Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Clarification regarding troopers 8/11/09

Clarification regarding troopers 8/11/09

First let us start off by asking that no one turns this thread into a crazy banter back and forth about this subject. We just wanted to post a couple of points.

Let us start by stating a few facts:

Motorcyclenight is held on State property which we secure a permit for each week. We charge $3 for any bike that attends and parks within the field that our event is held on. Any people walking into the event are not charged anything. THIS IS AN EVENT THAT IS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC, rider or not.

We did not have any prior knowledge about the visit by the state troopers tonight. It did take us by surprise, just as it did many of you. However, please be rest assured that we are dealing with it.
    In fact, Steve had a detailed conversation with one of the troopers along with the Lowell police Dept officer who we had on detail tonight. We will post more information tomorrow.......we just wanted to take a minute to jump in after we saw the other thread that was posted earlier.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Steve and Heather
    Motorcyclenight.com

Hawk Is Respectable Now WordTooYoMamma's Avatar

Re: Clarification regarding troopers 8/11/09

looking forward to the details

Thanks Steve and Heather, I'd really be interested in knowing why the cops were video taping our bikes. I personally have never pulled any stupid stunts while at motorcycle night, and I hate the fact that I feel like I'm being thrown under the microscope because a few people can't control themselves.

~*Your halo line is receding*~ The Crashing Tomato

Rockin' the West Coast... Femmekat's Avatar

Posting Freak

Like Steve and Heather said, they are handling this.... I have said it in another thread, the video taping isn't the biggest issue, its touching our gear while doing it.... Thanks S&H great night last night regardless!

Nick

...don't like my junk touched without my permission...

....unless.....????

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Posting Freak

shes hot? (I've always loved your way of thinking Dave)

^ but then it's implied consent

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    ...don't like my junk touched without my permission...

....unless.....????
    with mr. balloon hands? good video...

anyways i guess i was to busy to see them recording plates as i was doing my thing on stage... photography wise that is haha. Plus my bike was parked across the street as i had no cash on me

2000 RC51

UPDATE

Steve has been on the phone twice today with the state police (and both conversations were initiated by the officers, for the record).

The troopers have made it pretty clear to us that they were not gathering "evidence" against anyone, they were not intentionally trying to intimidate anyone, however they were there to gather information.
    The fact of the matter is that there are knuckleheads out there on the streets and highways that make a bad name for all riders unfortunately. That being said, the state police as a whole are trying to nip some issues in the bud.
    These troopers that were there last night have made it very clear that they are not targeting anyone, but they do need to try to make the streets and highways safer in any way that they can. They stated to us that in the past two weeks there has been a ridiculous influx of idiot drivers on the highway later at night (which appears to be around the time when many are coming to or leaving from Motorcyclenight) and they have been having way too many problems on the roads.
    As the saying goes, it only takes one idiot to screw things up for the whole bunch. Unfortunately there's not a whole lot we can do about it. HOWEVER, we are establishing a relationship with them so that we keep in communication with them on a regular basis just as we do with the Lowell Police Dept. We'd much prefer to be in the loop rather than spend all this time trying to sort out what's going on.

Let us make this clear, this is what was told to us:
    - not one person was issued a ticket for anything last night(loud exhaust, no sticker, illegal blinkers, etc.) and will not see anything coming in the mail if that seems to be a concern as well.
    - As for the touching of personal property, they stated to us that they did not move anyone's belongings from their bikes in order to get video or pictures, if anything, they may have nudged their way in order to see a plate

Steve is in the process of setting up a meeting with the state police so that he can personally view the video that was shot at our event.

Please keep an even leveled head about this whole situation. We don't want to see anyone feel "violated" in any way, but we all have to keep in mind that the police (whether local or state) have a job to do regardless of any of our opinions.

One last thing. On August 25th one of the state troopers from last night is going to be at Motorcyclenight, up on the stage with Steve. A public announcement is going to be made as to the recent safety concerns on the roads and hopefully this will help clarify any heresay that is floating around through all of these threads and potential other internet sites.
    Also, the trooper has said that he will encourage people with concerns to talk with him and ask him any questions they may have.

Hopefully this helps everyone feel a little better about the situation. We'd like to move on from it the best way that we all can.

August 25th is only two weeks away and we'll discuss it again then if needed. (weather permitting of course!)

Thanks for your understanding and patience.

Steve and Heather
    Motorcyclenight.com

I like!

Although I wish theyd do more to take care of the dumbass drivers that almost kill me on a regular basis, but thats neither here nor there.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Good job being on top of this...my concern would be the cops taking pictures and video to be used later to write citations based on modified exhausts and stuff like that. This is the type of thing that would turn me away from bike night, my bike is highly modded, but I ride it responsibly. I would not want to be receiving a ticket in the mail because I took it to the wrong place and had officers photographing it.

You guys definitely live up to your reputation of being on top of things! I am definitely going to have to make it up before the end of the season.

I think that sounds fair. I still have not seen any videos of the troopers moving or touching our things. So many people are saying it happened it is hard to believe that it didnt, however, no one can produce any evidence of it. Is it possible people are over zealous??

Let's hope it will be resolved in 2 weeks. Sucks that there are the idiots that ruin it for everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by motorcyclenight View Post
    they may have nudged their way in order to see a plate
    Looking is one thing. Touching or "nudging" is still an issue. Public or private property they have ZERO right to move anything without probable cause or prior consent. As LEO's they should know better.

Also, the trooper has said that he will encourage people with concerns to talk with him and ask him any questions they may have.
    They sure didn't want to talk last night. All they would say when asked what they were doing is that they "like bikes".

Their actions last night did NOTHING to strengthen relations between the two sides and did EVERYTHING to create more tension. Those two certainly made life harder for the good cops out there. Sad really.

Like anything else there's a right way and a wrong way to do something. They chose the wrong way.

I'm still coming to motorcycle night regardless

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Thank you for the info. I am glad something was done. None of us should ever have to so on our hands. I am always careful on my way to and from bike night. I did know that the Troopers were being lawful all along.

Diablo Black 07 ZX-14

Next time I go Im purposely covering my plate just to be an ass.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post

They sure didn't want to talk last night. All they would say when asked what they were doing is that they "like bikes".

They told me that they were having problems with people racing on the highway and running from them after these events, and that it was to help to identify riders that try to do it in the future. They never said to me that they liked bikes. Its neither here nor there. I had no problem with it as long as they did not move any gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Next time I go Im purposely covering my plate just to be an ass.
    Just put some quick bolts on it, and unscrew it when you get there, carry it around in your pocket.

Hahah I have some on there, I might do that

Zip Tie Alley #505

beige camry attack mojobreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kb1ioq View Post
    Just put some quick bolts on it, and unscrew it when you get there, carry it around in your pocket.
    Public property - watch it get rolled out and pushed onto a flatbed by aforementioned troopers? Your car wouldn't last very long on the street without plates.

Just saying.

no bikes currently

Yami S* IV+ 108ci Warrior mlarivie's Avatar

It's just like up at wachusett.. it's profiling.

Establishing a dialogue between NESR and the police is an excellent idea. But with that comes some responsibility. Unfortunately, once that relationship is established, one NESR fucktard can taint the whole barrel. Without a relationship between NESR and the POPO a fucktard is just a motorcylist and that group is already tainted!

(And the above goes for me...my poop stinks just like everyone elses.)

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by mojobreakfast View Post
    Public property - watch it get rolled out and pushed onto a flatbed by aforementioned troopers? Your car wouldn't last very long on the street without plates.

Just saying.
    Ummmmm I'm not riding an unregistered bike, it's sitting still. Furthermore I paid $3.00 to park the bike there, thus it is implied that you are bringing your bike into an event, and it isn't required the bike be registered. People could trailer their bikes there and just park them to show them off am I correct?

Not trying to stir feathers, just playing the devils advocate here. The state doesn't own us. I personally have no problem with them trying to prevent idiots from getting away on the roads. I just don't want a ticket in the mail with a picture of my bike for a modified exhaust.

Posting Freak

Thank You Heather and Steve, I am more than pleased on my end. No need to drag the details out.

Nick

beige camry attack mojobreakfast's Avatar

1IOQ,

I'm not a cop, lawyer or judge.. but I am pretty sure state or local cops would have some statute or law, state or local, under which at a minimum they would ticket a vehicle on public property that was not displaying a tag - regardless if it was registered or not. Worse, towed/impounded/whatever. There's sure to be something on the books about that - it's Massachusetts.

I think a lot of the point here is show of force/scare. If you're a squid with a record of running from the cops, you're probably not going to show up at motorcycle night now. Which seems to be what they want. I could be wrong, but I doubt there's someone back at the barracks reviewing all these video tapes and making a file on people. If anything, they have it in a cabinet in case someone someday robs a bank on a bike or runs over a nun in a crosswalk. If like most of the folks on this site, you are law abiding, you're fine.

73s.

Last edited by mojobreakfast; 08-12-09 at 08:04 PM.
    no bikes currently

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast