Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Awesome Job, Tony!

Awesome Job, Tony!

Despite the crashes, that was BY FAR the best track day I've ever done (and I've been doing 'em for about 10 years now). Most of the crashes were do to cold tires, no doubt. Which leads me to believe that people weren't listening when the instructors were telling 'em to be wary of cold tires and give 'em PLENTY of time to warm up. They're EXPERT class racers folks! Listen next time!

That aside, I ended up with between 111-117 miles yesterday! More track time than ANY track day I've ever attended...

The 'govern your own group' thing worked out great, in my opinion. Truth be told, I took some advantage of that and experimented in every group. Sorry Tony, couldn't help myself. I was having too much damned fun. Even got to lead a coupla impromptu 'follow the leader' sessions with some newbies. Hopefully ya'll will tie it all together and be faster than me!

Super Dave/Karaya One did an OUTSTANDING job with the grub. As usual, I was 'cheating' the whole time. This spread seemed a bit above & beyond the usual. Fuggin' AWESOME!

Again though, next time there's so many of you there, stop and say hi. I'm bummed I didn't get to meet all ya'll...

Great job again, Tony. Regardless of the crashes, I'd say it was the best one yet. And I couldn't even count how many of YOUR track days I've been to in one capacity or another. Seriously, that was the best track day I've attended...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Awesome Job, Tony!

Thanks for the positive comments, Jay.

HOWEVER!!!!

Hopefully no one else rode in multiple groups without getting permission!?!?

Obviously, we run a pretty tight ship and we don't like to see more than 30 bikes on track at once.

We try for 3 groups of 30 and if people start riding multiple groups, we're going to eventually have 3 groups of 90!

Putting colored stickers on every bike is a pain in the ass for me, but if that's what is necessary to keep people following the rules, then we'll do it again.

Sorry to mangle your good comments, but this is a serious issue.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Banned

Awesome Job, Tony!

Tony, I think Jay is messin' with you. He spoke with me about running a red group session and then a yellow (back to back moving groups basically) at about 2pm and I said better not to do it back-to-back and he agreed. I think he just switched groups in the afternoon because a couple of people asked him to help them with their lines (Jay's lines are bang-on).

My comments on the track day:

Probably one of the best I have attended. The crashes were a bit too frequent and the two I saw were both R1's in turn 3. The first was a "Oh God I'm going in too fast", grab a handfull of front brake and lost the front. The other was at about 30mph and got on the gas to quickly and lowsided.

On the subject of Chris (NAZO), I don't want to rag on the guy too much. He seems like a decent chap and I hope his shoulder feels better. HOWEVER, Chris, if you don't start to think about your riding, street or track, you are going to either die or end up being spoon-fed for the rest of your life. Myself and a couple of the other instructors all agreed that while following an instructor you were doing all the right things and doing very well but after being waved past by the instructor, you IMMEDIATELY lost all control of what lines to take, late apexing EVERY turn (that means swinging right just before a left turn or vice-versa) and got on the throttle way too quickly coming out of turns.
    It is a little worrying that you predicted crashing within 5 laps and you actually crashed half a lap into your first session. On the turn 4 crash, you went through turn 3 VERY VERY fast (like expert racer fast) and got on the gas too much and too soon through turn 4. Turn 4 is an off-camber uphill right-hander after a low-speed corner - a recipe for disaster. The left side of the track is more off-camber than the right side of the track at that point. You had a lot of exit speed from turn 3 and gave it too much gas in turn 4 going up the hill, the back tire spun up and you chopped the throttle - welcome to highside city, population - 1.

Chris: please think about these comments in a constructive way and don't think I'm trying to rub salt into your wounds because I'm not. I want you to have a clear understanding of what happened and use the information to help you become a better track/street rider. I post this publicly because I want people to learn from your mistakes that a trackday is a dangerous environment and has to be approached from a very serious standpoint. I hope you do more trackdays (if allowed, might be an issue) and learn from this experience so you get the maximum benefit from it.

Tony, thanks for letting me instruct on the day. I feel I worked very hard for 80% of the day in every red and yellow group trawling the track for people who needed instruction and I think everyone was happy with the level of instruction I gave them. I also helped a few people with suspension issues and chain-too-tight syndrome which I feel is an imporotant part of a trackday instructor's job. The other 20% of the time (last 2 sessions) I managed to go rip it up a bit on Jamie's RC51 and Graham's Beautiful Duc 750 superbike (WOW, what a race bike!!)

I went home tired and sore but thoroughly enjoyed the day, thanks!!

derek

P.S, Dave, the food was great!

Awesome Job, Tony!

Great post, Degs, and thanks for the help.

I got nothing but positive comments throughout the day regarding the quality of instruction and you were no doubt a part of that.

As for Chris (NAZO), I don't have much to add. I was not on track so don't have any first hand info.

However, I have had several instructors and long time track day riders give me their input... and you pretty much summed it up.

An issue that Chris's crash does bring up, however... is protective gear.

In speaking with people, I was told that Chris ended up with some road rash. If so, this screams... POOR RIDING GEAR.

I have personally crashed 5 times and never once had road rash... and these were speeds much higher than Turn 4.

So.... we will probably be adding some sort of rules regarding gear and having some sort of tech on gear as well.

To those riders that love the track and plan to go to future dates, I would strongly urge investing in a quality set of leathers.

If you buy a good set... give it some attention each winter... and don't out grow it.... it should last many years.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Awesome Job, Tony!

Originally posted by 35racer

So.... we will probably be adding some sort of rules regarding gear and having some sort of tech on gear as well.
    Looking back now, I can't believe I wore the crap I wore in May onto the track. I think some CE approved shoulder armor would have helped chris a lot, as well as a jacket that zipped to his pants (he mentioned that his back got all scraped up because his jacket rode up).

it seems that a lot of first time track riders (myself included ), or people who have never had a serious crash before, think that just a riding jacket and pants are enough for the track

at the couple of other track days i have attended, one-piece or zip together leathers were always mandatory, as well as a back protector and motorcycle-specific boots and other crap.
    on the other hand, i definitely would not have done my first track day had the gear requirements been any stricter than they were because i would have been scared away ($$).

WSMC #940

Awesome Job, Tony!

In response to Tony's gear comments. I think everyone should wear full leathers or textiles when they are on the track. I lifted Chris' jacket and there was no armor at all in it! I was amazed he went out on the track with that on! Chris, I am not ragging on you just pointing out with better gear you would not be in as much pain at this moment. I do hope you feel better and heal up quick.

With that being said! This winter everyone should pick up a set of leathers/or a good textile suit (with armor) if they plan on riding the track at all! Even for those days on the street you should wear as much protection as possible! I am not trying to preach but the cost of a suit is very nominal for the protection you get. I spent $350 at Brockton Cycle for a leather one piece fieldsheer suit with armor. I know it is not the best suit made but it offers more protection then not having one! Check out their website or pm Dave (Karaya one) to see what he has available. Its worth the $$$!

That's it for now

Jamie

Awesome Job, Tony!

If you need leathers or any kind of QUALITY gear, call me!

I will hook you up with some nice stuff, and not just some Joe Rocket stuff.

There is ZERO excuse for not wearing good gear out there. You have quite a few options and if you shop right you won't need to spend major cake on it.

One piece, two piece, jackets, pants, leathers, textiles, boots, gloves, etc....

Putting his hands in the air, like he just doesn't care.
    Check out my eBay store!
    Dave - Motorace - Michelin

Awesome Job, Tony!

That was my second track day, and one of the absolute best motorcycling experiences ever. Tony, you run an excelent track day made even better by knowledgable instructors and SuperDave's EXCELLENT spread.

I lost both peg feelers during the day, and got to hang out with some really cool people.

Special thanks to Degsy for fixing my suspension, both Degsy and Stoneman for the help with my lines, and HalfSquid for not pointing and laughing at me from his perch on turn 2 as I let my left leg relax too see if my puck was anywhere near the tarmac. (that is a yawning kneepuck smiley, right?)

I do, however, really wish that we were permitted to capture lap times so that I could have some hard numbers to judge my performance by. I'm putting my effort into trying to be smoother on the track, following the "smoother is faster" mindset, but it's hard to tell what works and what does not without the numbers.

I learned allot at this track day. Learning to hang off will be my goal for next time!!!

No, Donny, these men are nihilists. There's nothing to be afraid of.

- Mike
    CBR 1000 RR
    CBR 600 F4

Awesome Job, Tony!

Events where timing is allowed automatically nullify insurance claims.

Not to mention that they put an emphasis on a good LAP rather than good technique and good SECTIONS.

If you are going for a good lap and come up on someone slower, you are more likely to fracture/break a passing rule to keep the good lap going.

As opposed to what you should do which is check up and wait for the legal passing zone... while thinking about the last section you did and what you could have done better.

Hope this helps...

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

can i crash your bike? darkchylde51's Avatar

track dizzle

Tony: Thank's for the awesome day! Wish I could have done the last couple of sessions, but I was happy to hear that they went without incident. I haven't done any other track day, so I don't have much to compare it to, but my overall impression was that it was very organized and professional. (and the food was great Dave!) Not to mention all the awesome people that I met / got to know better.... I am very much looking forward to doing more in the future.
    Degsy: your help was greatly appreciated. "Oh, so if I twist that thing on the right, I'll go faster?" lol.
    Overall, awesome day! Thanks to Tony, Renee and all the staff!

Iraqi head seeks arms

lrrs#946

Awesome Job, Tony!

Originally posted by Degsy
    Tony, I think Jay is messin' with you. He spoke with me about running a red group session and then a yellow (back to back moving groups basically) at about 2pm and I said better not to do it back-to-back and he agreed. I think he just switched groups in the afternoon because a couple of people asked him to help them with their lines (Jay's lines are bang-on).
    That's more like what I meant. Sorry if I stepped on any toes. I don't want it to sound like I was running every group every session, far from it. Again, sorry if I overstepped. It won't happen again...

It was still fuggin' GREAT!

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

100 X slower than Gerard scootertrash's Avatar

Awesome Job, Tony!

You run a great Track Day Tony. I am sure it takes a whole lot of effort to pull off something like this, a lot of planning that we don't see. We all appreciate the fact that you step up, put it all together, and give us the opportunity to do something like this.

Awesome Job, Tony!

I had a very enjoyable trackday experience. Much more than the one I did earlier in the season with PRRS.

Sorry for crashing in T2

Christopher Aho