Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Overtaking advice

Re: Overtaking advice

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I never understood the plastic bags. Don't your feet just get soaked in sweat then?
    It's not a perfect solution but the handful of times I've tried them I've seen benefits. I think Oreo recommended something like these. A bit pricey but I might give'em a try.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    Honest.

I didn't mean to smack my pals down.. Lol.

It. Was. Awesome!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Not that it matters, but I *think* Rada was on his 1K Gixxah. It would have looked the same if he were on the SV.
    At least it wasn't his daughter's hawk.
    At least it wasn't his daughter on her hawk.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Just get spare boots, gloves and helmet for the rain days. Use your "old" stuff when you buy new stuff every few years.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Attachment 42121

^^^ How it's done.
    This is also the safest pass. Outside of apex on turn exit and easy to abort if you can't make it. All turns accept 12 there isn't enough room for the slower corner exit rider to catch up on motor alone. If traction is the limiting factor on corner exit both the 600 and 1000 are on equal ground on corner exit. The 1000 only has an advantage once it's upright and full throttle. The only spot the 1000 could really catch a faster rider on a 600 is 12 to 1. All the shorter straights are good opportunities for this 2 to 3, 4 to 6, and 10 to 11. 6 to 9 is kind of straightish, but there's a lot of corner to corner cutting not leaving a lot of room to get around

Both cutting the 2 to 3 short with a late apex and late braking into 1 have a potential for a collision because you're taking a different line that intersects at some point. I've done the 2 to 3 cutoff a few times, but feel guilty and it's somewhat dangerous. Usually do it if the guy in front is taking turn 2 wide like he should and it would squeeze me too close to the wall to make the outside pass. (Also if he early apexs and runs too wide on turn 2 exit).

Late braking is probably the most advanced technique. If it's followed by staying on line and a faster corner speed it's pretty safe. If it's a more desperate attempt that leaves you cutting the guy off and then running a slower corner speed it's more dangerous. I know they do this in racing where you just badger your way in front any way you can and as long as you can keep the position that's all that matters, but I wouldn't use it on a track day unless you can make the former clean pass with high corner speed. The other way relys on the other guy doing the right thing and slowing down mid corner to avoid hitting you. The options are hit you or let you have it so it's effective at making the pass(or crashing), but it's not the position you necessarily want to put someone in at a track day.

Last edited by Tunertype; 04-11-15 at 02:07 PM.

Lifer

There's a cost / benefit decision you have to make. At a track day I tend to err way on the side of caution. If I don't know I can get by the rider cleanly and promptly, I don't do it. The benefit of passing the rider right now just isn't worth the potential cost of screwing the pooch, spooking the rider, or both. I've been accused of being overly cautious. But at the end of the day there is little to gain but the ego boost of passing. It is important to me to be the kind of rider I want to share the track with. You will find mileage varies here.

I have another great gif of a rider passing me and another rider in T9. As I remember, I was getting impatient and considering the pass. The other rider had more experience and more confidence and I. He pulled it off. Showed me it was possible. Still, I'm glad I stayed where I was at.

A lap behind a slower rider is still a shitload more fun than crashing. I have experience with both.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    A lap behind a slower rider is still a shitload more fun than crashing.
    Agreed! And it's a great time to settle down a bit and work on technique, as well as figuring out where you can make passes on the next lap.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123