Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Noob Track Rider- Question

Re: Noob Track Rider- Question

Quote Originally Posted by ae View Post
    Sorry to hijack your thread but one of the things that I'm worried (probably irrational) of when thinking about doing a track day is:

How does one deal with being a noob/slowpoke while other and more experienced track day users zoom past him/her? (Referring to ride your ride)

Is it bad if not dangerous to be slow when you're around more experienced riders?

Thanks.
    You are put in different groups according to your level... As a Noob you are in the beginner group with other noobs/slowpokes. As you get comfy and gain confidence you can move up.

We were all there once and these questions are not silly or irrational.

It is also stressed that it is the more experienced rider who needs to ensure they make a clean pass with PLENTY of room in the ALLOWED passing zones.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Doc; 04-23-12 at 03:24 PM.
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

The riders are "flighted" for lack of a better term. There's a group of noobs, a group for "better than noobs" and and expert group, at least in some cases.

They aren't on the track at the same times, so you don't have the guys that are really working on improving lap times being "held up" by someone that doesn't know what they are doing.

See http://www.tonystrackdays.com/catego...sing-rules.htm for example.

Sorry to hijack your thread but one of the things that I'm worried (probably irrational) of when thinking about doing a track day is:

How does one deal with being a noob/slowpoke while other and more experienced track day users zoom past him/her? (Referring to ride your ride)

Is it bad if not dangerous to be slow when you're around more experienced riders?

Thanks.
    The beginner group does not have any speed demons rolling through there. Also, passing is restricted to certain safer areas, and there are a lot of instructors rolling through the pack to keep an eye on things and assist. Take advantage of the instructors, they're instructors for a reason. Get in behind one and follow their line or ask one in-between sessions to turn some laps with you. I would not worry about getting passed or riding slow at all in the beginner group, that's why its called the beginner group.
    '

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

It's the passers job to get around cleanly. Boston Moto has a 6' rule. You as the passee should indeed ride your ride and not do anything unpredictable.
    In the novice group, there are pretty strict rules about where you can pass anyways. Always on the straights. Likewise, if you know you're the guy holding up a faster rider, and you can out motor him on any straight: don't. Just let him go for one of those straights and nobody will get antsy and try and make a stupid pass. Ie: just don't ham fist it and pull on the dude, just so he catches you on the brakes in the next corner.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Thanks.
    As everybody said, all newbs ride together, no passing....you will have follow the leader for the morning and on your own in the pm, but all beginners will be in the same group...dont worry, have fun.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
    08 CBR 1000RR street bike
    99 R6 track bike
    02 F4i sold to a nesr member

Thanks.
    Most track days seperate participants into three categories: advanced, intermediate, and beginner. I think some groups may even allow all the first timers to go out on there own, before being on track with the more experienced riders.

Either way, for the most part you are going to be surrounded by riders of a similar skill level.... You're not gonna have a racer blow by you at full speed.

Also, passing rules in beginner groups are very strict. Passing is basically only allowed on the straights or where deemed to be safe... so you wont have someone flying by you mid-corner.

I know your first track day can be intimidating, but it's really no big deal, and you'll have an absolute blast.

My only advice...

Don't bring a bike you can't afford to crash. Is a crash likely in the beginner group? No, but I have seen it happen.

Don't skimp on gear.... I know it's an expensive investment, but if you can't acquire good gear before getting on track, I wouldn't go. If money is an issue, looking into borrowing or renting. There are plenty of members on here who are willing to loan out some good gear.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

How does graduating up from group to group happen? When I demonstrate how mind-blowingly good a rider I am, do I get bumped to the advanced group right away?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7iUKaPlBl8

Me and my V-Strom, yah know.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    How does graduating up from group to group happen? When I demonstrate how mind-blowingly good a rider I am, do I get bumped to the advanced group right away?

when you are ready, get a control rider and tell him/her you are ready to bump up, he/she will follow you for a couple of laps and will decide if you are good to go...
    everybody's safety is what they look at

99 R6 track bike

You ask a control rider to follow you and they or another instructor will say yes.

Just don't do what another guy from this forum who has recently made a name for himself by taking people's money and not delivering did: sign up for advanced and then almost get ass packed for being SO slow, it was way off the pace from everyone else in the group.
    Ask the staff to move you into the appropriate skill group.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

What eric said, it will be obvious it's time to move up when you are always passing and never getting passed. I stick with intermediate because I pass and get passed just remember to keep the ego in check. You are a smart dude but some new track riders think it's a merit badge or some shit and try to ride in a group they clearly have no business in.

its kinda weird though.....i know some crazy crazy fast streetriders but when they get on the track, they are a different animal...almost scared i guess.
    then there is the lame street rider who is crazy fast at the track....you will never know i guess until you try.

99 R6 track bike

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    You are a smart dude...
    Didjah quote the wrong guy?

I was kidding... although I was curious about that.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by j4eric View Post
    then there is the lame street rider who is crazy fast at the track
    That one is easy to explain. Streets have cops. Cops give tickets. Tickets cost money. Lame street riders are cheap sunzabitches.

If/when I get serious about this. I'm going to post up my picture of how the day will go so ya'll can laugh hysterically at me. One thing I know I will have trouble with is braking. I know I brake so little on the street, I simply don't ride that fast. A quick blip down a gear or two and some engine braking is usually all it takes.

@nhbubba - One look at your minty peg feelers and they'll promote you to control rider for the expert group immediately

I'm still waiting for someone to invent a tope group.

That one is easy to explain. Streets have cops. Cops give tickets. Tickets cost money. Lame street riders are cheap sunzabitches.
    Or those lame riders have turned a few laps on the track and gotten it out of their system.
    I just need to get my lame bike on the road so I can go back to being a lame street rider and drink Kenn's whiskey and eat outrageous breakfasts.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

noob on track
    The track is +65' wide and 1.6 miles long.
    With a group of 30 riders on track, in theory you have a football field of space each.

Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    @nhbubba - One look at your minty peg feelers and they'll promote you to control rider for the expert group immediately

I'm still waiting for someone to invent a tope group.
    You and nhbubba should sign up and give it a try. You guys will have a great time... no matter whether you are fast or slow.

Lifer

I'm pretty serious about planning on it this year. I promised I'd wait another couple of weeks before pulling the trigger for sure.

professional lurker burtonboarder23's Avatar

just give in to peer pressure and pull the trigger!!!

"Could you elaborate on that a bit? Just telling me not to run a specific tire, and giving me no true logical explanation is like telling me I'm going to get my dick sucked tonight, and not by whom."

I'm pretty serious about planning on it this year. I promised I'd wait another couple of weeks before pulling the trigger for sure.
    Sell everything you can live without. You'll need the money to feed your new addiction.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Just do it and you will never look back. Be fore warned; It is like crack! You will sell your mother to do it again. Bought my first street bike in 2004, signed up for a track day in 2005 and haven't stopped since. Just make sure you sign up early. Track days seem to be selling out pretty quick. Relax and have fun. You are gonna be SO hooked. LOL

GSXR750 GS650 Street Tracker

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 35racer View Post

As far as crashing, it's pretty much been said, but it really boils down to the fact that if you crash at a trackday then YOU probably did something wrong. You cannot always say this on the street and to me that makes all the difference.

Hope to see you up there soon!
    Tony here sums it up perfectly ....I am by no means an expert rider but have done 18 track days over the past few years and haven't dumped the bike yet. Going into the day with reasonable expectations and some humility will go a long way to keeping your plastics as shiney as they are now.

If you want to check out a track day, you are welcome to come and watch or cornerwork. That way you can see what it's all about. You are even welcome to join in the classroom sessions with Tony's.

But, this is not necessary if you can trust that we know what we're doing to make your first day as unintimidating as possible.

How does one deal with being a noob/slowpoke while other and more experienced track day users zoom past him/her? (Referring to ride your ride)/
    As others have probably mentioned:

- You will attend a chalk talk first where the track is explained in detail and procedures for entering and leaving the track are explained.

- the very first session is "follow the leader" at a reduced pace behind an instructor. You will get a feel for the track and your bike at not much more than normal street speeds.

- the Novice group has very restrictive passing rules so no one is going to startle you.

- there are control riders to keep the pace appropriate, and instructors to follow to learn where to put the bike.

I can absolutely guarantee that if go to all the off-track training sessions and listen to the instructors, not only will you feel quite confident but no matter how slow you feel you are and how slow your bike is, someone will be slower on a faster bike and someone else will be faster on a slower bike.

Here's video of my first NHMS track day (after the Penguin school) at a TTD. 500 lb, 62 hp bike....

Quote Originally Posted by WinVT View Post
    Most track days seperate participants into three categories: advanced, intermediate, and beginner. I think some groups may even allow all the first timers to go out on there own, before being on track with the more experienced riders.

Either way, for the most part you are going to be surrounded by riders of a similar skill level.... You're not gonna have a racer blow by you at full speed.

Also, passing rules in beginner groups are very strict. Passing is basically only allowed on the straights or where deemed to be safe... so you wont have someone flying by you mid-corner.

I know your first track day can be intimidating, but it's really no big deal, and you'll have an absolute blast.

My only advice...

Don't bring a bike you can't afford to crash. Is a crash likely in the beginner group? No, but I have seen it happen.

Don't skimp on gear.... I know it's an expensive investment, but if you can't acquire good gear before getting on track, I wouldn't go. If money is an issue, looking into borrowing or renting. There are plenty of members on here who are willing to loan out some good gear.
    With respect to crashing. Is it better to find a cheap bike or is it better to rent a bike and pay for the insurance? Either way I would assume that I'm screwed if I crash but which is better?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast