Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What do you want to get out of a trackday?

What do you want to get out of a trackday?

When I first signed up for a trackday I was looking to improve my riding skills in a general sense and carry those skills over to the street. I was also excited about just driving fast without the risks associated with the street!

Now I think I'm still looking to improve my riding skills, just in a more specific way, without the concern about the street since I like it so much less now... I want to improve my trail braking, corner entry speed, certain sections of the track and lower lap times.

How about you guys/girls? What are you looking to get out of a track day? How has this evolved, especially for the more experience track people, current or ex-racers?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hyper

Re: What do you want to get out of a trackday?

Track days for me have been screw off time lately. Novice group on an unknown bike watching friends progress and then just playing around feeling out a different machine.

If I try to push I switch into race mode, passing rules go out the window, and at that point I shouldn't be participating in a track day.

Chicks

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

When I did my first TD I was already a NV racer, and all I really wanted out of it was race practice and to drop lap times.

Since then, things have changed. Now I like to look at a TD as a no stress environment where I can focus on being smooth, consistent, technique, etc. I have trouble doing this as much as I should on race weekends because I'm too focused on lap times and catching whoever is in front of me. I used to want a lap timer @ TDs, now I'd rather NOT have one. Not having to worry about lap times allows me to focus on the fundamentals that are more important to going consistently fast down the road.

I'm now doing 25s on an EX500. It's not fast, but it's not all that slow either. I think the only way to realistically and repeatably drop another 5+ seconds off that is to improve my fundamentals, I'm not sure how much faster "grip it and rip it" will take me.

It's also really nice to be on track w/ legit fast guy experts who can afford to take the time to slow down and watch me, so they can help me improve. I get some help on race weekends, but it's not like the 1 on 1 you can get @ a TD.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Novice group on an unknown bike watching friends progress and then just playing around feeling out a different machine.
    That sounds like fun. I'd love to be able to jump on a couple different bikes and get a feel for them.

Hyper

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Dragging knees and styling!

I hear that a lot. The harder they try and just focus on this the harder it is to achieve it. They are not thinking about technique. It is usually balls to the wall riding. It can be pretty scary to watch.

You've got the right approach. Work on things a little each session without the obstacles. You will find this will complement your skills much quicker and boost your confidence. Instead of constantly being in panic mode where it can be more difficult to learn.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Wickedfuckingfastguy.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

First off, trackday is a rush for me, cant get that on the streets, never did. I wanted to improve my riding abilities so I started TD's. Now I'm hooked like crack addict. All I want to do is to improve technique, speed will come eventually. I'm kinda hitting a wall right now. I just started trail braking but not much confidence into it yet, just tried it maybe afternoon sessions of the last two TD. Hope to improve and one day, maybe get a cool pic of scraping elbows, lol. Eventually I wanna amateur race maybe 5-6 races a season or so, just for pleasure, who knows it might be addictive too. So thats what I'm in it for.

As an ex racer, current instructor, and someone who had a hard time turning down the aggression factor, trackdays have gotten better and better for me as we formalized our instruction program. I'm learning a lot through teaching and enjoying the low pressure environment. Less charging, more refining.

This might seem spammy, but it's not meant to take anything from any other trackday experience.

If you're plateau-ing sign up for a one-on-one day with us. We WILL find a way forward for you. It's what we do. I'm really stoked to be able to teach one-on-one this year. I'll use communicators, maps, perhaps vid, and a focus on fundamentals to get you through to the next level. Do it!

Paul_E_D

I just go there to have fun. Depending on the day, it may just be riding with another similar speed rider, or working on getting faster, or just cruising along enjoying the flow. Fun to me changes with my mood.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by r6rammy View Post
    Eventually I wanna amateur race....who knows it might be addictive too.

'02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post

lol, I think its a long shot to start off with, and by race, i mean i wanna be the last guy to finish the race,

lol, I think its a long shot to start off with, and by race, i mean i wanna be the last guy to finish the race,
    Just curious, why is it such a long shot? It can be done on a budget, and you're already familiar with the track? Hell, I started racing on a complete whim. Had my race bike and gear before I'd ever even seen the track.

FYI, you may want to just take up crack instead. I hear it's less addictive. DB told me this when I started racing, and I didn't believe him. He was right.

Depending how you go about racing, crack could be cheaper as well...

Quote Originally Posted by "Dangerous" Dan K View Post
    Just curious, why is it such a long shot? It can be done on a budget, and you're already familiar with the track? Hell, I started racing on a complete whim. Had my race bike and gear before I'd ever even seen the track.

FYI, you may want to just take up crack instead. I hear it's less addictive. DB told me this when I started racing, and I didn't believe him. He was right.

Depending how you go about racing, crack could be cheaper as well...

First off, my skills are weak and need a lot of work. Usually if I get into something, I need to be good at it, so yeah, I dont think I have the time or funds to actually race and be good at it. For now, for a start, I wanna improve skills so I can bump upto expert level in trackdays, then take it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Wickedfuckingfastguy.
    you got a lot of work to do

for me FUN, first and foremost. sometimes I have as much fun off the track as I do on it. on track I want to improve as much as possible. part of my problem is that I find it hard to get myself to focus on just one thing at a time. as Paul said the 1-on-1 thing really does help. Whenever I get a CR giving me a pointer or 2 after a session I go out the next session and work on it. Its kind of like motivation that I now have a set task to go out and accomplish and someone to report back to. Its like homework that I actually wanna do.

Fair enough. Not trying to second guess your decisions, just curious for my own reasons. Hell, I know of a lot of people that came to the track never having done a TD, and at least one of them is a nasty up and comer, 2nd season, and just hooked up with a pretty cool black and yellow team (the little bastid... : )

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    you got a lot of work to do
    i know dude.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I got a lot of adrenaline rushes, better bike control, and a good idea of just what it takes to crash on a rainy track (which is doing pretty much anything without rains mounted in my case).

I loved doing them, will probably do a few this year on the tuono but i'll be riding it like a grandma for fear of crashing it!

Don't Fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

NEW STREET/TRACK: 2007.5 Aprilia Tuono
    STREET/TRACK: '08 CBR600RR (SOLD)
    '07 VFR800 (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by "Dangerous" Dan K View Post
    Fair enough. Not trying to second guess your decisions, just curious for my own reasons. Hell, I know of a lot of people that came to the track never having done a TD, and at least one of them is a nasty up and comer, 2nd season, and just hooked up with a pretty cool black and yellow team (the little bastid... : )
    Aww Dan, I feel so special.

Like Dan, my first trackday was done after I was already an amateur racer. I really loved the chance to ride my street bike hard and not have to worry about traffic or cops. My favorite part of it was how relaxed the whole experience is. There was very little crashing (if at all) and nobody was there to show off. I will be attending at least a few this year as the budget and work schedule allow.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

track day pictures

I would be full of S**t if knee dragging wasn't a goal for my first track day lol, IT is really true that the more you think about it the harder it its. Took me till the last session when I finally gave up cleared my head and bam it happened lol.

I like improving my skills all around, going fast on the track helps me slow down scary situations on the street. Every session helps me learn better throttle control, braking, body position, lots of other fun thing lol

Also looking to work on my laps on Loudon, I'd like to race eventually but definitely need to improve a lot more so I'm a novice back marker instead of a novice obstacle lol So braking point, lines, entry and exits are on my mind too

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

I signed up to practice my skills, get better/smoother, etc all the normal stuff.

I did like six or eight track days in 2009, and haven't been back since. Too many asshats not following the rules, carelessness causing accidents that could have ended much worse, and a few other similar reasons, I can't justify paying money to feel just as much at risk on the track as I do on the street.

At least on the street, I know that no one is going to have any regard for me, at the track, I expected at least a little bit.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Quote Originally Posted by noxin
    I signed up to practice my skills, get better/smoother, etc all the normal stuff.

I did like six or eight track days in 2009, and haven't been back since. Too many asshats not following the rules, carelessness causing accidents that could have ended much worse, and a few other similar reasons, I can't justify paying money to feel just as much at risk on the track as I do on the street.

At least on the street, I know that no one is going to have any regard for me, at the track, I expected at least a little bit.
    That is really too bad. You should consider trying some other groups or locations. Should not be like that.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

That is really too bad. You should consider trying some other groups or locations. Should not be like that.

just so you know, the was for the "might be addictive" part, no reflection on you wanting to race

'02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast