Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

An addiction begins...

Re: An addiction begins...

Ah, bummer! How did the bike come out? Your analysis sounds spot on. I would only add that I have heard this desire to go to blue to avoid erratic riders in yellow a few times this weekend. It is not correct thinking. A quick, but inexperienced rider is more dangerous in Blue than in yellow. Stick with the appropriate level. You need to learn to pass safely, and you're not going to do that riding above level. It takes years to learn to be a good track rider. Give it the time it deserves. Pay your dues in the appropriate group. There's a lot to be learned by riding with those "throttle jockeys".

And sorry we never met up! I didn't get my title for the sprinter, so I wasn't able to bring it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

that bacon was awesome

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Jay- points well taken. For reference, turn 6 at NYST is very similar to 6 at NHMS but we were running it in the opposite direction. I would have been better for a setup perspective to ease into the corner and drive out hard on the inside.

Dove- a pretty good echo for the feedback I got from one of the instructors, Ken. While my ability to handle my own machine has progressed quite quickly, my track experience is still very low.

Paul- I kept an eye out for the blue Sprinter since I haven't put a face to the name yet. If you're at the classic we can have a look over and see what we can do for some tasteful Mad Max type styling. I definitely see your point about staying in Yellow for a while. Thus far my experience has been the one doing the passing rather than the one getting passed and I'm definitely trying to hear the advice about the latter being a much more unsettling experience. I'm sure you can appreciate it being a bit of a frustrating experience riding at a pace well above the group and having riders weaving in and out of the line in front of you.

Bike isn't in bad shape but there was a bit too much to fix to ride the rest of the day. Some busted bodywork and a spongy front brake is basically the extent of the damage. I'll have it fixed up over the next few weeks and get a set of springs more appropriate for my 240 pounds in lieu of the ones for a fella 80 pounds my junior.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Yes, I understand the frustration, but that is where the learning happens. Technique will allow you to turn frustration into success. I can lap in yellow as if the other riders are not really even on the same track. The problem with bumping early is that then you are the one weaving around off line in the fast group where the stakes are much higher. Nobody can go straight to blue without being a hazard. It just doesn't work that way. You may "think" you are on the line etc, but as the pace goes up significantly, the degree of accuracy required goes up even more. Options for altering lines become greatly reduced.

Paul_E_D

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

+1 to you analysis and to Pauls coments. Part of learning is experience and part of experience is patience. IT WILL COME, in time! With this sport patience is a virtue that we can not afford to loose focus on.
    As you have learned in a round about way maybe you could of held back earlier and waited for another maybe easier attempt that may have been more favorable.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
    I'm sure you can appreciate it being a bit of a frustrating experience riding at a pace well above the group and having riders weaving in and out of the line in front of you.
    We all can.

My preachy message to you is simple. Do whateverthefuck you want.. just not near me. When you hit the deck because you overcooked a sketchy pass just to get to that open track or prove how fast you are.. well, that shuts down the track for the whole group. And that makes me sad and miss my $200 that much more dearly.

Says the hypocrite that has drawn out the red flags twice.

Also remember that @ NHMS, Tony's passing rules are much less liberal than Penguins. If you try to do something perfectly normal from a Penguin day near a TTD regular like me at that track, bad things could happen simply because some of us not expecting it.

In my opinion you need a lower HP bike or to go racing. Distanzia's on the DRZ maybe? I've learned a lot about riding mine after just 5 sessions. Absurd closing speeds are a bigger issue, but spinning up the rear isn't.

Last edited by nhbubba; 05-27-14 at 12:43 PM.

Could that possibly come off more cünty? I'm not out there to prove anything to to anyone. I am there because I like the challenge, want to improve my skills as a rider, and want to get into racing. I'd argue that the only way to do that is to test your perceived limits and push yourself- that and take the instruction and advice you're given from folks that have been doing it for a while.

For the record; low side, rider ok causes local yellow not a red flag. Ive also followed all the passing rules in the days I've participated in and will continue to do so. I'd also add that you're still one who's in the position to be receiving advice, not handing it out. Maybe go read another Keith Code book and try again.

Glad you had fun even with the crash.

As Paul said, we really want people to stay in red and yellow for a while. Regardless how fast you are, you must learn track awareness.

A truly competent track rider can do as Paul said... Ride in a slower group and regardless of the passing rules, they can pass quickly and safely.

It takes tons of laps and experience to gain track awareness.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

just try to take all the feedback you get man. you decide what to do with it. Bubs wasnt trying to be a dick, he was just giving you his point of view.
    He might not be a racer but he is very receptive (is that evena word) to feedback and has progressed a lot since his first TD.

Written communication blows at times because you cannot tell the tone the other person is using. but Bubs point isnt very wrong.
    I was doing TDs on a GSXR 600 and I crashed a lot. No need to get into details but I wanted to get into racing just like you. I got a Honda Hawk which I strongly believe is the best entry level race bike anyone can get. It taught me to carry corner speed, it was very forgiving and it made me a much better rider than a 600 would have.
    Now it might not be the case for everyone but I believe it is for the most.

again not saying you are a bad rider or anything like that. I am just pointing out that a small/slow bike can teach you a lot! that's especially if you are considering racing. if not keep riding what you want and enjoy it.
    at the end of the day the most important thing is to have fun.

as others before me said you are a smart dude, you will figure it out.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Oohhh More Hawk Love

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

It may sound odd, but I always had a lot of fun while stuck behind people in the slow group with straights-only passing rules. It forced me to experiment with different lines to get the better drive out and built my confidence passing on the brakes. I wish this sounded less douchey, but a nice pass where I had to set the guy up for a few corners and try different things to get by would feel like a work of creative art. I'm hoping I start to feel this way about outside passes once I've had some more time in yellow. Just food for thought next time you're out there.

Lifer

Could that possibly come off more cünty?
    Probably. I'll work on it.

Our perspectives are massively different. You're the same guy who nearly ran me over on one of Dave's street rides. I have even less to prove and probably half the HP to prove it with. I have no plans to change either. You're more than welcome to not street ride with me. But if you are gonna do more TTDs, you might be fucked there.

My point here is that I'm not the only one out there with this attitude. Some are even slower, more spookable. Maybe they're on a clapped out 30HP dual-sport that chip talked them into buying. Maybe they are working on their body position or something. Maybe they are nursing some cold tires because they once embarrassed themselves doing a face plant in T6. Be careful who you get close to. In my opinion, I would not get close to another track day rider or go for an aggressive pass unless I knew and trusted the rider. The rest you want to give a wide berth and be ready for anything. Shit happens. Watch what Tony's staff do. Watch who they pass, when, and how. I believe they are better [at this] than either you or I.

TTD only rolls two flags at NHMS; checkers and red. I understand other tracks are different. But when some one hits the deck at a TTD @ NH it almost always ends the session. Which is a bummer all around.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by nhbubba; 05-27-14 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Clarity

Lifer

I'd ride a hawk.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    You're the same guy who nearly ran me over on one of Dave's street rides. I have even less to prove and probably half the HP to prove it with. I have no plans to change either. You're more than welcome to not street ride with me. But if you are gonna do more TTDs, you might be fucked there.
    If you think I nearly ran you over you are grossly unaware of your surroundings. That in itself is significantly scarier than low siding an outside pass. We can get into the play by play if you'd like, but I'd rather stay on topic and not get into a pissing contest despite my full bladder. I will gratefully accept your invitation to not even ride in your zip code anymore.

My point here is that I'm not the only one out there with this attitude. Some are even slower, more spookable. Maybe they're on a clapped out 30HP dual-sport that chip talked them into buying. Maybe they are working on their body position or something. Maybe they are nursing some cold tires because they once embarrassed themselves doing a face plant in T6. Be careful who you get close to. In my opinion, I would not get close to another track day rider or go for an aggressive pass unless I knew and trusted the rider. The rest you want to give a wide berth and be ready for anything. Shit happens. Watch what Tony's staff do. Watch who they pass, when, and how. I believe they are better than either you or I.
    Points well taken. Seriously. I don't believe I rode near or passed anyone in a discourteous manner, rules were (as previously stated) always followed. I'm well aware that I have a responsibility to the group to both in terms of safety and in terms of keeping the session going. I also have a responsibility to myself to improve every time I go out for a session. While it sucks to lay your bike down I definitely came out of it with a better understanding of what went wrong, why, and how to not let it happen again.

Last edited by loudbeard; 05-27-14 at 02:08 PM.

Sorry about your crash. But, good to know you are not hurt.

I wish I had known who you were so I could've said hello.

LRRS#167

My preachy message to you is simple. Do whateverthefuck you want.. just not near me.
    Could that possibly come off more cünty? I'm not out there to prove anything to to anyone.
    I know and like both you guys (admittedly from the skewed perspective of trackdays), the online tone of this conversation seems to be veering away from constructive and towards antagonistic. Both of you want to ride better, let's find some common ground to learn from.
    SV is the answer. Or 'busa.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Nice to meet you this weekend Doug. Thanks again for offering up your R6 to finish the day on. Mighty nice gesture to a guy who just wadded up his ride making sketchy passes. An addiction begins...

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    It may sound odd, but I always had a lot of fun while stuck behind people in the slow group with straights-only passing rules. It forced me to experiment with different lines to get the better drive out and built my confidence passing on the brakes. I wish this sounded less douchey, but a nice pass where I had to set the guy up for a few corners and try different things to get by would feel like a work of creative art. I'm hoping I start to feel this way about outside passes once I've had some more time in yellow. Just food for thought next time you're out there.
    I cant agree with this post more. I feel the same.

An addiction begins...

Getting into the nuts and bolts now...and my wallet. Going to pull the fairings and start glass repair tomorrow. Going to fix everything that was previously messed up while I'm at it, probably spray bomb it too. Ordered a stabilizer from Sprint, Myles at Street & Comp hooked me up. Wheelie Hill was definitely sketchy without it. Also got a Brembo RCS to step up my braking game. Jim talked me into it. New windscreen for $15, two new visors for my RX-Q at $23 each. Need to get in touch with PK for fork and shock springs to support my ego.

An addiction indeed. The needle goes deep.

Last edited by loudbeard; 06-05-14 at 02:56 PM.

Lifer

My steering stabilizer came unhooked my last time up at NH with Tony's. I was convinced my tires were shot or something. The bike road like poop. Once I noticed (okay, once someone pointed it out) and re-connected it.. all was well with my world again. Biggest difference for me was the transitions in 3 and 10.

Huge difference. Well worth the dough for a track toy. You will like yours.

Careful with the overspray. My driveway still has patches of kubota orange..

I only got my because of the transition from 7 to 8 at nhms and because of the S's before 13 at njmp

CCS #31

Quote Originally Posted by MaRce1o View Post
    I only got my because of the transition from 7 to 8 at nhms and because of the S's before 13 at njmp
    only reason I replaced the stock electronic one on mine was because of 7-8. I still set mine fairly loose and sometimes get a little shake there which reminds me to use my legs more and not be so tight on the bars.

An addiction begins...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1405642043-092739-jpg

Got the Brembo RCS mounted

An addiction begins...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1405642066-620066-jpg

Did some
    Shotty glass repair where my fairing stay busted through and fitted a new double bubble.

Oil changed, ready for Penguin next Friday. Jim hooked me up with some fancy Motul.

did you use any fiberglass in that repair or all resin?

Yep. Definitely too much resin, first attempt at it. 8 layers of glass total. Did a patch on either side, then wrapped a sheet around both sides, repeated.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast