Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Calabogie

Calabogie

grrrrrreat track. Holy crap. So smooth, wide, long, and challenging.

Saturday was very cold and kinda damp. Only missed one session due to rain, but I found the cold/damp track a little sketchy. The track is so long, every turn is blind, and everything looks the same. The first day I felt lost - come up to a blind corner at speed and brake too much because I have no idea what is around the corner. Because everything looks the same, it is hard to find the line. Anyway, it took me a full day to find halfway decent lines and get up to speed.

Second day was great. Once you learn the track, it is amazing. It is only the second track I've been to, but wow. The smooth long turns - lean over and go, go, go. Some seriously challenging corners (decreasing radius turn (turn 8) catches a lot of people), high speed sets of turns and straights.

Kind of a weird set up -

Inspection
    the folks running the track are serious about noise (they measure you in the morning and on the track), back protectors (they check you every session), and tech inspection is very thorogh. But, after that, there are almost no rules.

Flags
    They give a two minute rider's meeting in which they mention flags, but no one can hear the speaker. A waving red means stop on the track (no kidding), a standing red means pit in. Guess what, no one has any idea what is go on (even the corner workers (the 24 of them), don't seem to know the rules). Flash a red flag and there is mayham. Seriously dangerous.

Instruction
    There is basically no instruction (no track maps, white X, etc). There are control riders/instructors, but they don't do any coaching. The instructors just race around the track even in the slow group (when they pass you, you know there is another instructor about to pass you because they race each other around the track). Not bad guys, just wish I could follow them though a set of turns to check out there lines.

Other riders
    Everyone up there is pretty cool. Mostly Canadian riders - friendly folks and most are pretty good riders. However, a lot of folks don't know the lines or the track. The passing is a little sketchy (actually a lot sketchy).
    The folks pitting next to me the second day were there for the first time ever. Nice guys and we were BS in the morning. I mentioned how difficult I found the track the first day. They thought I was overstating the track. Well, one of them crashed their first session. He was fine. Later he ran into the grass in the same corner. When they were leaving, he noted that the track will teach you to respect her. True enough.

Thanks to Burnham and crew. Great folks and they put on a great dinner. They helped me out with a locking nut that got me through tech spec and onto the track. Oh, and those dudes can ride!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2006 Triumph Speed Triple - Street
    2003 R6 - Track
    2000 SV650 - Street/Track

That's right, back to a 2 cylinder, 3 cylinder, and a 4 cylinder.

Calabogie

Sounds like its every man for himself up there!

06 Ducati 800ss

Calabogie

Who ran the event? Was it the track themselves of some other organization. I think SBTT and NESBA do, (or are considering), track days at Calabogie!

Did you camp? Last I heard there were no facilities...showers, bathrooms, food, etc. Still the case?

Also, how long does it really take to get there...from where???

Gonna get there next year one way or another!!!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Lifer

Calabogie

nice to hear you had a good time up there Kevin....sounds like I am def gonna have to make a trip up there next year

'22 Aprilia rs660
    '18 Aprilia Tuono Factory

If you look down, you go down. That may be fun at an orgy, but it sucks on a bike

I like my cool old bike. Ericthejet's Avatar

Calabogie

I used to live 45 minutes from the Calabogie track. I have never been on the track but most of my friends who have gone to the track days enjoy the site.

The locals really really opposed the track being built from day 1, but now that it is open the seemed to have calmed down a bit.

Next time you head up there stop in the town of Arinprior and go get fries at Wes' Chips on the main drag across from Tims.

Calabogie

Quote Originally Posted by Ericthejet View Post
    I used to live 45 minutes from the Calabogie track. I have never been on the track but most of my friends who have gone to the track days enjoy the site.

The locals really really opposed the track being built from day 1, but now that it is open the seemed to have calmed down a bit.

Next time you head up there stop in the town of Arinprior and go get fries at Wes' Chips on the main drag across from Tims.
    I'll have to look for those fries.

As I was watching some of the other groups, I had a chace to talk to a family from Renfrew (sp) who came down to watch on Sunday. Real friendly folks who asked all sorts of questions about the track and seemed to think it was pretty cool. When I mentioned how much I (and others) liked the track they absolutely beemed with Canadian pride.

They also mentioned the noise complaints, but said that personally they were surprise how quite we were (I guess in comparison with the complaints).

2003 R6 - Track

Calabogie

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    Who ran the event?
    teampromotion. You can check Motorcycle Trackdays in Ontario for other days/companies at Calabogie and other Canadian tracks.

Did you camp? Last I heard there were no facilities...showers, bathrooms, food, etc. Still the case?
    I stayed at a hotel down the street. Same as last year. No electricity, water, food, etc. Only three porta johns....

Bring everything you could possibly need (gas, parts, lunch, water, a generator if you want to run tire warmers, a canopy for shade, etc.)

Also, how long does it really take to get there...from where???
    Depends on traffic and the boarder. You can loose hours to traffic in Montreal and Ottawa. With minimal traffic, minimal boarder crossing time (e.g., 15 mins.), three quick stops for gas, and a quick pace...it is about 9 hours. However, if you get bogged down it could easily take 10-11 hours.

Last edited by wookie; 09-18-07 at 09:50 AM.
    2003 R6 - Track

I like my cool old bike. Ericthejet's Avatar

Calabogie

A quicker route migt be to skirt Montreal and Ottawa by heading west on the 401 in Ontario and then going North up to 'bogie. This route would depend on your starting point.
    The #501 in 'bogie sees lots of riders during the warmer months as it has become the "road" to test tires and abilities.

Calabogie

Good to meet you Kevin, we had a great time. I'll see you at the Penguin day. Here are a few pics of Calabogie.

Calabogie

Nice pics!

06 Ducati 800ss

Calabogie

Very nice! looks like your a regular track day whore

Looking to do my first with LAPS 10-10 and I can't wait

I seen your other post (which was deleted) just didn't want to respond and blow up that thread

~ Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it.~

Calabogie

yeah, woops. No off topic stuff I guess. I might see you there.

After 10/10, you are going to want to sign up for Calabogie next year.

2003 R6 - Track

Calabogie

I'll want to sign up for them ALL and if work stay busy with the OT then I will be able to feed the need

~ Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it.~

Calabogie

nice one kevin. wish I was there. next year for sure.

Carlton
    My facebook