Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

No-frillsTrack day opinions

Re: No-frillsTrack day opinions

I don't really care about stunt shows, raffles, etc...Lunch is nice, but not necessary, keep the cost down. The priority of most trackday riders ( not racers ) I think is lots of tracktime in a safe controled environment with passing rules and such. For example, TTD in May, "special" price event with 2 groups running sessions of 30 min really worked out well, IMO.
    FIY, this was experienced riders td ( no first timers ) , no classroom, limited instruction, no lunch event. Maybe something like this would work well in other tracks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    ZX10R
    Ned

Quote Originally Posted by nerijusj View Post
    I don't really care about stunt shows, raffles, etc...Lunch is nice, but not necessary, keep the cost down. The priority of most trackday riders ( not racers ) I think is lots of tracktime in a safe controled environment with passing rules and such. For example, TTD in May, "special" price event with 2 groups running sessions of 30 min really worked out well, IMO.
    I imagine that given the lst minute pick up of the day Tony may have payed less then the normal track rental price which was why he could swing less riders at a lower fee. Normally probably not possible with the standard track rental fees??

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Track time @ 20 min. Many people are still continuing to find themselves on the track and bike that they exert themselves at around the 20 min mark. Within the 20-30 mark exhaustion begins to settle in and people begin to tone it down. Bring it in at 20; freshen yourself up and play hard in 40.

No frills. Seat time and riding the wheels off the bike @ a low cost.
    Low cost.
    Tire deals when attending your Track Day to get people on your product.
    Surprised on one mentioned this one yet even though everyone tries to figure it out. OR maybe I glazed passed it. I don't care for them. Lap timers.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Thanks Gino,

Hmmm, tire deal. Might be possible.

Tire discount coupon for every trackday participant?

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    Lap timers.
    Id love to know my lap timers, Id STRONGLY prefer to be able to tell my insurance agent it was a non-competitive non-timed event when I wad my street bike up somewhere

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Moto View Post
    Thanks Gino,

Hmmm, tire deal. Might be possible.

Tire discount coupon for every trackday participant?
    There ya go!

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
    Another thing is if you are going to cater this towards fast guys and racers, you could try to schedule it before a race weekend and relatively close to it time-wise.
    Id prefer to not be too close to a race weekend especially if its at a course other then NHMS. Its just a mess getting everything ready for one track and then heading for another right after. Not to mention Im usually pretty beat after a race weekend. Last time I did the 4 day thing I ended up leaving at about noon time. Partly because I got a nasty cold over the weekend but also because I was beat.

I can deal with no food just fine.

If there are passing rules Id like them to be very limited in the faster group. Penguin has made the no passing rules work just fine. I dont see it being all that much of a problem if youre going to be targeting the more advanced trackday rider and people that race. I dont typically have a problem turning it down for a trackday. You dont win anything so no point in taking a huge risk and stuffing someone. Id like to think most of the other riders think that way as well.

Garages are nice. I dont mind pitting outside but I dont want to be stuck in the rain without a roof. Also its good to have power.

20min sessions are perfect. The longest race we run right now is 20min. Well its supposed to be 20min By the end of 20min Im usually a bit tired and the 40min rest is nice.

James

Advanced/Race Group ... basically open race practice

Safe passes, but no "rules".

20 minute sessions, 3 groups.

NHMS events, can you run them before a race weekend? Like the thursday the week before a race weekend? This way we can stay sharp especially when we have the 5 week breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by eboos View Post
    NHMS events, can you run them before a race weekend? Like the thursday the week before a race weekend? This way we can stay sharp especially when we have the 5 week breaks.
    there is an open testing afternoon every Thursday before a race weekend. $100 for licensed racers, 20min sessions, two groups, race practice rules.

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    Id prefer to not be too close to a race weekend especially if its at a course other then NHMS. Its just a mess getting everything ready for one track and then heading for another right after.
    I only meant for NH... it would give you more practice time, and you wouldn't lose the benefit of the practice time if it was relatively close to the race weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by eboos View Post
    I'm pretty sure the thursday before every race weekend already has the open practice deal scheduled
    Edit: ryan beat me to it

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

If what is being discussed here is cost, then I'll point out what adds cost and what doesn't.

Lunch- extra cost. Also, gatorade/water costs a bit extra on top of that.

Instruction- extra cost. FYI, at TTD events classroom participation is voluntary, except for new rider's where the first couple of sessions are considered mandatory.

One ambulance- no extra cost
    Second ambulance- extra cost

Passing rules- no extra cost

Raffles- no extra cost unless you choose to buy tickets.

Photographer- no extra cost, unless you choose to buy.

Last edited by Ken C; 11-04-08 at 11:16 AM.

there is an open testing afternoon every Thursday before a race weekend. $100 for licensed racers, 20min sessions, two groups, race practice rules.
    I knew that was going to be misunderstood. I ment the week before.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    As a racer, this is the best track time for my money. Its a race mentality environment with plenty of track time for short dough.

Quote Originally Posted by s a x m a n View Post
    As a racer, this is the best track time for my money. Its a race mentality environment with plenty of track time for short dough.
    no kidding! if there was a way to organize a trackday like the Thursday practices that would be the ultimate no frills trackday. However for those days a license is required, so you know everyone is at least aware of race environment rules and stuff. I would think that would be much more difficult to regulate if no license was required.

Thursday practice can be done with a penguin certificate. It almost led me to some serious problems the one thursday practice Ive done.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    no kidding! if there was a way to organize a trackday like the Thursday practices that would be the ultimate no frills trackday.
    That seems basically to be what many people here are suggesting... basically a thursday practice that runs the entire day instead of 1-5, and has a little group structure instead of the open track.

Basically you will have 4 groups: quick trackday riders, novices, ams, experts.

If you run 2 groups you could do TD/NV and then AM/EX and if you run three you could run TD, NV, and AM/EX.

Something like that.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

If you run 2 groups you could do TD/NV and then AM/EX and if you run three you could run TD, NV, and AM/EX.

Something like that.
    Holy closing speeds, I aint taking my ex and probably not my tard out there with them fast dudes on 600s and shit

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Holy closing speeds, I aint taking my ex and probably not my tard out there with them fast dudes on 600s and shit
    That will happen at any trackday... just have to deal with it.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

I think racers have plenty of cheap aggressive track time, and that style of riding is best left there. Especially if this are NHMS events.

Now if we are talking events to less frequently visited tracks, I think fair and enforced rules have there place.

I would expect BM not to be afraid to send a problematic rider home early.

So I guess what I would like to see at a no frills trackday, are the same standard frills that have made other trackdays a great success. Quality people, be it instructors (maybe commissioned per session by attendees?) or control riders to keep people in check. Safety first, egos and wallets last.

Adobe Certified Expert, Photoshop CS4
    Adobe Certified Professional, Flash CS4

That will happen at any trackday... just have to deal with it.
    Track day fast guys are less than AM/EX racers.
    Fact of matter.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Since the TTD name has been thrown around a bit, I want to clarify that this is NOT our forum area or thread.

However, as mentioned last year ... TTD is toying with No Frills type of days for 2009.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Suggestions - lap timers allowed/rented

I like open track because I've seen people rush out to get into their designated time with cold tires or just after tweaking the bike, because they don't want to miss that window. It's also going to help the guys who are making several bike adjustments throughout the day who need to pop on and off the track. A challenge would be figuring out how many people needed to be on the track at once to get enough time for everyone - if there's 5 guys who just want to ride around all day, the other 60 guys are rotating through 15 spots (just using your 20/ 60-70 numbers).

If open group - maybe give people scrimmage-type vests to throw on to identify them by lap times (slower guys have one color, faster guys have another color). I think this would make it much easier to spot out traffic that you'll be coming up on faster/slower (aids depth perception in gauging how fast you'll come up on somebody). I'd also be more willing to give room/courtesy to riders in a slower more conservative group.

If in groups - I think 2 groups, 20 min rotations. if 3 groups is enough with first timers, 2 groups should be enough with experienced track guys.

lap timers - could maybe get a promo going with a lap timer manufacturer or buy some of the $0.40 rfid lap timers so that riders could track their progress.

tires - i think the track day would be most successful on a toyo spec tire.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    Suggestions - lap timers allowed/rented
    There is more chance of Boston Moto running a Toyo spec tire trackday than there is of us allowing timing of any sort.

Quote Originally Posted by 35racer View Post
    EXACTLY!

Hint... shut up about laptimers.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast