Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Dropped Four Seconds...

Dropped Four Seconds...

I had a blast at the TTDs this week. There was both wet and dry track time on Tuesday, which proved to be beneficial. During the first part of the day I kept things nice and slow, made a bunch of observations trying to pick up landmarks for potential reference points, and worked on finishing my braking early to set my corner speed just right. Even once the track dried out, I did a few sessions working on corner speed as opposed to braking.

After doing this and talking with PK and Michael about some things, I went out for a dry session and immediately dropped 2 seconds from my PB and snagged a 1:26xx. Later in the day I followed Gino and Scott and dropped some more time ending in the 1:25.7s for the day.

PK wore one of my GPS lap timers for a session on Tuesday, and I had one of Michael's Qstarz files from a race...I studied them on Tuesday night and found some spots where I could make easy gains. Then, I rode an entire session with Michael on Wednesday and hit a 1:24.38....which is far faster than I expected to get this season. I hit a few 1:24s throughout the day and that gave me some confidence that I had learned what Michael showed me. Below is a video from the QRacing software of my best lap in July vs. my best lap in August. It's especially interesting, to me, to watch the speed/distance graph at the bottom of the video.

Big thanks to Michael (PainfullySlowl) for spending a good portion of the day working with me. Also thanks to Peter Kates, Gino, Scott, and of course Ken for the recent personal instruction.

YouTube- Dropping Four Seconds at Loudon

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by loudog; 08-18-11 at 11:00 PM.
    Retired LRRS/CCS EX #212 | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Dainese USA |

Another Ducati snob #1 masshole's Avatar

Re: Dropped Four Seconds...

Never seen a lap analysis like this. That's pretty freaking cool. Great job on the successful day man

Way cool vid and nice work too!

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Huge difference in carrying corner speed and getting on the throttle earlier. Your drives out of T2, T3, T6, T10 and T12 are definitely noticeable.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

the graph shows how much smoother you are also, with the exception of some funky on off throttle in T8 (between 6-7 on your map in the video).

you're doing very well and I'm sure the instructors like working with you because it seems you take instruction very well.

Eatibus almost anythingus Marc R's Avatar

Nice job!

With your energy level, those numbers are just going to keep dropping. It was good to meet you at the Tue/Wed TTD.

Thanks guys! Yeah CBR, I'm still having a bit of throttle trouble around turn 8. I think it's just a matter of courage. I believe a steering damper would help my head a bit too.

It was good meeting you too Marc! I've always seen you around but never made the official intro.

Last edited by loudog; 08-20-11 at 08:30 AM.
    Retired LRRS/CCS EX #212 | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Dainese USA |