Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Freak & Troubles Track Day Re-Cap!

Freak & Troubles Track Day Re-Cap!

Well, after 3 great days at the Track, a late night visit to the ER, and going to work late cause I was a basket of shit this morning…I figured it was time for the Freak & Trouble Track Day Re-Cap:

Monday: LAPS
    Freak:
    Not really feeling it during the first couple sessions in the morning, I was really excited the whole day before…Trouble and FTMS can attest that I was more than a little annoying Sunday evening and Monday morning!
    After lunch I bumped up to the Advanced group. I felt more settled and was getting into a good groove. I struggle from time to time with going too hard too fast at NHMS, and I had been taking it easy all day, but felt that things were progressing at a good pace.
    Even though I told FTMS that I was going to “take it easy” all day, I could not help myself and I went out hot (with a little talent PK)…the end result was a T6 crash. 3 laps, all by myself in the Fast Group, and I roll in WAAAAY too early, say to myself “Dude, you are deep into this corner!” and then oops, low side! The Aprilia and my body end up in the sand, a bunch of control riders show up, and tell me the bikes good…till I saw the huge dent in the front rim! SHIT. Long and short, I was out for the rest of the afternoon. Thanks Scott, Scott, Steve, and Rick (don’t know who else was there)…especially since Scott let me ride his RC51 back to the pits…that is a sweet ride!
    The Shark Skinz and spare tank took a good beating, but that’s why we get em, and other than the bent rim, the right exhaust, rear set, and frame sliders got a little buggered, the bike is pretty much good…thank God.

Trouble:
    Spent all day in Intermediate, tracking down 600’s and 1000’s with the ole Hawk. Draggin knee’s and taking names. PB 1:31.

Tuesday: TTD
    Freak:
    Trouble bumped up to Blue with me as Int. was PACKED. I was on a borrowed bike from Robbie of Cycle Wise…instead of trying to acquire a wheel for the Ape, he offered to take her home, and leave me his Triumph TT600. It was cold that morning, and after my booboo the day before I was very much taking it slow, especially since I was on a borrowed bike. By the third lap I was feeling pretty good, and the bike felt good, tires were warming up, and I zipped into 1,1A, and 2, spun the Titty up alittle down the straight into T3 and with the engine wailing after the downshift into 2nd (I was only going about 85), I slowly but firmly applied the brakes…only to find them mushy, with a faint feeling of front tire slide, so I released, and re-applied the brakes only to have the front end go crazy, sliding all over the place, then violently tossing me off to the right, and careening down the T3 chute, blue plastic flying everywhere while the bike blew threw the tires. I came to a stop on my knees at the very edge of the pavement, staring down bikes coming at me, and I very quickly made my way to the tire wall (not the tires in the corner, but on the straight in the braking zone). Crash #2 in less than 24 hours.

I was livid…pissed doesn’t even come close. All I could do was give people a thumb’s up when they asked me how I was. I was speechless. It’s a shitty feeling having to push your buddy’s bike back to the garage three laps into the first session of the day, and have everyone staring at you. After apologizing to Tony, and talking with Trouble, Ken, FTMS, and a few other people, the only thing I could come up with is that there was a small strip of oil that had run itself across the track horizontally half-way down the brake zone going into 3. I was a little to the right, and it just could have been enough fluid coverage, coupled with low-er tire temps (not using warmers) to have the front wash out on me. Whatever happened, it sucked, and the bike is in ROUGH shape.

Well, what’s a guy to do? 2 bikes down, one to go…Mike’s Hawk. It’s a good bike, runs like a champ…looks like hell. What are the chances of going 3 for 3…? Who cares if I have a known history of being an expert crash tester...I roll the Hawk over to Gino, who puts a Yellow sticker on her, slaps me on the back, and say’s “Good Luck.”
    All I can say is this-if your luck is down, and you feel like shit, ride a Hawk. Trouble gave me a push, we bump started the old girl, and off I went! I got three laps in on the next Int. Session, and I rolled back into Garage 18 with a HUGE smile on my face. Game on baby. Had a great day running the Hawk, and even got around to bumpin her all by myself…which brings me to tip over #3. Ya’ll thought that was it huh?

FireboltEric can personally testify to my acrobatic skills and reflexes. During the start of an afternoon session, I rolled the Hawk out to the front of the garage, did a little run, and as I jumped onto the bike, I pushed up too hard on the handle bars, and was WAY up in the air, next thing I know, the bike stopped, and I am heading face first towards the pavement…so, I tuck and roll, executing a perfect ninja flip over the handle bars, popping up onto my feet to a crowd of astounded riders . I don’t really know what happened, but I either 1) let the clutch out before my ass was on the seat, or 2) grabbed the front brake by accident when I jumped.
    After we picked the bike up (it was leaking fuel) I get a push, and head out for the session. After which I was the talk of the pits it seemed like for the rest of the day, and into the night. No one could actually believe that one, someone would do such and thing, and two, that I did it with such finesse. The TTD Crew that hung around Tuesday night also got a great show of Trouble and I pushing the bike around the parking lot with the Fuel Petcock closed after some minor fuel system maintenance, trying to bump start it for a test run and idle check, after which we also realized that it also helps to have the fuel pump plugged in as well. Awesome…

Trouble:
    Bumped up to Blue. Chased FirstLighting around on his race SV all day, along with tracking down some fast guys in the corners, and getting dusted on the straights. Along with pushing Freak around on the Hawk. PB 1:28.

PS:
    A few Boston Moto guys showed up later, and I got Scott a DD Coffee, in which he requested Hazelnut flavoring, with milk and 2 Splenda. So I called him a Homo, and drew a big dick on the lid so when he drank it he remembered that he was in fact, a Gay. Real men don’t use Splenda Scott. Though you are looking quite trim these days.

Wednesday: Boston Moto
    Freak:
    The nickname I picked up in NJ from the CycleWise crew was taped on the Hawk Number Plate…DBAG…I guess its applicable now, as I did toss Robbie’s bike down the track, and pretty much destroyed it.
    And I went out and had a great day on the Hawk. They really are tons of fun, and I really began to tighten up my lines, and learn how to run a small bike at a decent pace around the course. I also learned how frustrating it is to have big bikes ruin good laps for you when they park it in into corners and blast down the straights. Though it I fun to pass em! I even tried to convince Jim to take it out for a session, maybe it could help him with his line. But he listed off the multiple reasons why he just can’t ride a carbureted bike with GP shift that is a twin with less than 100hp and isn’t a GSXR. God Forbid someone takes a picture and his friends back home see it and make fun of him .

Trouble:
    Stayed in the Adv Group, turning some very hot laps, and giving the big bike fast guys a run for their money. PB 1:27.

Over all, a great 3 days. I got to break in the leathers, crash a few bikes, and my wrist was killing me all day, so my gf came over and we took a tri p to the ER for some X-Rays, then we grabbed some Wendy’s Late Night, and went to bed round 2am.

I owe again, the LAPS guys, Ken, Gino, and Tony, along with the Corner workers in T3 a huge thank you for the help after my crashes. It sucked big time, and you all took care of me.
    And last but not least, John “Trouble” Linn. Mr. Dependable. Not only did he drive us down and back, but he spend three days dealing with me crashing, talking in my sleep, being a pain the ass, and asking him for a push to bump start me almost every session. John, you are a great guy, and an even better friend. Thank you. Let me know what I owe you for gas $.
    So that’s that, I had blast with all three TD Groups, and it was great meeting more of the NESR crew. I hope to see you guys more next year.
    Also, thanks you Craig, Eric, and Q for the push starts when John was not available.

PEACE
    Bill
    ‘Freak’
    ‘DBag’
    ‘Crash’

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by MotoFreak; 10-01-09 at 09:21 PM.
    Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-
    '05 Aprilia Tuono Racing -Street-
    #46, Expert, CVMA -cvmaracing.com-

Re: Freak & Troubles Track Day Re-Cap!

Good Recap.

I was barreling down on you into the chute and watched you go down.

I thought you were going to save it actually and ride in the dirt, but no such luck. Glad you managed to have 3 good days despite the tumbles!

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Good read!
    I didn't know it was you garaged next to me. I mean I knew it was a "DBag" cause I could see the name plate. I just didn't know it was this "DBag" in particular.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MotoFreak View Post
    Even though I told FTMS that I was going to “take it easy” all day, I could not help myself and I went out hot (with a little talent PK)…the end result was a T6 crash. 3 laps, all by myself in the Fast Group, and I roll in WAAAAY too early, say to myself “Dude, you are deep into this corner!” and then oops, low side!
    This sounds vaguely familiar.

Glad you recovered. A crash on day 1 of 3 sucks, ask me how I know?

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

You performed the flip right in front on me while I was waiting to exit garage 3 (Central Autoworks GSXR600) I thought Tony had sprung for some stunt riders to put on a show!
    I checked you were OK and thought you wouldn't want a crowd.. I must say, you scwrewed up my lines for the first few corners, out of concern of course, not humor!
    I did make a mental note not to junk the starter!!

Haha...Awesome report there Bill. I still laugh when I think of your Ninja Moves off that Hawk... Shit I am laughing AGAIN!!! I wish I had a camera for that, Funniest home video would be giving out cash for that one. Your form was excellent!

Was great riding with you for a few laps per session also, fine tuning my horrible T1 lines. This is something I still need to work on. It is a tricky one for me... I'll be hanging with you faster guys in Blue next season & looking for pointers...

I hope you get your bike(s) all fixed up, and yourself as well! I was happy to make it through 2 days and not throw my on bike on the ground. I had very little confidence on it on the first day, was a totally different beast over the R6 I had. By day 2 things were starting to come together for me and my speed was picking up with every session out there.

I should have got the laps timer so I knew where I was for times. couldn't have been to bad as I was passing most people out there all day. couple "pucker" moments, blowing a corner or two but nothing to bad. For my first season of TD's I think I came a long way & learned a ton from all the control riders & others also this season.... THANKS GUYS!!!!

Great seeing you again Freak! Always a pleasure....Can't wait for next season and what it brings....

Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    Good Recap.

I was barreling down on you into the chute and watched you go down.

I thought you were going to save it actually and ride in the dirt, but no such luck. Glad you managed to have 3 good days despite the tumbles!
    Awesome...I would have liked to save it, but it happened pretty freakin quick, all I remember is getting back on the brakes, then saying to myself
    "FUCK!" when the tire starting slipping again, maybe I clamped down at that point and ruined my chances...these things happen I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    You performed the flip right in front on me while I was waiting to exit garage 3 ...I did make a mental note not to junk the starter!!
    Oh the starter is still there...just, uh, kinda fuggered up.

Last edited by MotoFreak; 10-01-09 at 10:15 PM.
    Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-

All in all a good couple of days at the track. At least you won't be bored this winter. Plenty of winter projects now.

2004 Honda VTR
    1998 Honda VTR (Track Bike )
    1990 Honda CB-1
    1973 Yamaha RD350
    http://www.ftmsnh.com

Holy Hell! You should post this over in the "dumbest things I've ever done on the track" thread. You just compiled a career's worth of highlights in a 3 day period! Glad you're OK. Perhaps golf is your thing?

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Perhaps golf is your thing?
    Only if he is not driving the cart.

2004 Honda VTR
    1998 Honda VTR (Track Bike )
    1990 Honda CB-1
    1973 Yamaha RD350
    http://www.ftmsnh.com

good call!

Paul_E_D

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Freak-

Golf ain't your thing - riding motorcycles fast around a track is!

Shitty luck but you had a great attitude about the whole deal I thought. I am glad you jumped on the Hawk and kept rolling. How many Hawk race bikes are sitting up in VT by the way? Amazing - they are everywhere.

It was great to see you and the rest of guys Tuesday. Glad you are feeling ok. If a don't figure out how to ride in the rain this weekend and wreck the SV - we will trade off in the spring.

Take care buddy!
    Matt

Sorry about the 'close-ish' pass in the bowl on wednesday... ya pussy! Good times
    Perhaps golf is your thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by FTMS View Post
    Only if he is not driving the cart.

Last edited by CEO; 10-02-09 at 09:00 AM.
    Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

I hate to say it but it sounds like you NEED to join Hawk Nation.

Glad you're ok. Wish I was there to see it. Sorry we didn't get to run much at LAPS but you never came over to hook up with me.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

oh that was you on the ape in T6 on monday? haha didn't even realize.... I think I was the first instructor to stop and help ya out (only the blue R6).

I think its awesome you kept at it...more than a few people would have called it quits.

Are you laughing because its pink? Thats awesome because it makes me laugh too!

Everybody here should know I'm joking. One day at NHMS I blew up my EXi in the bowl, borrowed a really nice EX, crashed it in the bowl, fixed it, then REALLY crashed it in the bowl, bought it. My most expensive day of motorcycling to date. I'm sure the bill for Freaks day will be even bigger... sometimes sitting on the sidelines is, well, cheaper. Not to mention easier on friendships! Not that I ever chose that route.

Paul_E_D

a really nice EX
    Did you bump your hear on that first crash?

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Lol! That EX handled great right up to the 1:20 mark. It was nice to ride, if not to behold.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by ceo and a bunch of numbers View Post
    Sorry about the 'close-ish' pass in the bowl on wednesday... ya pussy! Good times
    No worries little fella!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I hate to say it but it sounds like you NEED to join Hawk Nation.

Glad you're ok. Wish I was there to see it. Sorry we didn't get to run much at LAPS but you never came over to hook up with me.
    I would love to...that or an SV! If you stopped passing me and actually hung around, we would have ridden together ya old bastid!

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    oh that was you on the ape in T6 on monday? haha didn't even realize.... I think I was the first instructor to stop and help ya out (only the blue R6).
    Ah ha, I was a little rattled, and pissed, thanks for the help Ryan. It was still a good day.

Everybody here should know I'm joking...I'm sure the bill for Freaks day will be even bigger... sometimes sitting on the sidelines is, well, cheaper. Not to mention easier on friendships! Not that I ever chose that route.
    No worries Paul, I'm pickin up what you're pittin down. I paid for the TD, so I was in, regardless...and yea, the bill for the Titty + the Priler repairs will be hefty...however, the guy knew who he was handing his bike over to, and he has been wicked chill about it. No worries!

Last edited by MotoFreak; 10-02-09 at 01:07 PM.
    Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-

Silver Bullet Commuter fjrrider RI's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Freak & Troubles Track Day Re-Cap!

Have you considered stunt riding? Some freeken story

Yamaha lover

Man look at all the fun and excitement I miss by not being at the track.

Freak ain't a bad nickname.

Quote Originally Posted by MotoFreak View Post
    however, the guy knew who he was handing his bike over to, and he has been wicked chill about it. No worries!

and he had crashed it the day before.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Your story is indeed a bizarre and sad one. I saw you tumbling into the T3 tires and blue plastic everywhere. I was very glad you were ok and that you recovered so well with the help of a Hawk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast