Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Any benefit to a metal gas can?

Re: Any benefit to a metal gas can?

Quote Originally Posted by "Dangerous" Dan K View Post
    Just curious, why do you take your waste oil all the way to autozone instead of just dumping it in the oil waste station @ the track?

I know the plastic VP cans are great, they're just another $50 and I'm trying to keep the race budget low. A lot of non-race expenses in my life recently went way up... basically doubled. My disposable income is a lot less, at least for the rest of this season.
    I meant the oil changes that I do at home and not at the track, which is most of them.... autozone is like 5 minutes from my garage.

I got my VP plastic jug for like 35 bucks free shipping I think off of eBay... some discount racecar supply company or something.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ceo and a bunch of numbers View Post
    I meant the oil changes that I do at home and not at the track, which is most of them.... autozone is like 5 minutes from my garage.

I got my VP plastic jug for like 35 bucks free shipping I think off of eBay... some discount racecar supply company or something.
    Gotcha. Cool shit on the plastic jug too, may be worth the investment. Then again w/ 2 weekends left and one too close to have it for anyway, I may as well just hold off and do something over the winter.

the vp dude at the track sells the plastic jugs w/hose for like 35-40 bucks too

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Quote Originally Posted by seth399 View Post
    No shit? Cool. Being the DIY/tweaker type that I am, I may enjoy rigging something over the winter though. Much like some oil cans and whatnot, rigging something so I could control how much fuel I put in without having to stop, look, stop, look would be cool. I've been trying to keep from coming in after a race with 2+ gallons still in the tank lately. It's a small detail, but the EX makes small HP. @ 6lbs/gallon, I'm coming in from a race with 12lbs of fuel in my bike, sloshing around the top part as I try to throw my 400+lb bike around. Every little bit helps and all that. Probably pointless, but it'll give me something else to do over the winter. Then when race season comes and I realize my homebrew gas can/dispensing system sucks, I can buy the VP jug I'll realize I should have bought this season

On the EX Id fill it so it was just over the part on the bottom. That was enough for GTs, and probably still way more than enough.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

I'd been doing it that way. Then I brought it in last weekend and one of hte experts looked at it... turns out I damn near ran the thing empty. In a sprint. I was told had it been a GT I'd have most likely run out, and it was over the metal thing at the bottom. I'd say that maybe I forgot to fill it again after practice, but I did not run a single practice all weekend

Quote Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post
    Is there any benefit, aside from increased empty weight so it doesn't fly out of my open trailer when I'm too stupid to lash it down properly, to getting a metal gas can? Sears for a five-gallon plastic container.

Suggestions? Thoughts?
    Short answer YES

There are benefits to METAL gas cans that seal properly over poly jugs
    I wrote this a couple years back for LRRS web site

http://www.lrrsracing.com/spec_fuel_..._race_fuel.pdf

As much as 20% of the volatility can be lost in as little as 4 weeks sloshing around in a sealed plastic jug...... you might say, "I don't notice the difference", try it on a dyno compared to "fresh" fuel. Lap times DO notice it... those that race may sometimes wonder why laps times are off and then get better - sure it could be for many reason - why not eliminate this one. Ethanol does not hurt metal cans - VP Street Blaze 100 has 10% in it and they store it unopened in metal cans.

I notice "tired" fuel in race bikes all the time when fuel testing at NHMS against spec fuel rules and looking for forbidden substances such as propylene oxide, ethylene oxide, pyridoxine and any basic nitrogen or sulfur-bearing compounds (i.e. pyridine, aniline, pyrrole, dimethylsulfoxide, etc.). Some of the above substances are generally referred to as “rocket fuels”.
    None of these substances are found in “spec” fuels.

It amazes me people use old fuel but spend a ton on money on other things to help them go fast.....

Last edited by xsiliconkid; 08-27-09 at 06:47 AM.
    Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

Quote Originally Posted by seth399 View Post
    But they don't sell the fuel in plastic.....race gas volatile components march even fast through the large open molecular structure of poly.

Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

Quote Originally Posted by xsiliconkid View Post
    But they don't sell the fuel in plastic.....race gas volatile components march even fast through the large open molecular structure of poly.
    Ya, I know I mentioned that earlier that storing the gas in metal is better than plastic container, dangerous dan had asked about actual jugs that are practical at the track though.

LRRS #399
    MX #505

I just avoid this problem by using a plastic jug, and at the end of the weekend what didn't get burned goes into my truck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12