Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for a SUMO for track days

Looking for a SUMO for track days

I'm looking for all supermoto options. I used to own a drz400sm. I know that I don't want one again. They are underpowered and undersuspended. So that brings me to my current dilemma. Where should I start?

I'd like the bike to be dual purpose for short road trips and track days. But a track only bike is not out of the question. I like two strokes like the KTM 300 and the cr500 but I can't find much info on how well they hold up on a road coarse. Aslo I've found some 530 exc's and a few older yamaha wr450 pre built sumo's. I need reliable. I want something that can take a lowside and still ride the rest of the day and something that won't blow on the front strait and 120mph. I would like to enter a novice race so something I could run in a class would be preferred. I'm partial to KTM.

Buy a 450 mxer and build a sumo? Which brand? Can it be a two stroke? How reliable are they? How fast are they? Should I buy a built mx sumo?

Buy a factory sumo. I've heard good and bad things about the Big bore bikes. I'm looking for a track bike that I can ride on the street not the otherway around. I need it to be reliable. I don't know where to start.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by maxim_X; 11-12-11 at 07:16 PM.
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Re: Looking for a SUMO for track days

Doc's got a CR450X that works great as a TD mount that he's trying to move. Should be lighter than the DRZ, dunno how it compares HP wise though.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Good luck finding a sumo that will do 120.

A CRF450 is considerably more powerful than a drz400. Is it listed on here? I haven't noticed it.

120 was just a guesstimate. I figured faster than 100. Fill me in please.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Top end on a motard is going to be about 105, maaaaaybe 110. They don't have the aerodynamics to go much quicker. As for reliability, good luck. Supermotos are fun as hell and hold up better than anything else in a crash, but the motors do NOT stand up to NHMS very well. Yes, a stock motor ridden conservatively should make it through a track day or two fine, but expect to put a new piston in every couple track days, change oil after every track day, and do more expensive things (crank, valves, etc) once a year or so (note: that's a fairly conservative guess on changing parts, but you don't want to find out the hard way just how long they last; when a motard blows up, it usually makes a mess out of the inside of the motor).

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

I have a 2007 YZ450F for ya.

Well LRRS, that's eye opening. I was under the impression that I could set up a motor this winter and run it all season without worry. But if i will be running at the edge all the time no matter the bike I am going to rethink the whole idea. I really want a bike that I can count on through a crash, through a track day and possibly through a race weekend. I was so disappointed getting cutoff 10 minutes into a track day twice this year because of mechanical failure. Maybe I'll just get an sv like everyone else.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

I don't think turds are as bad as Brian really makes em out to be. Last year I got 3 weekends and 3 td's out of my motor before the season was over. I pulled the motor to see how she looked (bike was used, I had no idea of the history) and it needed a bunch of work. This season I got 5 td's, a penguin practice (on that 110deg day) and 3 weekends before that bearing went.
    I finished the season, 3 more weekends, on the second build, and don't anticipate doing too much this winter. I'm convinced pushing in that heat really killed that bearing, but who knows. If you're planning on racing it, it really depends how fast you're running. The faster you go, the more work it'll need.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    Maybe I'll just get an sv like everyone else.
    or a newer 600?? i want a motard for the street though, iv heard they are too expensive to take to the track often.. 0 personal experience though

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    or a newer 600?? i want a motard for the street though, iv heard they are too expensive to take to the track often.. 0 personal experience though
    Well, thanks for your contribution here.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    I want a motard to be more comfortable and more crash worthy than what I have now. I know an SV is a bit more roomy than my current ride and they have tons of aftermarket support. That's why I think one may be an option.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Why not build a supermoto bike and race supermoto tracks?

My motard went a full season with no engine troubles.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    My motard went a full season with no engine troubles.
    That's cause....oh nevermind.

As for the motard, after racing one for a full season it is way better to do preventative maintenance as Brian said rather than have them blow. Most people at the track have either a KTM, CRF, or YZF. The KTM makes the most power in general (in reference to the 560SMR), the CRF makes good power when modded but the real benefit is that parts are CHEAP, and the YZF makes less power in general and is more reliable. That is the word from the street.

Oh and it is expensive as shit to build a bike from scratch. I probably had close to 9 grand into my sumo.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Well LRRS, that's eye opening. I was under the impression that I could set up a motor this winter and run it all season without worry. But if i will be running at the edge all the time no matter the bike I am going to rethink the whole idea. I really want a bike that I can count on through a crash, through a track day and possibly through a race weekend. I was so disappointed getting cutoff 10 minutes into a track day twice this year because of mechanical failure. Maybe I'll just get an sv like everyone else.
    SV's are fun, reliable and a great class. Plus I have one for sale...

Anyone have frat hand experience with the SXV? I've read very mixed reviews.

I've found 3 bikes now in contention. A YZF sumo, If reliable is their thing I may go for that. A KTM 520 exc. And an aprilia svx. The aprilia seems perfect but I read horror stories about them blowing up.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

The 08+ apes are rumored to be better.
    I stopped and looked at that 520 real quickly. You'd end up with the best of both worlds, dirt and street. It's said to be a single owner bike, which is cool, and I doubt it's been ridden as hard as you're going to ride it. Still, it's hard to predict how long it'll last.
    I have zero experience with the yzf. One thing you can count on is the parts will be cheaper than orange.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Anyone have frat hand experience with the SXV? I've read very mixed reviews.

I've found 3 bikes now in contention. A YZF sumo, If reliable is their thing I may go for that. A KTM 520 exc. And an aprilia svx. The aprilia seems perfect but I read horror stories about them blowing up.
    What size ape? The 450 seemed to be more reliable than the 550. People tried racing the 550 and they just constantly blew up. The 450 held together pretty well that Trevor was racing this year.

And finding a YZF sumo that is titled will be a little more tricky than finding an orange titled sumo as well. Just another thing to consider.

It's an 07 450. I know they have a case seal issue. I've heard the 550s were worse a well. The yzf I found has a title. It's a hike to go see though. If I get some time off i want to check it out before I jump on anything else.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Again, with whatever you get make sure you stay on top of maintenance. I can't stress that enough. Change the oil very often because motards have such little oil capacity. And get into a routine of checking your valve lash and crank play.

I've got a built kx450 for sale. But like others have said, a 450 single cylinder putting out 50-65hp isn't gonna last very long being winded out at loudon. But there is a decent amount of sm tracks around.

"When there's a gap you either commit yourself as a professional racing driver that is designed to win races or you come second or you come third or come fifth, and I'm not designed to come third, fourth, or fifth. I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver."
    Ayrton Senna

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyf View Post
    I've got a built kx450 for sale. But like others have said, a 450 single cylinder putting out 50-65hp isn't gonna last very long being winded out at loudon. But there is a decent amount of sm tracks around.
    A decent amount? Where?

X2. Where are the sumo tracks? Pm with specifics on your bike.

Last edited by maxim_X; 11-14-11 at 10:49 AM.
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post

Oh and it is expensive as shit to build a bike from scratch. I probably had close to 9 grand into my sumo.
    Are you selling your's???

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast