Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

New Palmer track video

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

Re: New Palmer track video

Quote Originally Posted by Swizz View Post
    Sweet. A little intimidating for my first track day but still looks like a lot of fun. End of May cant come soon enough.
    I absolutely would not suggest this place for the first time on a track.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lxpony View Post
    I absolutely would not suggest this place for the first time on a track.
    I disagree here... any track is fine for your first day if you are with the right org.

Tracks are just roads... no big mystery. I've ridden/driven about 10 laps of this place now and it will be fine for everyone.

My only concern with first timers is being able to give our full "First Timers Experience" without any classroom area. If they provide us with some class space, then I'll open it up to first timers just like any other track we've been to.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Wow.

If I hadn't been around it so many times that vid would scare me too!

In reality, most corners have 40 feet of track surface and then another 20 to 40 feet of runoff. The areas that you are not going to be relatively parallel to the walls will get tires to start.

As mentioned before... not ideal for racing but "sane" trackdays should be OK with the right participants.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Not sure about those rock walls lining the track. What's going to stop you from sliding into those? Besides a concrete wall.

Lifer

Friction.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I don't love the look of the walls, but I have also walked this place, and this is my 3rd new track to evaluate safety wise. These experiences have been enlightening.

NYST: every loudon racer FREAKED out about how unsafe it would be. For various reasons that the racers mind could not see, it turns out to be a pretty safe track. I would have to rate it safer than Loudon. With a LITTLE more work it could easily be safe for racing.

Thompson: every Loudon racer FREAKED out about how unsafe it would be including the leaders of that community. Again, once ridden, it proved to be safer than expected. In this case, I do not think it is ever going to be appropriate for racing, but our customers have now tested all the crash zones people were freaking about, and we have not seen any major injuries due to track limitations. We modify a few lines for an extra measure of safety and it works VERY well. Why the other orgs don't do it, I cannot say.

Palmer: racers are once again FREAKING out. Get the pattern here? I have studied the track on foot and in videos. I have not yet ridden it. What I can say is that the layout is the best I've seen. Runoff looks to be equal to Thompson in the crash zones. The track is wiiiide. They have added extra width to the tarmac in a few key crash zones. The fact that the track is lined completely by walls will take some getting used to, but it does not mean that it is not safe to ride for trackdays and training. I don't have enough info to say whether I feel it is safer than Thompson. We will have to reserve final judgement until we ride it. It will not be appropriate for racing motorcycles IMO. We will modify a few lines for safety on this track as well. I don't expect it to detract from what will be an exhilirating and unique stretch of pavement.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by duganc1717 View Post
    Never been on the track with 4 wheels, would love to take the new WRX!

Hmmmmmm.
    Going from my well set up sti on race tires to my pig of an rc51 on street tires wasn't that fun...

Lifer

It is what it is.

NHMS has one thing none of these other facilities could right now; experience. They know where and how riders go down and have taken precautions. All of these facilities will likely figure it out. There is no other way and it is what it is. But it sucks being part of that learning process.

I too am excited to ride this place. Just as I'm excited to ride anywhere.

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TTD View Post
    not ideal for racing but "sane" trackdays should be OK with the right participants.
    I am a Saner trackday rider then most.....

If I go to the opener that would be three track weekends in a row for me. I think my woman would stab me.

Kudos to you Tony (and TTD crew) for taking on this challenge. More is more. Laguna has nearly no front straight but all the flowing corners and elevation changes make it one of my favorite tracks. You never know, this place may have the same magic.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    If I go to the opener that would be three track weekends in a row for me. I think my woman would stab me.
    It is better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I don't know why anyone would freak out over NYST. Plenty of run off. I've not been to Thompson. A few area's may look a little sketchy. I'm sure you'll keep us posted on Palmer.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyJ View Post
    I don't know why anyone would freak out over NYST. Plenty of run off. I've not been to Thompson. A few area's may look a little sketchy. I'm sure you'll keep us posted on Palmer.
    A considerable lip all the way around, tree stumps, rocks, a swamp, a dive off the edge of the planet. I experimented with the runoff in what looked like one of the better areas to do so, Peter Kates then got to experiment with straightening SV fork tubes.

i think NHIS is by far the most dangerous.. they also should build a new track to keep relevant with these other tracks opening up... Palmer will be fine with air fences.. i dont see how they cant use them.
    just an opinion.. ive never been lucky enough to race street.. just trackdays ...

This track looks like good fun!

LRRS#167

Today was a wild day!

My first track day in a car (Ken's too). We ended up getting 4 sessions with an instructor in the car.

1st session - learn the basic line

2nd session - pick up the pace a little and get funny noise/feedback from the front end in corners. Pull off the track to figure it out, decide it's the traction control applying brake pressure to front end... waste of session.

3rd session - Turn traction control off and was going as fast as I wanted to by end of the session. Tires howling in all corners and decided I really didn't want to bin my car when my real goal was just to learn the line for our upcoming bike days.

4th session - Told my instructor I was just going to chill out the last session... he said OK no problem. By the 3rd lap I was going faster than ever and trying new things (like no brakes between 1 and 3). Did a couple more, then decided to chill out a bit and work on a couple of the corners that I felt I was leaving some on the table... and definitely went faster in those.

SUMMARY: It was a lot of fun, but I doubt I will do it more than 1 or 2 times per year. I'd still rather be on 2 wheels on a track!

As for the track itself, there are going to be a few challenges for us... at least the first few events. It's definitely a place to use your head and choose the spots to go fast and the spots to chill. Fortunately, with 2.5 miles of track and tons of corners... there are plenty of corners to enjoy at full pace.

Until the grass grows on the sides of the track, dust is going to be an issue also. Even more reason to ride within your limits as more and more gets done to make the place better.

Exhausted... will write more over the next few days.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

The track was a blast. But like Tony says, we will have to be patient as they smooth the rough edges. Here is the video of me and my Crosstrek.

I never though NYST was very bad. Immediately from the track walk last winter I though Thompson was sketchy, and it proved to be. I think this will be better than Thompson, worse than NYST and NHMS. If tracks like this are being run why don't motorcycles run Limerock? It used to be too unsafe, but I don't see much difference between that and Palmer or Thompson.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube