Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Beginner and Intermediate group Peeps.. What do you want to learn at a trackday?

Beginner and Intermediate group Peeps.. What do you want to learn at a trackday?

Just thought I would open some discussion that would help me (and possibly others) become a better Instructor.

I am an MSF instructor and I ride/Instruct with the Intermediate group. I try to work with people on refining the line and picking up markers (brake, turn in, throttle). "Also gas sooner, brake later" is always good. I do not work in a faster group because I feel having a little in reserve when instructing is a good thing.

One of the biggest things I see is people braking WAY to early in 1, 3, 6, 9, 11 and not carrying the corner speed they could.

They are all GREAT at blasting down the straights though!

What would YOU like help with at your next trackday? What parts of the track do you find the toughest (NHMS) and why do you find them tough?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Doc; 06-17-10 at 03:10 PM.
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Re: Beginner and Intermediate group Peeps.. What do you want to learn at a trackday?

for me the toughest sections are giong into turn 3 i brake at like the 2-3rd cone but feel like im slowing down too much but i feel as if i cant brake any later than that without getting in trouble. than the bottom of the bowl going in and coming out just seems like im coasting more than accelataring again feeling like if i go in faster it might be too hot any advice would be great!!!!!

and yeah the straight i have no problems with it lol l/k

Re: Beginner and Intermediate group Peeps.. What do you want to learn at a trackday?

6! 6 is my worst corner, it is bad for a lot of people, I dont think most riders are anywhere near the speed they can actually carry through 6...

LRRS #951
    My girlfriend wants to be like me when she grows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Sometimes violence IS the answer. The answer every other time is busa.

Having done 5 trackdays at NHIS, I am now running 1.25's, I just bumped to the advanced group with Tonys and was comfortable with the pace.
    Personally, I feel I know my way around the track well (lines etc) but agree that corner speed is one area I want to improve on. I am riding a well sorted GSXR600 and have a personal goal to be running 1.23's by the end of this season.
    I know I can improve in 3 but seem to have a mental problem as I was following a guy who highsided there in one of my first days! I also feel I could go faster through 9 as I am holding a tight line on the exit.
    I will be there on the 6th and would appreciate any help to achieve this goal!!

Quote Originally Posted by eduardorr52 View Post
    for me the toughest sections are giong into turn 3 i brake at like the 2-3rd cone but feel like im slowing down too much but i feel as if i cant brake any later than that without getting in trouble. than the bottom of the bowl going in and coming out just seems like im coasting more than accelataring again feeling like if i go in faster it might be too hot any advice would be great!!!!!

and yeah the straight i have no problems with it lol l/k
    Ok, For 3. You brake at the 2-3rd cone but when do you get out of the throttle? What bike are you riding? Are you squeezing the tank with your legs? Where do you turn in?

For 6. Where do you get out of the throttle? Where do you start braking? Where are you on the track? (left, right, center) Do you brake to the apex or do you stop braking before tip in?

It really helps to SEE what you are doing to give any good advice.

As I have said. If you have reference points it helps you to repeat the same lap easier. once that is comfortable it is time to change the markers in a spot and work on that, repeating as you become comfortable.

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Fingered Man View Post
    6! 6 is my worst corner, it is bad for a lot of people, I dont think most riders are anywhere near the speed they can actually carry through 6...
    Good to know. I need work in 6 myself My turn in reference is vague, As is my brake marker.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I start to turn in at the second cone, brake shortly after, i stay about 3 or 4 ft off the curb at apex and WOT from the apex cone to 9... But i don't think you could help me without being there and watching.

LRRS #951

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    Having done 5 trackdays at NHIS, I am now running 1.25's, I just bumped to the advanced group with Tonys and was comfortable with the pace.
    Personally, I feel I know my way around the track well (lines etc) but agree that corner speed is one area I want to improve on. I am riding a well sorted GSXR600 and have a personal goal to be running 1.23's by the end of this season.
    I know I can improve in 3 but seem to have a mental problem as I was following a guy who highsided there in one of my first days! I also feel I could go faster through 9 as I am holding a tight line on the exit.
    Damn. 5 days and 1:25's? I've now done 7 days and I'm in the 1:29's. Great job.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

If you will be at LAPS on the 6th you might find our advanced group is a little quicker than 1:25's

I can help you in the intermediate group. I am ok and 3 and 9 is one of my favorite corners.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

this thread is not just for me but for any/all instructors of trackdays to chime in. (cause we all know there are WAY more qualified people than me out there )

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Good to know. I need work in 6 myself My turn in reference is vague, As is my brake marker.
    Dan worked on 6 with Eric wood and his new brake marker is "shortly after i shit my self"

LRRS #951

LOL, I am riding a GSXR600, aren't you on an SV650? I would say if you had a little extra horsepower you would be up there! I did say 5 days at Loudon, been riding much longer than that though!!
    I sent you a PM.

I start to turn in at the second cone, brake shortly after, i stay about 3 or 4 ft off the curb at apex and WOT from the apex cone to 9... But i don't think you could help me without being there and watching.
    You are running a second slower than me on a Hawk with less HP... I don't know if I can help you at all (other than to tell you STOP CRASHING)

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by 07BladeRider View Post
    I have 0 days and am in the 22's. Race days are awesome (but i crash constantly, so maybe trackdays are the way to go..).

LRRS #951

Dan worked on 6 with Eric wood and his new brake marker is "shortly after i shit my self"
    Ya. Eric had me do that too, which pushed my marker WAY back ( I used to get out of the gas as I crested the hill, now I am on it until at least the bottom.)

The Doug had me braking HARD to the Apex... and changing my shorts once a session.

Last edited by Doc; 06-17-10 at 03:25 PM.
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

In for all the help I can scrounge out of you fuckers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 07BladeRider View Post
    You. I can help.

I will be pitting in 2. Pit in 3 or 4 if you want to work with me on the 6th. All you fast guys in the teens stay the f away from me. (I'll come get a tow from you in advanced a couple times)

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    If you will be at LAPS on the 6th you might find our advanced group is a little quicker than 1:25's

I can help you in the intermediate group. I am ok and 3 and 9 is one of my favorite corners.
    I am signed up in the intermediate group ...... don't I owe you a beer already??!

I am signed up in the intermediate group ...... don't I owe you a beer already??!
    Nah... I drank AJ's beers and saw his girlfriends titties! We are square.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I need work EVERYWHERE!!!

Hey Doc as YOU know, I need work. More on not fixating on places I want to crash.

The corners i feel i need the most work are (right now) 1-2, 3 and 11-12a. In all those corners, i need help with every detail of the corner.

I have an o.k entrance into 1 but I chop the throttle on and off thru 1. and again chopping the throttle exiting 1a. and fixating on the wall coming out of 2. Most people saw the result of that couple weekends ago. My mark still there. :/

has anyone have had fixation problems?? What helped you train yourself to look where you want to go??

3 i think I come into heavy and don't carry enough corner speed. But a think you would have to watch to see what i am really doing wrong. cause I am just guessing here.
    11-12a I just fuck up everytime, complete wrong line. any advice?

I'll be at LAPS on the 6th. So PLease gave me as much advice as possible

LRRS AM #666
    Chick Racers Rock

Quote Originally Posted by onefootedkid View Post
    I'll be at LAPS on the 6th. So PLease gave me as much love as possible
    check

So Expat owes me a beer now?

LRRS #951

I think my biggest area of concern is 11/12. I just can't seem to flick my bike over fast enough to carry the right amount of speed through there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    check
    weird i thought i said as much as advice as possible, but love works too. . .

LRRS AM #666
    Chick Racers Rock

Quote Originally Posted by noxin View Post
    I think my biggest area of concern is 11/12. I just can't seem to flick my bike over fast enough to carry the right amount of speed through there.
    If you have the right amount of speed through there you have no choice but to flick the bike fast enough. Your just thinking about it backwards.

LRRS #951

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast