Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Best Lines at NHMS

Lifer

Re: Best Lines at NHMS

Quote Originally Posted by Woodcraft View Post
    In the end, understanding the "where" is not the important part, it's understanding the "why". Once you know what it is you are trying to accomplish, the lines almost paint themselves and feedback from the bike is much more easily understood.
    Very interesting angle. I had not thought of it that way...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Very interesting angle. I had not thought of it that way...
    Eric is also an engineer. You would do well in his penguin advanced school, Colin.

Tony, I wasn't saying that the "streetish" line is a bad thing. I understand its taught for comfort to those new to the track, or that kind of riding, period. We use it too, in the nov/intro groups.
    I'm not gonna start a battle, I think it's mostly been covered here.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I love when Eric states things like "My opinion..." He's obviously not experienced enough to have valid input on the subject of correct lines at NHMS .

Yes, why is the key to getting the lines correct, but as street riders, we have a tendency to want to "smooth" everything out and the why is often lost. It isn't until we are encouraged to use some other where that we can start to feel the why part of it.

The "wide line" around 9 is a good example of the street rider doing the wrong (but natural) thing. So is the tip in to 6, where the street rider wants to treat this as a sweeper, which isn't the right approach, but until you've been told it isn't the right where, you have no idea why it isn't the right where (and this is even more effective if you get to chase someone down who is treating it like a sweeper for contrast) .

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Eric is also an engineer. You would do well in his penguin advanced school, Colin.
    I'll thirty-three-billion this. This is a little unfair to the other track day org as I haven't done a track walk with them to compare, but the Penguin Advanced walk is by far where I've learned the most and found the most time. Combine that with force diagrams in the class room, corner by corner GPS data comparisons, etc and the engineer in me gets giddy thinking about the next school.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

You would do well in his penguin advanced school, Colin.

I couldn't even survive their "track experience" without trying to use the back straight as an asphalt slip'n'slide!!

Wait.. force diagrams? You had me at diagrams..

I seriously need to try one of those Qstarz things. I bet I would completely geek out with dater like that in hand. I'd probably have bought a used set from Lou by now if I hadn't gone belly surfing. I just spent that money and then some on a new helmet as I am not 100% confident my lid will pass tech if I do crap like that anymore.

Penguin track walks are no joke though. I was glassy eyed and had a hand cramp from writing notes by the time we got to the top of T4. Big thanks to Clayton for shoving a notebook in my face and saying "take notes ya dummy!"

Tony, I wasn't saying that the "streetish" line is a bad thing. I understand its taught for comfort to those new to the track, or that kind of riding, period. We use it too, in the nov/intro groups.
    I'm not gonna start a battle, I think it's mostly been covered here.
    A little confusion has crept into the discussion. TTD only teaches one line from day one.- the right line for NHMS.

Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

Tony, I wasn't saying that the "streetish" line is a bad thing. I understand its taught for comfort to those new to the track, or that kind of riding, period. We use it too, in the nov/intro groups. I'm not gonna start a battle, I think it's mostly been covered here.
    Yeah, I think you misunderstood why and what I was saying about the street line. I was not referring to anything you said or do. I was merely pointing out that a street line could be different than a racing line and why (because you need to see around corners sometimes before committing).

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12