Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

NYST PB's

Re: NYST PB's

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    The one time it's OK to go Full Retard.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

'04 GSXR 600 - Uptown - QStarz GPS - 1:34.7
    '02 KTM 520 SX - Uptown - QStarz GPS - 1:42.07

Compression is gone on the KTM - so I look forward to seeing what I can do with a new top-end this weekend.

LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

Quote Originally Posted by dougie View Post
    Think I'm about 1:41 ish based on the exact science of a gopro haha. Keys for me are about the same, braking later into 1, plus driving harder out if 3/4
    A 1:41 is definitely a respectable time.

I could be wrong, but I bet there's more low-hanging fruit elsewhere...at least in my experience seeing people running at a low 40's pace.

It seems to me that people (myself included) always seem to think first about braking late at the end of the biggest straightaway...I'm leaving a little on the table, but I no longer brake at "when you see god" markers going into 1.

Provided you set the same rollspeed into T1 either scenario, the difference between braking at the 400 (my midweight brake marker) and the 200 (my motard brake marker) on that track is what? A couple of tenths? Stress / danger level there's a world of difference. Hell, I stopped late braking that corner after seeing the aftermath of a single stuck throttle.

Now....the speed you carry into 8/9/10(/11/12).....that fast section is probably at least as long as the entire front straight....a couple miles an hour more through there means a lot. Now, there's not great runoff there so you don't want to push your limits, but if you do it right (line and VERY IMPORTANTLY move yourself across the bike with your knees, not your arms), I haven't pushed the front or blown an apex there in a while.

...and I think the entrance to 6 is prolly one of the biggest "coasting" sections on the track. It's sort of scary downhill, and most people sort of just lay it over reaally slow starting at the top of the hill, stretching out the entrance and not really able to brake or turn hard...

just my 2 cents. Nice work though!

Last edited by Ductard; 09-22-14 at 03:02 PM.
    LRRS 919

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

IIRC, going by my camera i think im in the 1:40 range. but IDK for sure since im basing that off of 1 lap and not timing lap after lap. it doesnt help that i really DGAFF

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

I set the lap record for downtown.

http://www.strava.com/activities/188095738

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    IIRC, going by my camera i think im in the 1:40 range. but IDK for sure since im basing that off of 1 lap and not timing lap after lap. it doesnt help that i really DGAFF
    Why only one lap? I'm not sure if you're watching your video with a stopwatch, but When I was using my gopro for timing, I'd set up a spreadsheet so that when I put in one time, it would tell me the next time I could expect to be crossing the same point, then you can move the scroll bar to that time in the video. You can get all your laps pretty quickly then, albeit with only ~1s of error. If you wanted to get more you could count frames from the time a second ticks off until you cross whatever your S/F is.

....still a PITA, so you could just pick up a lap timer. :-)

LRRS 919

03 SV, Uptown, qstarz, 1:47.1. I'm still working on a few areas like the straight, 1, 3, and 6-18.

This is 100% wrong. Not even a little bit of truth to it. The unofficial record is a :28 set by Corey Alexander. Last I checked Greg Nysk (TPM Coach) Set the official record, on his GSXR 750, at 1:31.XXX.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Lap record now down in the :26 range via Lou, others have done 27's. That said, I'm a lot more interested in what mere mortals are capable of.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by motoarch View Post
    I set the lap record for downtown.

http://www.strava.com/activities/188095738
    Hahaha...87 calories. You must have been riding super smooth....

LRRS 919

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    03 SV, Uptown, qstarz, 1:47.1. I'm still working on a few areas like the straight, 1, 3, and 6-18.
    Oh yeah...6-18 would be good to work on....considering that's like 3/4 of the track. :-D

LRRS 919

Quote Originally Posted by Ductard View Post
    Hahaha...87 calories. You must have been riding super smooth....
    If you stay in the powerband and don't get too greedy on the pedals a trek is super smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by motoarch View Post
    If you stay in the powerband and don't get too greedy on the pedals a trek is super smooth.
    I'm sort of partial to my American made CAAD8. I've thought about taking it up to NYST but haven't b/c I'm always super beat after a day of riding my other bicycle that has the twisty thing on the right handlebar.

Last edited by Ductard; 09-22-14 at 11:09 PM.
    LRRS 919

Serious question: What's the difference at NYST between the official track record and the unofficial track record? For example, at NHMS, I believe an official lap record can only be set in a race(not race practice, even though those also use the AMB timing system).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    Serious question: What's the difference at NYST between the official track record and the unofficial track record? For example, at NHMS, I believe an official lap record can only be set in a race(not race practice, even though those also use the AMB timing system).
    Well, as pointed out by others here, there's no track-run timing system.

I'd imagine that the "official" time was somebody running lap times with enough credibility for Greg to write it up as the record - i.e. they showed it to Greg immediately coming off the track or maybe they even have to tell him they're trying to set it beforehand. That's what's posted on a whiteboard on the side of the concession stand.

I think the "unofficial" time is just whatever time for the "I know a guy who knows a guy" or whatever the rumor mill is spitting out (i.e. the elusive 1:26's quoted above). I'd place 90% confidence that the "official" time is legit. I'd place almost none in the "unofficial" lap time.

LRRS 919

I was referring to Brendin's post saying that Corey Alexander(AMA guy, seems reputably fast?) had the unofficial lap record, but a guy who works for NYST has the official lap record, three seconds slower.

Also, the board thing confuses me. Someone I know did a 1:30.7 on a 675(I guess, that's what his GPS said), the NYST guy wrote it on the board(so I guess it was official?), then erased it the next day. Is it just a feel good marketing thing?

The only reason Corey's is not official is because apparently (I did not hear this myself) his father does not want him out there trying to set a record i.e. push himself on a track that is A: not a race track and B: not friendly to a rider if you hit the dirt.

On a side note, Greg Nysk, (current record holder per the white board) does not work for NYST. He works for Team Pro-motion.

I can not speak for your buddy that ran a 1:30.7.

Aprilia RSV4 - Downtown - Qstarz and vid - 1:32.7
    Aprilia RSV4 - Uptown - Qstarz - 1:33.7

The vid for the downtown session is on youtube and google drive. I followed Robert LaRiviere out at the start of the session and got several laps of Bob clicking off some decent laps on video. Then about 1/2 way into the session I snuck by and put my head down expecting Bob to pass me back at any moment. The end result is I turned my fastest laps ever at the track. The first is better quality for high bandwidth folks and the second is the youtube link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9k...it?usp=sharing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEilkvFmqlE

Quote Originally Posted by Brendin87 View Post
    This is 100% wrong. Not even a little bit of truth to it. The unofficial record is a :28 set by Corey Alexander. Last I checked Greg Nysk (TPM Coach) Set the official record, on his GSXR 750, at 1:31.XXX.
    Took someone for their word. Conversation regarding the :26 went as such.
    "I live at this track, I can't have the lap record"
    "How fast? :29?"
    "Eh..."
    "28?"
    "Eh..."
    "27???"
    "A bit better than that, but I coach and ride here every weekend so it's not a fair advantage."

I talked to another guy, who will remain nameless, claimed :27, but I will admit that he's been known to embellish things from time to time. Regardless, he's a fast dude, usually just not as fast as he says.

Per "official" laps times, I really don't have an answer. I don't really care a whole lot about what the actual record is, as this thread unfolds it appears to be fairly subjective anyway.

Main thing I'd like to get from this thread is how fast mere mortals are riding here, also where we all think we can do better and pick some time up.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

josh is NOT doing 1:27

pinky, back me up here

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Also, was pitted next to the guy who claimed to be the actual current lap record holder, although I didn't get the time. Forget his name. Older guy, thick mustache, white and orange ZX-10 on slicks. Can confirm he is retardedly fast, I was out with him all day on Sunday and he made my :38 pace look like novice group.

Anyway, pretty happy with where I'm at as of now, I've got :35's in my crosshairs for next year. Definitely hit a bit of a plateau this time. The QStarz does "optimal" time also, assumes if you put together an ideal lap from all laps you made in a session. With a best of :38.601, my optimal was only a bit quicker at :38.002. Lots of work left to do here.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by Ductard View Post
    Oh yeah...6-18 would be good to work on....considering that's like 3/4 of the track. :-D
    I'll add 2, 4 and 5 to the list as soon as I find them. Also having traction issues coming down the grass berm by the front straight after my 3am piss breaks, that shit gets slick.

...Also having traction issues coming down the grass berm by the front straight after my 3am piss breaks, that shit gets slick.

That's because everyone else just pees on the berm

Shit Corey says:
    Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    I think that a smooth motor would help me be a bit smoother

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by Brendin87 View Post
    Yeah, it's NYSK not NYST. I thought it was Greg NYST, the owner, for a long time and chuckled. But it's actually a different Greg.

I'll add 2, 4 and 5 to the list as soon as I find them. Also having traction issues coming down the grass berm by the front straight after my 3am piss breaks, that shit gets slick.
    Keep an empty Gatorade bottle in the trailer - can't have traction issues if you don't have to go anywhere. Just make sure the bottles are clearly labeled :-)

LRRS 919

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    ....the board thing confuses me. Someone I know did a 1:30.7 on a 675(I guess, that's what his GPS said), the NYST guy wrote it on the board(so I guess it was official?), then erased it the next day. Is it just a feel good marketing thing?
    He must have run that time on Pirelli's.

NYST went over to the dark side so now the "official" lap times must be run on GPA's, the (lower) "unofficial" lap time was on V2's.

(I just made that up, but let's see if the rumor mill runs with it )

LRRS 919

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast