Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Did my Penguin Basic School Today

Re: Did my Penguin Basic School Today

Brian, and anyone else trying to get into this, I can't wait to see it come together for yaz. It is SUCH a rewarding experience.

And Greg, that high nose you pulled on that frigging Popsicle was outstanding.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    1:30's in the rain isn't half bad. But only 124mph on the straight? What was your brake marker there?

Make sure you let us know when you get your race number!! Congrats on passing the school.
    I'm not sure about the lap times, but I was definitely having a problem on the straight. For some reason my bike wouldn't shift into 5th or 6th gear like it normally does. I think it was because I had the engine spooled up alot higher than usual, but it was as if I was already in 6th. The lever just wouldn't budge. It was happening going up the hill at 5 too. Once I got home, I put my street stuff back on the bike and went for a ride and it shifts like butter. Go figure! I don't really know what the deal was, maybe my tire was spinning in 6th and that is why the revs were so high? I was definitely braking alot earlier than I would in the dry, and I definitely need to work on approaching that 1st turn. Eric(Wood) showed me the proper way to do it, but it is still a little confusing to me. Maybe in the dry it will all come together, but I hope my bike will be shifting alright next time I'm on the track. I adjusted my chain because I thought that may have thrown the tranny off, but I doubt it. It never happened to me before. Yeah, I'm assuming I could have gotten up to 140 in the dry with my bike shifting properly.

LRRS am #121

"So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

I doubt you ever hit 6th. and if you did you were short shifting a few gears.

Quote Originally Posted by SSearchVT View Post
    Then there were the instructors - They were passing me like I was standing still (but weren't turning around to watch me). The biggest demonstration of the speed difference was when I got passed on the outside of turn one by one of the instructors on a 125 - That he had never ridden before....
    I never saw an instructor pass me. As a matter of fact, I passed one of the instructors who wears glasses. I think they were all set riding in the rain. I noticed alot of people getting nervous in the corners because of how wet it was. I had alot of confidence in my tires, and have done a long ride in the snow so rain doesn't scare me too much.

LRRS am #121

"So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    I doubt you ever hit 6th. and if you did you were short shifting a few gears.
    No, I got it into sixth a few times. 16,500 rpm isn't short shifting. Wheel spinning maybe

LRRS am #121

Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    No, I got it into sixth a few times. 16,500 rpm isn't short shifting. Wheel spinning maybe
    I doubt you were spinning it that much down the straight. you have that thing geared really short?

Wait, you were near redline in top gear, in the rain? Do you have a stunter rear sprocket on it? If not, you're doing it wrong.......

One of the former LRRS #13's

http://www.facebook.com/ChrisWatt762

JT42

I doubt you were spinning it that much down the straight. you have that thing geared really short?
    No. I don't know what was happening. I could get into 5th/6th when I was riding it like on the highway, but when my tires were warm and the puddle at 12 was somewhat gone, I could get a better drive onto the straight. I'd wind the bike up alot harder and get into 4th but it wouldn't shift into 5th a couple of times. It didn't really make that much of a difference because I was only in those higher gears for a second before braking, but it definitely was annoying.

LRRS am #121

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62gigawatts View Post
    Wait, you were near redline in top gear, in the rain? Do you have a stunter rear sprocket on it? If not, you're doing it wrong.......
    No my gearing is stock (16/45). I could get into sixth a few times before braking, but I wasn't redlining in 6th. When I was really hammering the thing it wouldn't shift, but I may have already been in 6th and just didn't realize it. Normally, redlining in 6th means I'm doing over 150, but that is why I can't figure out what was happening. If my tire was spinning then it would make sense.

LRRS am #121

Not use to riding boots which is causing you to not back off the shifter all the way inbetween shifts? I found that to be my issue when I couldnt get the Tard to up-shift

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriousR1 View Post
    Not use to riding boots which is causing you to not back off the shifter all the way inbetween shifts? I found that to be my issue when I couldnt get the Tard to up-shift
    You must not have read what he said a few posts ago...the raw talent is there brother..the talent is there
    People with talent don't make those kinda mistakes

Last edited by R7; 10-03-10 at 06:15 PM.
    Yamaha

I was only able to hit about 125 down the straight.
    Thats pretty good, I can only hit about 110 on my motard.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

That has to be it! I just got the same idea after reading a post from Trevitt of Sport Rider forum. It was only my second time riding with my TCX's, so maybe the boot didn't let the shifter come down all the way! Yes. This was causing me so much stress trying to figure this out, but that has to be it!

LRRS am #121

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    You must not have read what he said a few posts ago...the raw talent is there brother..the talent is there
    Come on now dude. If you are faster than me you can talk all the shit you want, but I highly doubt it.

LRRS am #121

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Quote Originally Posted by BrianC
    Come on now dude. If you are faster than me you can talk all the shit you want, but I highly doubt it.
    Oops.

Ok.....Now you are coming off like gods gift to riding.

Ok.....Now you are coming off like gods gift to riding.
    No, No, No, here is someone trying to come across as cocky and ignorant:
    "Dude, I'm coming to kick you guys asses next year! I just bought a new BMW S1000RR for my first bike and it is so much faster than your wimpy bikes."

LRRS am #121

No, he was being sarcastic. I found it rather amusing....

No, No, No, here is someone trying to come across as cocky and ignorant:
    "Dude, I'm coming to kick you guys asses next year! I just bought a new R6 for my first bike and it is so much faster than your wimpy bikes."

this thread delivers...or at least it will when next season starts and you can see just how fast you are compared to some of the guys in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jcbell1007 View Post
    this thread delivers...or at least it will when next season starts and you can see just how fast you are compared to some of the guys in this thread.

It's posts like this that just suck me in. I look forward to next year man...

LRRS am #121

I know I'm faster, I have a bigger bike and I use all the power

Yamaha

I understand, I took my penguin school in the rain and passed every single person as well, I remember it clearly. Seriously!

Oh, wait, then I started racing and 2 years later... I'm still slow... hmmm....

Chill Brian... you're a nice guy but you're a slow pre-novice.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

I know I'm faster, I have a bigger bike and I use all the power
    using all the power is only gonna get you through the fence between 6/2. way too much dirt over there for you.

using all the power is only gonna get you through the fence between 6/2. way too much dirt over there for you.
    This thread isn't about Jim

Yamaha

It takes a lot of confidence to come out of Penguin school and tell guys you're fast.

I might have to upgrade from Medium to Large popcorn for this.