a spring valve ala Racetech?)
    I have a used Penske for the GS in the shop, I'll find out what the owner wants for it.

"If you can't afford to do it right, how are you going to afford to do it over?"-PK
    Shop Services: Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two.

Shock opinions

Cool, let me know, along with any added costs to refresh it if needed, as well as spring/valving changes to account for my weight. (I'm only 145lbs fully suited up, so I imagine most shocks I'm looking at will be over sprung for me.)

What are your thoughts on fork tube repair? One of mine has got some pitting encroaching on the swept area, a new unit is going to run $150 to $180 from Suzuki, I dunno what the cost would be to rechrome.

771 Racing -=- FaceBook

Shock opinions

SV650 shock should bolt right up too...

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Shock opinions

You have to drill a new mount point on the lower mount, and cut off the excess bracket, plus the SV650 shock raises the ride height in back a good 1.5 inches.

And I'd still be pushing a stock shock with unknown valving and spring rate. : ) I rather pay a bit more and get something that I at least know can be adjusted to match my setup/riding.

771 Racing -=- FaceBook

Shock opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    SV650 shock should bolt right up too...

Wrong shock for the app. Dangerous.

"If you can't afford to do it right, how are you going to afford to do it over?"-PK

Shock opinions

ahh....

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Re: Shock opinions

Quote Originally Posted by gmdboston View Post
    I have a used Penske for the GS in the shop, I'll find out what the owner wants for it.
    Bumping this up, is the shock still on the market? If so sling me a price, including a service if needed, and an appropriate spring for a 135lb before gear rider.

771 Racing -=- FaceBook

Bumping this up, is the shock still on the market? If so sling me a price, including a service if needed, and an appropriate spring for a 135lb before gear rider.
    Sold a while ago.

Drat, oh well. Is Penske still offering a GS500E fitment new? (Ohlins doesn't list one that I can find.)

771 Racing -=- FaceBook

Drat, oh well. Is Penske still offering a GS500E fitment new? (Ohlins doesn't list one that I can find.)
    Yes they do, Sport shocks (no Res. or Compression damping Adjuster) start at $553, 8983 $770, 8987 $1075 I need 4 weeks to get one made for you.