Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Calabogie Trip Report

Calabogie Trip Report

Incredibogie.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Ambition Outweighs Talent strgt's Avatar

Re: Calabogie Trip Report

Ill be heading up Sunday for two days

www.streetandcomp.com
    LRRS/CCS/WERA Am. #290
    NESBA Adv. #290

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Quote Originally Posted by strgt
    Ill be heading up Sunday for two days
    U are a lucky lucky man.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Some more details: the track is a hair over 3 miles, 20 turns. Probably the most incredible thing is the pavement quality. There is not a bump crack or defect in the entire surface even with Canadian winters and all the cars on it. I'm told they use a special polymer to seal it tha is very expensive. Someone sai the pavement cost 3 million alone. Really incredible when you compare it to njmp which is getting torn up from cars and winger in less than 2 seasons.
    The track itself flows inredibly well and even though it's 3 miles does not waste a ton of it on huge straightaways. There are 2 both of whose speed is heavily determined by the drive from the previous corner. Here are a couple of very high speed corners, knee down for me at 105-110 at tip in. Again for me I have not done that speed anywhere else I don't think. And you are on the gas again right away!! There are some equally technical sections with double and triple apex 180 degree sections and off camber decreasing radius stuff.

The other incredible part was the group we ran with does 2 groups, 20 minute sessions so you get 50% more track time!! Bill and I used 32 gallons of fuel in 2 days!!! 32 freaking gallons!!!

We are going to go back in august and I highly highly recommend it. Makes it seem like loudon is a parking lot!!

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Nice! I went there two years ago for my second track day. I dont think I enjoyed it nearly as much as I am going to now!

Anyways, how was tire wear and did one side of your tires wear faster than the other. Im guessing the right since a lot of the track is clockwise, but its been so long I dont remember. I have a bunch of my takeoffs from loudon, which are pretty worn on the left and good on the right side that I want to burn off, thats why im asking.

www.streetandcomp.com
    LRRS/CCS/WERA Am. #290
    NESBA Adv. #290

Quote Originally Posted by strgt
    Nice! I went there two years ago for my second track day. I dont think I enjoyed it nearly as much as I am going to now!

Anyways, how was tire wear and did one side of your tires wear faster than the other. Im guessing the right since a lot of the track is clockwise, but its been so long I dont remember. I have a bunch of my takeoffs from loudon, which are pretty worn on the left and good on the right side that I want to burn off, thats why im asking.
    Fairly even actually, I don't see much diff between sides. B/C the track wraps back on itself you get a decent number of lefts.

Beware of turn 8 which will suck you in and bite you. I struggled with 12 as well since you are off the bike on the right coming in and need to downshift and brake in a short amount of time.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Is it a pro6 day? I am curious about how you like it as we are going to be doing some most likely.

Last edited by Manny; 06-25-10 at 03:54 PM.
    EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post

Fairly even actually, I don't see much diff between sides. B/C the track wraps back on itself you get a decent number of lefts.

Beware of turn 8 which will suck you in and bite you. I struggled with 12 as well since you are off the bike on the right coming in and need to downshift and brake in a short amount of time.
    8 is the triple apex left with the off camber exit to the straightaway? I remember that one very well, I actually dream about that one a lot when I have dreams about racing.

www.streetandcomp.com
    LRRS/CCS/WERA Am. #290
    NESBA Adv. #290

Ha...glad you enjoyed it...though not a bit surprised! I followed you the afternoon on the second day and you looked like you were pretty comfortable.

Worth noting...the 2 session format is peculariar to SSR which is a private, not for profit 'invitation only' event!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

I am also going up there on Sunday, to ride Mon-Wed with Pro 6. Trouble was supposed to come too...

The report sounds great, I am looking forward to it.

manny, few questions.

are there different tracks (north, south, full, clockwise, counter-clockwise, etc)? if so, which one(s) did you ride & what is your favorite.

if you had both bikes track ready, would you prefer the 749r or the 1098s? i'm curious if there's mostly 600's or 1000's riding there.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

i rode with pro6 for my second trackday. good group of people. a little more informal, just alot of riding.

Not much beats 3 days at 'Bogie, that's for sure!! Such an amazing track!!

Manny, it was nice to meet you and Bill. I'm jealous that you're heading back up later in the summer.

DucDave, as always, a pleasure traveling with you!!

'15 MV Agusta F3
    '08 Hyper 1100s

I need to save up some money to make a trip there next year.

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

Damn you guys. Well, I'll be heading up there next year.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Quote Originally Posted by DBKromz View Post
    manny, few questions.

are there different tracks (north, south, full, clockwise, counter-clockwise, etc)? if so, which one(s) did you ride & what is your favorite.

if you had both bikes track ready, would you prefer the 749r or the 1098s? i'm curious if there's mostly 600's or 1000's riding there.
    Track Facts

Length: 5.05 km (3.05 miles)
    Number of Turns: 20
    West Track: 2.2km (1.38 miles)
    East Track: 2.81km (1.74 miles)
    Track Width: 40 feet
    Elevation Change: 65 feet
    Camber in turns: 0% to 6%
    Straightaway: 2000 ft.
    Direction: Clockwise
    Surface: Polymer Modified Asphalt (Koch Stylink PG 70-34)
    Safety systems: Extensive run-offs, and combination of tire barriers/walls, guardrail, and concrete

I don't think they split the track up much. I believe almost all, if not all, are the full course.
    As with most tracks there were a solid mix of bikes. Certainly no need for a 1000, infect the school there has 4 ninja 250 as rentals and encourages students to ride them.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

my very 1st trackday was at bogie with TPM. the track was so big that it was sunny at certain turns & raining at another. that track is incredible

Quote Originally Posted by boloson View Post
    the track was so big that it was sunny at certain turns & raining at another. that track is incredible
    So true, that happened this week while we were there!! Debris flags pointed towards the sky on one end of the track but not the other. Speaking of debris, this time around there were no large mammals (last year there were deer and a bear that were spotted) except for a man walking across the front straight carrying an infant. . .

. . . Other than that, just turtles and a groundhog or two.

'15 MV Agusta F3
    '08 Hyper 1100s