Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NEED HELP or no more track for me.

NEED HELP or no more track for me.

so... i crashed pretty bad coming up the hill between 3 and 4 at loudon. 2 broken ribs, blood in urine, and broken knee cap. this is my second 'broken bones crash on a track in 4 years. anyways my wife is really pissed off and is demanding i quit track riding.

so... i need some help from people that might actually have data.

does anyone have any factual statistics on deaths from track days (NOT racing)? if such data isn't available, has anyone heard of a death at a track day (i haven't nor has tony of ttd)?

finally, does anyone have any thoughts on how to turn an emotional fight into a rational (fact based) discussion?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: NEED HELP or no more track for me.

"You're not the boss of me."

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Have you considered a divorce?

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

I was in a similar situation back in June. I crashed in Thompson and broke collar bone, got rushed to hospital via ambulance and wife got the dreaded "call from hospital" about your husband. It was my 50th track day and first ever crash. I knew a crash was bound to happen but did not think I would get as hurt as I did. Wife was pissed I downplayed the crash to her and my friends and family. Although Im fully healed she still gives me a hard time (although she did offer to buy me a track day for my b-day back in August). Are you racing or doing track days? I assume you high sided going from 3-4?

You need to slow down and get some track days under your belt without a crash. A crash in 3-4 tells me you are too aggressive with the throttle. Go easy on the gas (ratchet the throttle not yank on it). You should encourage her to attend a track day with you so she sees what they are all about.

The only death I am aware of was up in Montreal a few years back. A guy got run over and died.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Lxpony; 10-09-15 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bartman314 View Post

finally, does anyone have any thoughts on how to turn an emotional fight into a rational (fact based) discussion?
    with a woman? no

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

sorry, I could not help it.

In the 5 years I've been racing with LRRS I only know of 1 person who was killed on the track.

Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

thanks for fast responses so far. i certainly understand the "you're not the boss of me," but would prefer a more engaging approach - at least to start.

the crash itself was bizarre. i ended up inadvertently in a wheelie and lost control. obviously it was my fault and my hypothesis is that my weight was too far back on the bike and i applied too much throttle too quickly. a flag worker told me afterwards that in 15 years of working he's never seen a crash like that. and as to experience level, i have about 50 track days as well (over the 4 years).

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for fast responses so far. i certainly understand the "you're not the boss of me," but would prefer a more engaging approach - at least to start.

the crash itself was bizarre. i ended up inadvertently in a wheelie and lost control. obviously it was my fault and my hypothesis is that my weight was too far back on the bike and i applied too much throttle too quickly. a flag worker told me afterwards that in 15 years of working he's never seen a crash like that. and as to experience level, i have about 50 track days as well (over the 4 years).

tim, i get your first point all too well. the person who died was a racer, right (not a track day guy)?

Yes, he was a racer.

5 years racing 10 years at the track total.

Last edited by timmyho414; 10-09-15 at 12:14 PM.
    Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

i know of 3 deaths racing in my 5 years. one at Daytona, one at NHMS, and one at NJMP.
    the Daytona one was a TD instructor who was hit from a passing rider at high speeds.
    the other two were involved during a race

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    "You're not the boss of me."
    Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Have you considered a divorce?
    Do what the fuck you want, to hell with what someone else tells you that you're "not allowed" to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lxpony View Post

The only death I am aware of was up in Montreal a few years back. A guy got run over and died.
    It was at 'Bogie, and a good friend was involved in that crash. The guy that died, was dead instantly. My buddy spent the better part of the next 3 weeks stuck in a Canadian hospital.

The moral of that story is that you really really don't want to fuck yourself up outside of the U.S. Insurance is a bitch.

And to the O.P.... if you fucked yourself up that bad at a track day... maybe you should take up golf.

If your wife feels the way that she seems to, I don't think statistics will help. You need to talk to her about what you want to do and what hobbies/pursuits you value.

Lifer

Try a slower bike maybe to calm her? Im switching from my 750 this year to a 250 or 300 next year to get her to stop worrying so much. She would be much happier if I didn't see triple digit speeds as often as I do.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

i was gonna ask what kind of bike you were on. you know what you dont see highsiding in 4? SVs.
    my wife has no problem with the track (racing or not). i have mentioned to her before that i thought about getting a 600. thats the only protest ive ever gotten from her. she likes that im on a "slower" bike. she has no illusions that it is by any means "safer" but she likes that im not doing speeds approaching plaid and im at a much lower risk of high siding.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    If your wife feels the way that she seems to, I don't think statistics will help. You need to talk to her about what you want to do and what hobbies/pursuits you value.
    I think this is the way to go. You can't reason with her while she's still emotional about it, so heal up, take the winter off and let her come off the shock.

In the spring, slowly start putting the bike back together and if she brings it up and it's still something you need to do for yourself, then that's the time to talk about it.

Good luck, speedy and full recovery.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    i was gonna ask what kind of bike you were on. you know what you dont see highsiding in 4? SVs.
    my wife has no problem with the track (racing or not). i have mentioned to her before that i thought about getting a 600. thats the only protest ive ever gotten from her. she likes that im on a "slower" bike. she has no illusions that it is by any means "safer" but she likes that im not doing speeds approaching plaid and im at a much lower risk of high siding.
    Brian- I finally fucked up that beautiful 2001 GSXR750 of mine that you oogled many years ago at a Bomo track day. High sided it on T1 in Thompson. I agree that had I been on a slower bike it would have been less likely to happen

Motorcycle riding is dangerous no matter which way you slice it. Street or Track. My lady hates when I go to the track, she hates when I go for a ride on the street. But she would never try to stop me from doing either.

If you're passionate about something your wife should support you.. and she will, just not right now. You're fresh off a nasty crash and she's extra emotional. (I know.. when aren't they)

It'll be easier to fight your battle when your all healed up. In the spring it probably wont even be an argument.

I splattered my foot a few years ago at a track day. A lot of minor mistakes came together at once and away I went. My wife was more understanding than my parents. Flash forward just less than one year and she slipped on the lawn while walking the dog and broke her tibia and fibula. She has more metal in her than I do. Moral of the story, you can hurt yourself on the track or walking the dog on a frosty morning.

Do you ride on the street? What would have happened if you had that accident on the street? Would you have been suited up in all the appropriate gear? Was there oncoming traffic? How about guardrails? How long would it have taken for emergency services to respond? That's about the best argument that I can think of but it's still not purely rational. She's reacting emotionally (understandably) and rational arguments probably won't help.

The instructor in Daytona is the only fatality that I'm aware of at track days and that one hit home for me.

John

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Have there been two fatalities at NJMP? I know that NESBA's regional director died there during a trackday in 2011, but I hadn't heard of a racer dying there.

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Lifer

Divorce worked for me. Been riding (and racing) argument free for almost 2 years now.

Fer serious though, best of luck.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

There was a death in Jersey last round. It was on Friday practice in the novice/int group, so pretty sure he wasn't a racer.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

I am sorry to hear that your spouse put you in the position .
    I am in the enviable position of having a spouse that works hard to help me get back on the track after an injury..

Those ladies are out there. But very very scarce.. Best to find someone from a racing family....

There is hope.
    Good luck.

My wife made a joking comment on the lines of 'aren't you glad I'm not like that?' talking about a friends wife.

I chuckled and said something like 'we wouldn't have latest long if you were.'

seriously though, racing is my therapy and my wife knows it and supports it based on that idea. data wise its safer then the street by a long shot.

Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

First off, sorry you crashed that hard. I've only had a few get-offs at track days and they've all been of the non-injury variety. Because I ride like my gramma. :/

The problem with trying to mount a fact-based argument with your wife right now is that whatever the overall statistics, the facts she's most focused on are that a) death or serious injury are among the possibilities, and b) you personally just fucked yourself up on a motorcycle at the track, despite having a lot of experience.

Anyway, what svracer said. SV's love Loudon / harder to highside / cheaper on tires / etc.

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast