Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Heroic vs Vanson

Heroic vs Vanson

Compare the two.
    Heroic is based in NY, so don't go with the "support your local vendors" line.

I know Heroic is much more expensive, but was very impressed with the fit and features of their suits this weekend when I was at NJMP.

They can do the double zipper chest, sting ray sliders for the forearms and butt area, and tank grip pads on the inside knee area. Their suits are kangaroo leather which are much lighter than Vanson.

I mostly see Vanson suits at NHMS, but the majority I saw at NJMP was Heroic.
    Only LRRS rider I know that wears Heroic is Alex G #33.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Re: Heroic vs Vanson

Heroic is out of Pakistan, FYI. The suit design and marketing is in the US, but the assembly is not. Vanson has also shifted some production overseas but I believe the race suits, at least the customs anyways are still done in Mass. If looking at Heroic I'd say Ballistic should be considered as well as they're the same story as Heroic, US design, Pakistan production.

Pakistan? I know their materials are imported from outside the US.

http://www.heroicracing.com/Articles.asp?ID=150

EX 105

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Pakistan? I know their materials are imported from outside the US.

http://www.heroicracing.com/Articles.asp?ID=150
    From the horse's mouth: http://forums.13x.com/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=25

Looks like Pilot is in the same category too, forgot about them.

I have to say I love the look of the Heroic Line. I know one can't judge by looks, but they do look well built.

I just noticed the HEROIC SP-R glove from their site. Looks like a lot of glove for $120.

That post sound like some of the stuff Todd was saying to me over the weekend. He had an old school seeing machine at the track and was doing on track repairs.

Any other riders use their suits?

EX 105

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

One of my teammates had a HORRIFIC time getting product from Heroic. I dont know if this was just an oddball exception but it certainly bears investigating before a purchase.

I too am in the market for a new suit and admittedly potential sponsorship comes into play and will influence my decision.

But, to compare Heroic to Vanson I cannot personally say as I havent worn either. My observations are thus:

Vansons are built like a truck. Generally most people that have their suits love them and have owned them since the Reagan administration. That said, their suits always look bulky and cumbersome to me..and their design work also seems to be stuck somewhere in the 60s. They remind me of the old "detroit iron" mentality. Big, heavy, thick, durable.

If I were to choose between the two I think at this point I would go with Heroic but due to the issues my teammate had I think I will be looking at Pilot first.

Ya, but when I hit the pavement, I want to be in a truck! I do think that the mass of the vansons will absorb more force than a lightweight kangaroo suit... I know armor comes into play, but the stiffness of the suit covers your whole body...

I have tried on a kangaroo suit. While I was interested in how lightweight it was, I felt naked and less protected. Haven't tested my theory yet tho...

Paul_E_D

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

I have unfortunately tested the durability of the "modern" suits and come out without a scratch in every off. I need to be able to move, first and foremost. Again using a car analogy it is like comparing a hit in a 1970 pickup truck to a modern car. The modern crumple zone methodology actually transmits less kinetic energy to the driver...but typically the car is totaled where the pickup would probably keep going.

With that in mind I would rather have the mobility and lack of weight and replace it every couple of years than a suit that I can wear for 20 but weighs me down.

The fact that there are so many rabidly loyal Vanson owners is testament to their durability and protection, there is no denying that it is a quality product that offers more protection than NATO. If you can get past the design and encumbering issues then the choice is simple. For me, not so much.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Having now work both off-the-rack Teknic suits (2) and now a Vanson, I can clearly say that I love the Vanson as compared to the Teknic.

The Vanson doesn't feel any more bulky when it's on me.

I really don't see Michael's "old school" look in any of the newer Vanson suits. I think they're quite stylish, as long as they don't do a fluorescent color scheme.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Quote Originally Posted by PainfullySlow View Post
    I have unfortunately tested the durability of the "modern" suits and come out without a scratch in every off. I need to be able to move, first and foremost. Again using a car analogy it is like comparing a hit in a 1970 pickup truck to a modern car. The modern crumple zone methodology actually transmits less kinetic energy to the driver...but typically the car is totaled where the pickup would probably keep going.

With that in mind I would rather have the mobility and lack of weight and replace it every couple of years than a suit that I can wear for 20 but weighs me down.

The fact that there are so many rabidly loyal Vanson owners is testament to their durability and protection, there is no denying that it is a quality product that offers more protection than NATO. If you can get past the design and encumbering issues then the choice is simple. For me, not so much.
    a good suit will last more than just a couple years.

I had this debate with myself a few years ago. Vanson who is about 45 minutes from me but is heavy, takes a ton of break in, uses metal zippers which I don't like and the styles suck big time for the most part (Wood's and Greenwood's and a few other's suits do look nice though). I went with Pilot after reading some forum discussion John Bickle was having regarding a new Canadian company that claims they are the company in Pakistan that makes a lot of suits for many different brands. Bickle doesn't make leathers, just repairs them and sells some other products. He rated Pilot second best in the world behind Spkye (from the UK). I'm not sure when Heroic started but I read this stuff a few years ago and I don't recall him saying anything about them. The other important factor to me was Pilot makes a ton of suits for the USGPRU kids so I figured they know how to make a suit for small people like me (I know others shouldn't have any problem making small custom suits but that was still in my mind) The Heroic stuff does seem nice. I love my Pilot though. been down a couple times in it. only wore a hole through the shoulder after hitting the ground and sliding on it twice. There was also a weird cut in the hip. They said the suit was structurally perfect still so they sent it to another company that does the repairs for them. So I'm getting the hard armor from the upper model suit added plus the repairs. The Custom suits and repairs are all being done in CA.

if I was going to buy another suit it would be another Pilot or Heroic. and full custom all the way, no off the rack will ever compare.

Last edited by CBR929RE; 05-07-12 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    Vanson who is about 45 minutes from me but is heavy, takes a ton of break in
    Not true for either. My Vanson felt great the first time I left hot pit. It felt like it was a part of me. I cannot say the same for either Teknic suit I have used. Those took quite a while to fee "natural".

|

Todd showed me an AMA suit that's been crashed 19 times and it still looks great. Those sting ray sliders really help.

EX 105

Jim McClure wore Vanson leathers while racing and came off his top fuel nitro harley at 200 mph...none of the leather stiching or leathers failed at impact or during the slide. If that isnt proof as to their quality, you will never be satisfied with anything. Vanson only produces one level of leathers for racing, the same ones Jim wore are what the average person can pick up at their store in Fall River, MA.

from Heroic's site

Their $1800 custom Podium suit
    Designed to slide 20 meters on asphalt before thread fatigue
    Crash rated at 120-140 mph

Thanks...but I will stick with one that has been tested at 200 mph and slid over 100 yards...

Last edited by 9secondsflat; 05-07-12 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Snowman View Post
    Not true for either. My Vanson felt great the first time I left hot pit. It felt like it was a part of me. I cannot say the same for either Teknic suit I have used. Those took quite a while to fee "natural".
    so you're trying to tell me 1.5mm leather is lighter than the 1.2-1.4 most companies use?

CEO said at the first round his was really stiff.

my Pilot suit was already broken in and super comfortable right when I took it out of the box and put it on for the first time.

and don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Vanson stuff is bad. its top quality protection without a doubt.

TimmyHo said his new suit was super stiff too.
    The kangaroo Heroic I tried on required no break in.
    It seems that only the Loudon riders are dead set on Vanson.

EX 105

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    so you're trying to tell me 1.5mm leather is lighter than the 1.2-1.4 most companies use?

CEO said at the first round his was really stiff.

my Pilot suit was already broken in and super comfortable right when I took it out of the box and put it on for the first time.

and don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Vanson stuff is bad. its top quality protection without a doubt.
    Compared to the Teknic suits I've had thew Vanson is slightly heavier. This means maybe 2 pounds, which is nothing.

|

and by the sounds of it Jim wants every bell and whistle known to man. guess he wants to feel like a GP racer.

Jim check out AGV's site. not sure if you're open to them but they have a cool system for building your custom suit and also offer kangaroo.

Thanks for our input chuck, but I'm looking for comparison with Vanson and Heroic.

EX 105

I personally dont care about cowhide or kangaroo. I absolutely have to get a double zipper for the chest.
    I just liked the features and feel of the Heroic vs what Vanson had to offer.
    I just feel that Vanson is more of a bandwagon suit for this area, as I don't see them anywhere outside of NHMS.

EX 105

Part of why you don't see Vanson everywhere is Vanson's stance of sponsorship I believe. Other brands will pay for top level riders to sport their logo, AFAIK Vanson won't.

I have not tested a suit with kangaroo and/or stingray but I have tested gloves and found these materials to be incredibly abrasion-resistant as well as light in weight when compared to cow hide. Along with the lighter weight, the materials seem to breathe better than cow hide.

How thick is the kangaroo leather? Why would you not want metal zippers?

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Be Squid, Be Proud bostongixxer's Avatar

Jim...Joel got a first generation Heroic a couple of years ago. Stitching is breaking down in spots...granted, Joel has gone down a couple of times, and been ok...but the stitching was in spots that should never have been affected by a crash. I just noticed it a couple weeks ago at VIR. This was when Heroic was making suits in the US. They are now making out of Pakistan, which would give me a little pause (at least when compared to Vanson). I can't speak for Vanson, and only know what others have said (solid gear).

...and you'll never use all that leather

2020 KTM SMC R
    2006 GSXR-600 Race (LRRS #199)
    NO LIMIT

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    I have not tested a suit with kangaroo and/or stingray but I have tested gloves and found these materials to be incredibly abrasion-resistant as well as light in weight when compared to cow hide. Along with the lighter weight, the materials seem to breathe better than cow hide.
    Plus it's a lot more badass to be walking around wearing a kangaroo....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast