Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Beginner and Intermediate group Peeps.. What do you want to learn at a trackday?

Re: Beginner and Intermediate group Peeps.. What do you want to learn at a trackday?

Yes, It's normal for beginners on streetbikes who don't want to crash in every session

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Re: Beginner and Intermediate group Peeps.. What do you want to learn at a trackday?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Yes, It's normal for beginners on streetbikes who don't want to crash in every session
    So i should stay the fuck outa there!

LRRS #951
    My girlfriend wants to be like me when she grows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Sometimes violence IS the answer. The answer every other time is busa.

You'd want to ride with the advanced group.

Paul_E_D

Doc, are you asking us to train you? Because we have spent 10 years developing a curriculum and teaching method at TTD. We have staff meetings, a course guide, etc. etc. It's a lot of work and not just a bunch of good guys giving random tips. We know what works from experience, msf training, ARC training, racing success, and we have written it down, edited it, and Ken has even published a TON of material. It's what makes us different from most other trackday orgs. It's what we sell. You can't just have it!

One word of advice though... people (outside of the military anyway) don't like to be told they suck, beginners or not.
    No. My intent was to glean information on what I should be lookng for from the "students". I just did not want it to become a one man show in here.

Yes I am new (my 2nd year) to the trackday instructing thing but I have experience instructing people (Army), I am an MSF instructor and I do not go beyond the basics with my trackday instructing. I am happy to refer people to the MANY others that know more than me. I will also be the first to guide people to trackdays I feel will help them. The problem is that some people want a cheap trackday, so they get me to instruct them. I'll happily tell them to get to a Tony's day (I think most of them have been), it is where I got my start and I still regard TTD highly.

I see your point with people not liking being told they suck. I'll rephrase. It was dangerous. Is that better?

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Just teach everyone what you learned at polen, I'll be first in line.
    What I learned at the Polen School.

1. I am out of shape.

2. I am a pussy.

3. I suck at this riding a motorcycle fast thing.

4. SUSPENSION is VERY important. He adjusted my suspension which made the bike easier to ride.

He did EVERY (beginner/intermediate/advanced) session that 90+ degree day, He was towing me along, watching me in his mirrors and giving my input as to when I should brake, and get on the gas etc, without braking a sweat.

Oh yeah... He also showed me I was braking WAY to early/not enough, not getting on the throttle soon enough and not using any sort of lean angle.

He helped me drop my PB and get consistent in one day and he gave me a ton of stuff to work on.

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

You'd want to ride with the advanced group.
    I would guess those guys don't crash every session either...

I want to do a track day to get some no pressure track time in hopes of fixing my crash every race weekend issue.

LRRS #951

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Fingered Man View Post
    I want to do a track day to get some no pressure track time in hopes of fixing my crash every race weekend issue.

Then ride in intermediate and slow down to a 1:28 pace.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Ya, back it down to a 1:26ish pace (or slower), and refine your inputs by defining your markers and repeating good technique over and over. Good practice yeilds good riding.

That's the problem with the pin it til you bin it technique. You get faster, but not necessarily better.

Paul_E_D

Ha! Good advice Doc!

Paul_E_D

my only request as a "student": trackwalk.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Wow, two pices of the same advice at the same time. Maybe i should listen... I did run 28's last weekend (on dans EX), guessing that does not count?

Can i learn much going that much slower? if you guys say so ill do it.

LRRS #951

Ha! Good advice Doc!
    I don't know as much as you but I have gleaned a little over the last 4 years.

Last edited by Doc; 06-18-10 at 08:23 AM.
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Wow, two pices of the same advice at the same time. Maybe i should listen... I did run 28's last weekend (on dans EX), guessing that does not count?

Can i learn much going that much slower? if you guys say so ill do it.
    You can learn a TON. As Paul said, picking up markers and points on the track, working 1 corner at a time then backing it off a bit and thinking about what you just did.

It takes some control to not get caught up and wick it up for a full session (ask me how I know lol)

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

You can repeat success, find accurate markers, smooth out inputs, etc. All the things you can't learn when you're riding over your head. Just as an outsider, I haven't seen you ride, but have followed your season, I think it's safe to say that you are riding well outside your skill level. It's all good til you get hurt really badly. I've watched it happen many many times unfortunately.

Paul_E_D

I think this is a great tool. I do one at least twice a year.

If you are there Monday Night I will see if we can do one (with instructors other than just me). Definately take people up on this at any trackday you go to.

Last edited by Doc; 06-18-10 at 08:35 AM.
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

That was roughly a 1 min 50 second lap. Is this normal for track days?
    i was lapping in the 1:45-1:48 consistently and i was not being passed too much in the red group so i would say thats average for our red group. my best lap in red was 1:43 on a gsxr-600

Quote Originally Posted by eduardorr52 View Post
    i was lapping in the 1:45-1:48 consistently and i was not being passed too much in the red group so i would say thats average for our red group. my best lap in red was 1:43 on a gsxr-600
    Please do not take my comment that your pit out sucked personally.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

If you could twist the throttle enough, you would be up to track walk speed in no time.

If you could put the fork down, you'd be down to where you should be in no time.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I carry more Fat, therefore I carry more speed.

Erik is still laughing at you.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FireboltEric_MA View Post
    I carry more Fat, therefore I carry more speed.
    Only down the hill into the bowl.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Back on topic!

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

My issues aren't so much form and line as they are getting the balls to not brake so early and carry more speed into and out of corners.

Unfortunately, that's not something you can teach. It's something you have to overcome. Fear is not your friend at the track.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

I'll be instructing on the 6th as well... I'll try and correct any advice doc gives you guys

Phew! Thanks Ryan!

Paul_E_D

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast