Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

2018 Trackday: tracks and providers

Banned

Re: 2018 Trackday: tracks and providers

Quote Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
    Guess you haven't looked at this year's TTD schedule:

Thompson: 7 days including Razee
    Palmer: 8 days
    NYST: 4 days

19 days total, 7 at Thompson is closer to a third than a half.
    Consider that nit thoroughly picked.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Thompson is just meh. Sure, it's track time, but I wasn't thrilled with it when I did it. It's too bad TTD relies on it so heavily in their rotation, IMO. 50%. I mean, it's another track and all, but is on the same level as NHMS, with NHMS having more of nostalgia for me.
    Having started at NHMS, I never had any intention of dropping it from the schedule. Unfortunately, my customers spoke with their wallets and while the Thompson dates were filling up... the NHMS dates ended up losers. My guess is others feel as you do (that they are on par with each other)... but maybe Thompson is closer to more homes?

One thing I think it does have over NHMS is the multi direction option.

Hopefully the future holds Club Motorsports allowing bikes (even if it's only quiet ones) - and maybe NHMS will resurface and extend the course (possibly making it bi-directional too)

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Hopefully Tamworth will open up (just as Palmer did) eventually.

It's not a bad thing to have Thompson in the mix, just that it doesn't rustle my jimmies. In the end, it's a trackday, and a trackday is better than no trackday, but it's just not high up on the list.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I'm not super pumped about Thompson either...but it's less than an hour from home which definitely makes a difference at this stage in life. To be honest I've only rode it once, I should probably stop being a curmudgeon and just go have some fun.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I have a love/hate thing with Thompson. The run onto the front straight (CW) is a lot of fun and I like the longer turns 5 and 6. I don't love the stop and go nature of the rest of it.

Reversing course really changes the nature of the challenge quite a bit. It is still stop and go CCW, but now it is bumpy and more technical.

So as much as I want to say I don't like it, I actually enjoy riding there for the above reasons. Even after throwing it down the road at 140.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    To be honest I've only rode it once, I should probably stop being a curmudgeon and just go have some fun.
    FWIW, it definitely took me a few days to start enjoying it. Done correctly, the track actually flows nicely (other than the real sharp U-Turn corner - #4 in the clockwise direction).

I hear a lot of people calling it a point and shoot track, but to be honest I don't brake very hard except for a couple of corners going each direction. I think that's the key to having fun there.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Who am I kidding, I enjoy riding ANYWHERE. LOL.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    I'm not super pumped about Thompson either...but it's less than an hour from home which definitely makes a difference at this stage in life.
    +1

This is part of why I'm so partial to NHMS. Barely 30 minutes away! Thompson is a ~2 hour ride +/- some potentially shitty traffic. I fully realize that I'm no the other side of this coin than everyone in the Boston or NYC metro areas.. Fortunately people are still running track days @ NHMS. So.

Although I'm not going to lie; T's 3, 6 and 9 (yeah, okay.. and T1) at NHMS still rustle my jimmies a lot.

NHMS is also a really easy track to do a TD at thanks to the gobs of no bullshit parking, garage space, power, and pretty good facilities to use.

Same here, NHMS is 1.5 hours for me, Canaan is 2+ on annoying back roads, Thompson is 3 hours for me...

Maine needs a road course! Three weeks a year when the weather allows it could be awesome!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Maine needs a road course!
    Maine gets the track that fits it best; BOXSHOP!

2018 Trackday: tracks and providers-249mry-jpg

Haha. True about boxshop. So Maine.

Maybe it's just me but i like the roadtrip aspect of track riding.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Paul_E_D; 02-09-18 at 12:32 PM.
    Paul_E_D

For real fun enjoy a night at NYST when the thunderstorm comes in and just rocks the place. We had back to back nights of those in June. The second one we were the only idiots still camping after everyone left the track. At least we were in a trailer as those storms have some anger.

Quote Originally Posted by TTD View Post
    FWIW, it definitely took me a few days to start enjoying it. Done correctly, the track actually flows nicely (other than the real sharp U-Turn corner - #4 in the clockwise direction).

I hear a lot of people calling it a point and shoot track, but to be honest I don't brake very hard except for a couple of corners going each direction. I think that's the key to having fun there.
    At the risk of sounding like I'm sucking up to the boss --- thank you for saying this. I totally agree. Personally, I'd characterize Loudon as more point-and-shoot than TSMP.
    Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    For real fun enjoy a night at NYST when the thunderstorm comes in and just rocks the place. We had back to back nights of those in June. The second one we were the only idiots still camping after everyone left the track. At least we were in a trailer as those storms have some anger.
    As long as you're not one of the idiots whose EZ up isn't tied down enough for a hurricane.

Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234