Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

helmet age-out?

Re: helmet age-out?

Quote Originally Posted by PainfullySlow View Post
    The new Bell lids are freaking awesome though.
    The custom-fit ones, or something else?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    The custom-fit ones, or something else?
    The new models. The entire Star lineup is new for 2016 although so far only the base "Star" is available and is what I will be wearing for the start of the 2016 season. Their upper-tier models; Race Star and Pro Star will be available later in the year. Some of the tech in these things is amazing. I can give you the entire schpiel if you like but they are worth a look...first helmet with an interior that is designed to limit concussions. Pretty big stuff.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    This is troubling. I bought an Arai in 2009, it has seen maybe 2000 miles. Never crashed, dropped or bumped. Not left out in the sun, or exposed to freezing temps. Someone please give me a verifiable scientific reason why this helmet needs to be replaced??
    It's the foam core that saves your brain. the outer shell is to hold everything together while the foam decelerates you head on impact to a safe(r) level of g force.
    The foam is painted black on the inside, if you can see fine spider cracks of white - the foam has been deformed/impacted. if you see these cracks replace the helmet immediately.

On aging helmets
    The foam has a finite life (dries out crumbles with age..) even if you never wear it.
    5 years max gives a safety factor on the foam layer not disintegrating to the point of not doing its job.

Graham
    ps oil, fumes, & sweat can also degrade the foam layer. And Never put you helmet on mirrors etc. that support the helmet from the inside.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by xsiliconkid; 04-22-16 at 08:19 AM.
    Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by PainfullySlow View Post
    ..so far only the base "Star" is available..
    Well, that stinks. IIRC that is the only one of the lineup that doesn't have their fancy 3d, multi layer liner.

Quote Originally Posted by xsiliconkid View Post
    It's the foam core that saves your brain. the outer shell is to hold everything together while the foam decelerates you head on impact to a safe(r) level of g force.
    The foam is painted black on the inside, if you can see fine spider cracks of white - the foam has been deformed/impacted. if you see these cracks replace the helmet immediately.

On aging helmets
    The foam has a finite life (dries out crumbles with age..) even if you never wear it.
    5 years max gives a safety factor on the foam layer not disintegrating to the point of not doing its job.

Graham
    ps oil, fumes, & sweat can also degrade the foam layer. And Never put you helmet on mirrors etc. that support the helmet from the inside.
    Thank you. Time for a new helmet..

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Well, that stinks. IIRC that is the only one of the lineup that doesn't have their fancy 3d, multi layer liner.
    Yeah. I pre ordered a Race Star at the IMS thinking it was going to be here next month, then Bell announced on their Facebook page that its looking more like August.

My helmet was aging out so I ended up grabbing one of those left over RS-1's from sportbiketrackgear.com. They fit my head perfectly and I needed a new street lid anyway. So it will be doing double duty until I get the new one.

LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BMMCBR View Post
    Yeah. I pre ordered a Race Star at the IMS thinking it was going to be here next month, then Bell announced on their Facebook page that its looking more like August.

My helmet was aging out so I ended up grabbing one of those left over RS-1's from sportbiketrackgear.com. They fit my head perfectly and I needed a new street lid anyway. So it will be doing double duty until I get the new one.
    Yeah, I am pretty bummed about it. I am supposed to be getting a Pro Star but at this point I will not have use of it until the 2017 riding season.

Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    My track helmet has been worn maybe 10 times, but was manufactured in 2009. Do I need a new one for a Penguin day or not?

Also, f- Arai for discontinuing the Profile and not making something else with the same head shape (afaik).
    Suomy Apex is same shape as Profile, nice friendly fyi.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12