Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

An addiction begins...

Re: An addiction begins...

Looks a lot better than the job i did on my tail after that weekend

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
    Yep. Definitely too much resin, first attempt at it. 8 layers of glass total. Did a patch on either side, then wrapped a sheet around both sides, repeated.
    8 layers. wtf. I made a whole undertail with only 3 layers and its plenty strong. I woulda come by and helped. not that I know a lot but I've done it a couple times. it'll work though and it didn't take away from the looks of the bike anyway.

Duncan are you doing any races next Sunday?

Attachment 39496

Got the Brembo RCS mounted

Attachment 39497

Did some
    Shotty glass repair where my fairing stay busted through and fitted a new double bubble.

Oil changed, ready for Penguin next Friday. Jim hooked me up with some fancy Motul.

You get that from riders discount if not what did you Pay?................

An addiction begins...

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    8 layers. wtf. I made a whole undertail with only 3 layers and its plenty strong. I woulda come by and helped. not that I know a lot but I've done it a couple times. it'll work though and it didn't take away from the looks of the bike anyway.
    Probably overkill, however the bit that was broken was where the upper fairing stay bolted through the glass. Wanted to make sure it would be sturdy. Ain't gotta be pretty for now, this winter I'm going to pull all the bodywork and do a proper repair job, strip, and paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    Duncan are you doing any races next Sunday?
    Just the Penguin school on Friday. I planned on doing my race license that weekend but I have some family commitments I have to see through on Saturday and Sunday. At this point I'll probably wait until next year for racing, I'm a bit short on time for the foreseeable future. I am, however, going to be at NYST a few more weekends before the season is out. Can't beat Saturday/Sunday track days for $180.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    You get that from riders discount if not what did you Pay?................
    Got it from Solomoto, $360 for the RCS and I think another $60 for the reservoir kit. Bike didn't come factory with a radial master so this was pretty much a no brainer.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

299 at riders discount..............sorry

and I love my 19RCS its just pure awesomeness..........but is a great choice

Jim owes me $61 then. He says "get it here, these guys are the best!" He also gets all when I don't take his suggestions

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

An addiction begins...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1405791456-327983-jpg

How my came out after sanding Duncan

CCS #31

An addiction begins...

Had a great day yesterday other than being tired towards the end. Mostly a product of 8 days straight on 5 hours of sleep, no bueno.

Did have a little get off early in the day. First open session, tires still cold. Went into 3 and I was inside the line and tried to slam it in hard and I washed it out. Got back up and noticed I had something dangling inside the fairing so I pitted in and didn't make it back out that session. I was pretty amped up to get out of the parade laps and was a bit of a bone head. It was a pretty good reminder to relax and smooth it out the rest of the time.

Got some great pictures coming from Owens in a couple of weeks I'll post for critique. I was in the process of snapping a few from the computer screen and my phone died so these 2 are all I have for the time being.

An addiction begins...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1406385437-643862-jpg

Here we are exiting 4, fairly pleased with body position here although I still feel slow in the 3/4 section. Mostly not aggressive enough entering 3 so I've got a bit of a weak drive out. I think I just need to grow a pair here.

An addiction begins...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1406385571-255162-jpg

Coming into 9 here. Not real happy with this one. I'm a bit twisted, I'm going to chalk it up to being tired here, this was one of the last sessions and I was definitely feeling it. By and large I'm feeling very good about the 5 - 8 section, it's got great flow. 9 and 10 are still a problem area for me. I think it would help if I could follow someone through at a higher pace and actually see that it can be done because it's definitely a sketchy section for me - particularly being under sprung and hitting that big positive G bit in 10.

Got great feedback from the instructors. Next round at Loudon I'll go through basic and participate in the rookie races throughout the weekend.

Last edited by loudbeard; 08-04-14 at 07:58 AM.

An addiction begins...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1406570075-677345-jpg

Got the bike stripped down to take off to GMD, need to get this thing sprung properly as I spent a good bit of time bottoming the suspension out on Friday. He said if I went ahead and have him easy access to the suspension by removing bodywork and clipping off associated safety wire it wouldn't cost more than just shipping him the forks and shock. Jim gave me a contingency for frame measurement so I'm going to make sure that's all good since it did 5-6 cartwheels when I wadded it up at NYST. Don't expect any surprises there as it was tracking great at Loudon last Friday but I might as well while he has it.

Went ahead and got all of the bodywork off as I'll likely strip, repair, and paint it while it's gone. Seems he might have the bike for a couple of weeks with his busy schedule.

....See y'all at NYST, I'll be the one with the ridiculously elaborate camp site. Might even bring the smoker for this trip....
    You mean the XR100?

The very same!

I've been inspired today. Race trailer build thread to follow later this week.

I went to Vanson's shop today and I have to say I was very impressed. They're all a bunch of south shore townies and a pretty cool bunch at that. They brought the seamstress out and she took all my measurements with the suit on for the alterations. They're charging me $250 for repairs, new pucks, and a full alteration job, very reasonable considering basically the entire suit from the chest down needs to be changed at every seam. I'll definitely be giving them some additional consideration when I get a custom suit. Their Mark 3's start at $1650 which is a few hundred more than Pilot, but I've crash tested a Vanson twice now and they're tough as nails.

Oh yeah, walked out of there with a pair of their racing gloves and a free hat. My Spidi's were completely trashed after 2 crashes.

An addiction begins...-trackhead-jpg

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

give me those Spidi's to bring to Roberto & keep them in your gear bag as a rain/spare set.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

That's why I love you Jimmy An addiction begins...

I went to Vanson's shop today and I have to say I was very impressed. They're all a bunch of south shore townies and a pretty cool bunch at that. They brought the seamstress out and she took all my measurements with the suit on for the alterations. They're charging me $250 for repairs, new pucks, and a full alteration job, very reasonable considering basically the entire suit from the chest down needs to be changed at every seam. I'll definitely be giving them some additional consideration when I get a custom suit. Their Mark 3's start at $1650 which is a few hundred more than Pilot, but I've crash tested a Vanson twice now and they're tough as nails.

Oh yeah, walked out of there with a pair of their racing gloves and a free hat. My Spidi's were completely trashed after 2 crashes.
    or $50 more than the Pilot cause their full customs are $1600. the price you see is standard size but custom colors/patches/names. in the pull down menu for size it shows custom is another $300. still a good price.

you want some woodcraft rearsets for that thing? i just took mine off and am going to post them up for sale shortly.

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Ductard View Post
    An addiction begins...-trackhead-jpg
    I laughed out loud

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    or $50 more than the Pilot cause their full customs are $1600. the price you see is standard size but custom colors/patches/names. in the pull down menu for size it shows custom is another $300. still a good price.
    Good point Brett. I really like the Pilot suits but after crashing a Vanson a couple of times and being able to spend money with a local business certainly makes them an attracting option also. Months before I need to worry with this anyway, hell, I might be happy to ride my altered suit for another year or more.

Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    you want some woodcraft rearsets for that thing? i just took mine off and am going to post them up for sale shortly.
    Sure, PM me, could definitely use to build up some spares.

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    I laughed out loud
    I lol'd myself. Hard to be some Tyrone Biggums.

Got the photo CD in from Owens Photography

After studying I definitely have some work to do on body position. Looks like my main issue is I'm rotating in the saddle a bit when I'm tipped in. Next time out I'll work on staying parallel to the bars and keeping my movements strictly lateral. I'd also like to work on getting down on the tank more through the corners. I'll post a few of my favorites, John really does an excellent job with these pictures.

Link to the whole album. It's pretty cool seeing the whole sequence of 3-6 photos through the turn.

Last edited by loudbeard; 08-02-14 at 07:47 AM.

Just a heads up, but there is no real benefit to keeping you movements "strictly lateral". In fact, there may be a deficit. You want to get your weight over the front tire as much as possible from tip in to apex in most cases. rotating around the tank a little does just that. In those whacky pictures of Mick Doohan, that was the big difference between him and everyone else. He was much further forward into the turns.

Now, I'm not suggesting you go as far as Mick, but your BP in the pictures looks fine. As you gain more laps, experience, and crashes, you will relax your whole body as you reach max lean and it will open up your hip a little, and square you up on the bike slightly. I see nothing to "work on" in your pics except relaxing at max lean.

Paul_E_D

An addiction begins...

Thanks for the feedback, the rotation makes sense the way you've explained it. I thought I was off per Scott Greenwoods instruction lady weekend. This was a general sort of instruction for the classroom, not personal critique, he was suggesting keeping hips and shoulders parallel with the bars/perpendicular with the centerline of the motorcycle.

Personally I wasn't aware I was rotating until after studying the camera roll, just riding and weighting the bike in a way that gave me positive feedback and what I perceived to be going faster. I can certainly get on board with the relaxing aspect. I've found it to be a difficult balance between being aggressive and staying relaxed. I hope that will come with more experience, there's plenty of that up and coming.

Last edited by loudbeard; 08-02-14 at 09:54 AM.

I think one key is to drop your head and shoulders after you reach max lean. This forces you to relax on the bars a bit and can help square your hips a little. But again, a little rotation around the tank is natural, and necessary.

Think about how far back you would have to move to keep your hips square while moving over. Your thighs are wrapped well forward of the tank. You'd have to scoot back til your knees are at the back of the tank. This would put tons of weight on the rear tire, and unload the front when you need the most traction. I actually see people doing this, and can't believe they don't crash in every turn!

Paul_E_D

I sort of disagree with Paul. keeping parallel to the center line of the bike helps put more weight to the inside of the bike keeping it more vertical so you can go through the corner faster. but if you're comfortable like this than I think that trumps moving a little more squarely. if its something you want to work on then go for it. there's no 100% right way to do it. Mick made his shit work, Marquez makes his shit work. try things out and find your shit.

and maybe get heavier springs

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast