Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

View Poll Results: Do you use frame sliders at the track?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 91.18%
  • No

3 8.82%
  • Sometimes

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Do you use frame sliders at the track?

Re: Do you use frame sliders at the track?

Well then any skinny shriveled leg that skinny probably isn't worth keeping. Creepy

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by motoarch View Post
    Well then any skinny shriveled leg that skinny probably isn't worth keeping. Creepy
    I hope you're not a doctor in an ER room making decisions lol. I have healthy runners legs. Thankfully just 6 weeks off of work, crutches the 1st week, and a brace the rest is all I needed. Surgery only to remove the swelling that didn't dissipate on its own. My leg was squashed. My point was if the frame slider wasn't there, it would have been worse.

Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

Quote Originally Posted by motoarch View Post
    Now lets reply on a different note. Do you consider yourself to be smart, mediocre, or just plain dumb? I see you as someone with absolutely no common sense at all. So far I see just plain dumb. I can help you out on that.

Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

Quote Originally Posted by Jayspeed View Post
    Now lets reply on a different note.
    Don't fall for the troll bait. He has an MV, should answer all your questions. Sorry to hear about your crash.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    Don't fall for the troll bait. He has an MV, should answer all your questions. Sorry to hear about your crash.
    haha nice.

Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

Yes

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by backinthesaddle; 06-08-17 at 02:52 PM.
    2013 ZX6R-636

Lifetime Motorcyclist Woodcraft's Avatar

The key is to have them the right length. Remember that they are not "bodywork sliders" and that any slider that is long enough to keep your fairing from getting scratched in a driveway tipover is likely to also be one that will flip the bike when you crash. There are a ton of factors to how far a slider can poke out of the fairing, but the lower the are the less they can stick out. Also, if the base is longer, it's always going to be weaker. This is why we make direct our sliders for Ducati's (for example) typically with support braces and why we make them for a Ninja 300 (for example) that sit behind the bodywork. The more I see guys crash on them (the behind the bodywork sliders) the more I like them. Yes, the bodywork gets scratched (news flash - it was getting scuffed anyway) but when it's trapped between the slider and the pavement it almost never breaks. Guys crash those little bikes multiple times and can just keep slapping decals over the scuffs - it makes the bodywork actually last way longer.

Lots more I could say, but that's my two cents for now. We started making these new "domed" sliders last year, and I've had guys retro fit them on lots of our kits. They are a little wider at the base (so you might need to open up your hole in the bodywork) but the sloped edges simply don't catch on things when sliding. It's what I now run on all my personal bikes. Below is a sample of an adapted kit (a 2011 ZX6) with our domed slider on there.

Do you use frame sliders at the track?-dome-slider-kit-jpg

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

My 2 cents ...

I picked up a used R6 track bike with frame sliders and tank protectors and they both came in good use in my last track day at Cannaan. I tucked the front into turn 10 and the bike and I went sliding off the track. The frame sliders took the brunt of sliding , but so did the tank protector and handle bar slider. The plastics got some rash, but nothing compared to what might have happened without them. I can only imagine the potential carnage to the motor and frame.

I have heard some discussion about frame sliders catching tarmac or off track "parts" and then causing the bike more harm, didn't happen for me, thank God. My crash was probably in the 30 mph range.

I'm glad I had them ...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I currently have a frame slider on the right side of my bike, but not on the left. Coincidentally I have fairings on the right side but not the left. When I replace the fairings soon I think I will put a new slider on the left. The former one bent when I lowsided at NYST. The bike did a flip when it went off the track but I cant say for sure it was the fault of the slider, or the ditch in the grass. BTW they were short sato sliders. The best thing though were my case savers and tank protector. Case saver has a nice scuff on it but prevented damage to the case itself. The tank got a slight dent but the carbon fiber tank guard scuffed but saved the tank from grinding across the pavement.

2013 ZX6R-636

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123