Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Derek's awesome and never ending thread

Re: Derek's awesome and never ending thread

ok - here's my thought on what's going on in T1-2

I think what is happening here has a lot to do with how slow I am (corner speed) in T1 after switching to a tight line. Since my speed is lower my turn in RPs and inputs dont make sense anymore. So I start to turn in fast (edit: this applies to T1A and T2...not sure how fast I'm turing in @ T1) - then see that I'm early and pause the turn in until I come out wide ehough to make it around the apex.

This, of course, also contributes to how much I'm turing at and after the apex.

Also interesting...this is one of the things that happened when I crashed in T10. I was going REALLY slow on a warmup lap. Some people who saw it said I looked a bit wide (where I crashed) but my unusual line was because I didnt alter my turn in RP and input enough to match my very slow speed - I had to pause the turn in - wait to come around the corner and then turn again.

Sound reasonable? Look like it might be true when you watch the video?

Lemme know! Thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by DerekSBelanger; 12-18-09 at 02:59 PM.
    Are you laughing because its pink? Thats awesome because it makes me laugh too!

The entire point of taking a tight line into T1 is to stay on the gas longer, brake later... to carry your top speed from the straight as long as possible. It sounds like you're taking a tighter line but without taking advantage of why its actually the better one.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekSBelanger View Post
    ... but my unusual line was because I didnt alter my turn in RP and input enough to match my very slow speed - I had to pause the turn in - wait to come around the corner and then turn again.
    Either your turn-in RP OR how quickly you turn in must change if speed changes.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekSBelanger View Post
    ok - here's my thought on what's going on in T1-2

I think what is happening here has a lot to do with how slow I am (corner speed) in T1 after switching to a tight line. Since my speed is lower my turn in RPs and inputs dont make sense anymore. So I start to turn in fast (edit: in T1A and T2...really not sure how fast I'm turing in @ T1) - then see that I'm early and pause the turn in until I come out wide ehough to make it around the apex.

This, of course, also contributes to how much I'm turing at and after the apex.!
    Derek,
    This may be of some comfort. (the race day 1 & 2 info).

First, I am not going to talk about the mechanics of bike or body, nor reference points, and track position ....just make some observations and a simple conclusion.

Why can I talk about all this? – You judge. Here is my recent experience with T1. First I stood in the T1 area for 4 days and dissected T1/1a/2 before and after T1 changes and before/after the below race day1&2 info.. I used similar methodology as I did for generating T11/12 track walks- picked a hard part of the track where I noticed most just, “get through” (for those that have walked with me understand). Currently the new T1 is like that. As further support of my experience for T1/1a/2, I spent at least 10 hrs in T1/1a/2 area with Eric Wood when he was figuring out how to make a temp chicane work while construction was going on in the old t1 (we tried and rode so many variations – in the friggin rain). This in addition to 100’s of laps on the track. In other words lots of exposure, both on track and by the side of T1 in figuring things out.. I simply point this out not to toot my horn, but by way of explaining (and I think you would agree) TTD instructors under the watchful eye of Ken Condon are brought on board/earn their spot and remain on board because they have and continue to gain a wealth of knowledge – it is hard gained. Not instructors just because they are fast racers.

OK enough of that…. Let me switch the conversation to the first time the really fast guys (Expert, single digit, racers; Wood's, Greenwood, Narbonne etc) saw the new T1.

New T1
    Race Day 1.
    After the first race day after netting everything else out, "they" all were about 0.5 seconds slower per lap - Therefore the general consensus said, “T1 new configurations adds about 0.5sec to lap times”... This was supported by previous days of open practice (Thursday open session, Friday Penguin sessions, Sat morning race practice- All before a wheel was turned in heated competition)
    Everyone immediately started to view/adjust their race lap times and personal best goals with this +.05seconds in mind, "If I can get within 0.5 sec of my P.B.."then I am gaining".

Race Day 2.
    Suddenly the fast guys were going faster, the local track record being broken by about 0.5 second..... The facts were in, it turns out the track is actually about 0.5 seconds faster due to the new T1 configuration. Everyone else groaned and reset their virtual personal lap time goal/benchmark.

What has this to do with us/your comments?
    Well it took quite a few days and heated competition to get to the point that T1 was faster and not slower then before..... Extrapolate this to mere mortals - it means, it’s going to take quite a while to figure out T1, to get T1 down to where it's comfortable again and does not negatively impact previous performance.

Switch back to this thread - CONCLUSION
    Don't beat yourself up or expect it to come all at once or even over quite a number of days... progress comes slowly but surely, and there are many things that make us go backward; feel uncomfortable out there, not in the groove, rhythm gone away, Lap times slower. etc. – whatever has been or is our goal(s). Measure progress in six moths increments not day to day – you will be astounded at the progress.
    Your points and comments are spot on - trying to figure out changes to make it all work. I/we applaud that. It makes us all think. I bet quite of few people have gained by just reading this thread from your questions and all the comments.
    The reasons we do this is the fun factor, the challenge, and the improvement. So..........

Now to what did the experts do after many days of practice and two solid days of racing that got them a full 1 second swing, just from one turn?

Come to 2010 TTD events and all will be revealed, not just T1 but any corner……:-)
    Maybe I can convince Tony and Ken to put on a couple of seminars over the winter for “how to advance your track riding skills”, those interested to get some of the corner by corner “practical theory” betterunderstood. Give you plenty of tangible items to go away with and think about putting into practice….

Would anyone be interested?

Come on ski season………..

Last edited by xsiliconkid; 10-24-09 at 09:47 AM.
    Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

Quote Originally Posted by xsiliconkid View Post
    Maybe I can convince Tony and Ken to put on a couple of seminars over the winter for “how to advance your track riding skills”, those interested to get some of the corner by corner “practical theory” betterunderstood. Give you plenty of tangible items to go away with and think about putting into practice….

Would anyone be interested?
    Duh! Show me the money!

Are you laughing because its pink? Thats awesome because it makes me laugh too!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567