Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Enclosed Trailer/Mobile Garage after downsizing to an Apartment

Enclosed Trailer/Mobile Garage after downsizing to an Apartment

Hey all!

Title is rather all inclusive. I’m moving back to Boston and losing my garage come July but would like to keep the bike and track gear around.

Luckily I have an Uncle willing to let me store an enclosed trailer with my bike related goodies at his house which is conveniently located on my way to NHMS.

The questions I have for this is I want to see, from all your experiences, what would be the most ideal size, design and lay outs for a trailer capable of being towed behind a 1/2 ton. As much as I would love an all aluminum 7x14 V nose I would rather keep the entire budget to sub $5k (including trailer & alterations as needed). I think a 6x12 V can fit my needs perfectly if I am smart about storage

I will be keeping a a single SV, possibly my ttr90 (debating selling for a mtn bike), my craftsman classic rolling box, a place to sleep with bike inside and my standard race gear.

Does anyone have input on where the best deals on enclosed trailers are? I hear buying prepped is the key but haven’t seen many around. Any feedback on a 6x12 v vs a 7x14? Any brand to avoid?

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Enclosed Trailer/Mobile Garage after downsizing to an Apartment

So, I've got a 6x10, I think you'll be hard pressed to have all of that stuff in a 6x12 AND have room to sleep. If you're talking just storing a packed up cot no problem, but cot deployed will be tight without taking stuff out.

7x14. I leave my rolling toolbox in the trailer, and work on the bikes pretty often. I have a 7x14, and don't think a shorter trailer would cut it. I used to tow it with a tundra, and the truck handled it fine.

High maintenance priss

6x12 will work if you want to get creative with arrangements. I had a 6x10 w/ v-nose. 2 bikes plus a makeshift bed platform above the bikes in the rear. Small tool box, shelf, tv, electric hookup in the front. It worked. If moving stuff around all the time doesn't frustrate you: 6x12 (ideally V) will work. To give you an idea, here's my 6x10 w/ vee. The front shelf was removed in order to fit 3 bikes for this particular trip.
    Enclosed Trailer/Mobile Garage after downsizing to an Apartment-2012-07-20-21-16-a

7x14 will give you many more options for living space and not have to play tetris with your stuff.

Unfortunately, the place I bought my 7x14 V-nose for $3400 incl. tax is no longer in business, but I think it's an idea size. 6x12 would work, but would be a bit more snug. If you're looking to keep the toolbox in the rig while you sleep, I'd say 7x12 or 4 - allows for the mattress to fit horizontally.

If your uncle has room for a 2nd trailer, I'm in Boston and looking for space to rent for mine too

Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

I’m rolling a 6.5x14 v nose and it’s great. The 7’ width would be my only ask. Two bikes wide plus a fold up bed is a bit tight.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

one thing to keep in mind is if you buy a dual axle trailer (generally larger than 6x12), you'll have a title for it and need to insure it.
    if you're towing a single axle trailer, it's considered an extension of your car when towing and doesnt need its own insurance coverage

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    one thing to keep in mind is if you buy a dual axle trailer (generally larger than 6x12), you'll have a title for it and need to insure it.
    if you're towing a single axle trailer, it's considered an extension of your car when towing and doesnt need its own insurance coverage
    Are you certain about this? As far as I've always known, a trailer isn't considered a passenger vehicle and is not subject to anything other than being registered for use on the public roads. Insurance coverage would be on the part of the tow vehicle, not the trailer itself....unless this is a Mass thing...?

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    Are you certain about this? As far as I've always known, a trailer isn't considered a passenger vehicle and is not subject to anything other than being registered for use on the public roads. Insurance coverage would be on the part of the tow vehicle, not the trailer itself....unless this is a Mass thing...?
    it's definitely a MA thing for sure. i asked these specific questions when i bought my 6x12 single axle in 2017.

EX 105

It’s not the number of axles...exactly. It’s the GVWR of the trailer. Anything with a GVWR of 3,000 lbs or less is just registered, no title. Anything 3,001 or above is titled and insured. Most trailers 7x14 and larger are dual axle and are rated above 3,001 lbs. Most.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    It’s not the number of axles...exactly. It’s the GVWR of the trailer. Anything with a GVWR of 3,000 lbs or less is just registered, no title. Anything 3,001 or above is titled and insured. Most trailers 7x14 and larger are dual axle and are rated above 3,001 lbs. Most.
    correct, but there are no dual axle trailers rated under 3000 pounds. it's generally 3500 pounds per axle, but their GVWR is 3000. that;s why i said anything larger than 6x12. there are a few 6x14 that are single axle, but it's difficult to find.

EX 105

Yes buddy, I was explaining what the actual law was, your explanation was the tail wagging the dog. It’s about the manufacturers rating. I could bolt a 7k axle under my 5x10 open trailer, doesn’t mean it’s rated for 7k. The number of axles or rating of those axles is only a part of the mfg’s GBWR rating.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Enclosed Trailer/Mobile Garage after downsizing to an Apartment-screen-shot-2020-01-14-a

6x12 is fine. Obviously you take your bike and tool chest out at night. What the hell are these guys talking about? Go look at trailers in person and make the call yourself.

#529 Amateur 2007 Triumph Daytona 675
    2015 BMW S1000RR