Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Palmer noise update?

Palmer noise update?

Any info on some issues Palmer has had regarding noise levels last year? I was reading that they might have to limit db levels there after a study was done (based on cars I believe).

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2013 ZX6R-636

Re: Palmer noise update?

Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    Any info on some issues Palmer has had regarding noise levels last year? I was reading that they might have to limit db levels there after a study was done (based on cars I believe).
    Palmer is in more trouble right now with the septic/wetlands bs. I don't think noise is high on their priority list.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Lifer

Septic? Cliffs?

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Septic? Cliffs?
    state found that owner had damaged wetlands. settled on paying a fine in the area of $125k. plus set aside 300 surrounding the track to preserve what is there PLUS purchase 200 acres of land that will be donated to "the commonwealth" for wildlife habitat and open space

i get the protection of wildlife habitats but lets be serious, everyplace we set foot was a wildlife habitat at some point but we bulldozed our way through it and build parking lots anyways. if its your property you should be given leeway to do with it what you want without fear that the govt is going to come in and take it away from you in the name of conservation.

i dont condone PMP violating permits etc. starting to sound a lot like tamworth and NYST. no wonder no one builds race tracks anymore

Owner and Builder of Palmer Race Track to Pay $250k

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Email blast going out today about Palmer and other stuff regarding TTD.

Basically, there is a known limit for noise when bikes are on track at full throttle. Transferring that number to a db level when in the pits is the hard part. All bike sizes and configurations do not follow the same db rise.

Our plan is to develop a guideline chart early in the year. We'll identify bikes that are too loud when under power, and then record their engine type, size, etc... and record their level when stopped. Hopefully others can use this chart to pre determine if their bikes are too loud before they sign up.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Guess I'll save the cost of a slip in and instead use it for more track days. Remember the old AMA ad, less sound = more ground.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

What a Fucking disaster. I should just charge the track $1000 a day for customers to shit in my bathrooms up the street

It's so fox in charge of the henhouse it's not even funny. Maybe there was intentional wrongdoing. So the solution is, the government gets $300,000 and 200 acres of land. Riiiiiiiiiight. Got it. That'll put everything right again.

Well, not quite. The powers that be want more...

Quote Originally Posted by TTD View Post
    Email blast going out today about Palmer and other stuff regarding TTD.

Basically, there is a known limit for noise when bikes are on track at full throttle. Transferring that number to a db level when in the pits is the hard part. All bike sizes and configurations do not follow the same db rise.

Our plan is to develop a guideline chart early in the year. We'll identify bikes that are too loud when under power, and then record their engine type, size, etc... and record their level when stopped. Hopefully others can use this chart to pre determine if their bikes are too loud before they sign up.
    The easiest way is just to tell the track to buy a sound meter and read car/bike db levels when they go by. That's what jennings gp does. Seems to work pretty good. I don't think the sound meter wand is expensive and its portable so you can have different corner workers use it, so people don't just cheat on the straightaway.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

The track has the wand... That's how we'll determine which bikes are too loud.

I am trying to develop a method so we'll know before people get on the track.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

There is a sound level meter app for the iPhone that is reasonably useful as a quick reference. We have sound level meters at work and the app measures roughly the same. Figured I'd mention it in case others would like to measure their bikes to get an idea how loud they are, knowing full well that there will be an actual meter available at Palmer.

Cool. I have heard there are serious swings in the results from different meters, but we'll deal with that bridge a little down the road.

My first "problem" is coming up with a stationary db number for all engine configs... one that correlates well to how loud they are at W.O.T under power.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

In other news atleast Club Motorsports in Tamworth should be coming online this summer!!!! woohoo!

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

yeah... it's crazy how we go from having one track (Loudon) for so many years... to so many tracks.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Don't want to hurt those poor little blue spotted salamanders ears or orange moths, unbelievable!! Although, that is pretty messed up they filled a stream in instead of building a bridge that they had a permit for, what the hell were they thinking, did they think no one would notice?????

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myzx6 View Post
    Don't want to hurt those poor little blue spotted salamanders ears or orange moths, unbelievable!! Although, that is pretty messed up they filled a stream in instead of building a bridge that they had a permit for, what the hell were they thinking, did they think no one would notice?????
    bridges are expensive.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

I find it best not to follow these things. Track owners are constantly getting sued. They have lawyers on salary (or retainer). It is nearly constant until a track is established. The press is so biased that they simply overblow every single complaint. They will fight it out, but the fact is that they have already been operating for more than a year. This is good!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

High maintenance priss

So - what's the deal w/ the facilities at Palmer?

Bathrooms/showers?
    Garages?
    Power hookups?

I heard a rumor that 1 or more of these was done, but want correct info.

Garages are up with electric.

Open air garages are being built along the front straight... w/electric. Those of you that are used to pitting along the front straight will now have to rent these... should be pretty cheap though (about 25 bucks per bike)... and you don't have to screw around with canopies. They will have roof but no sides.

Bathroom building should be operational by our May 29/30 event. Just need a sign off by the state and I believe that came this week.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

They should take that $250k in fines and all that free land and spend it on noise barriers, make the locals happy, might even keep a few moths from getting splattered on the track!

No way to install noise barriers... just not feasible given the architecture of the land.

As long as the obnoxiously loud bikes don't show up, we (bikes) have no problem.

As for the car guys, it's basically the same thing... just a small percentage that are causing the complaints.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

They definitely have a noise limit.

I wasn't surprised when my yz450f with graves exhaust failed, but very surprised when my brand new kx450f with oem exhaust failed...by 4 dbs!

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Quote Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post

I wasn't surprised when my yz450f with graves exhaust failed, but very surprised when my brand new kx450f with oem exhaust failed...by 4 dbs!
    I'm not surprised about the new MX bike failing, they are stupid loud stock. Other than MX tracks, in stock form they also fail the sound tests at most off road events.

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post

Did you get black flagged?

Paul_E_D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast