Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I need a One pice race leather suit to buy soon for just the track no street

Short bus rider

I need a One pice race leather suit to buy soon for just the track no street

The brand name does not mean much to me other than "Vanson" because it's well made in Fall River by local people and with local area leather and textile that is not made in China is big with me. I need a suit that will keep me from wrecking myself from a 100 mile hr highside or missing a shift and kissing a granite wall.
    . With that said I need info on different suits is a cheep suit worth it? My plan is a custom suit by Vanson for a price around $1800 give or take. I had a Vanson for almost 20 years and did me very well. I'm lost with other suit quality and safety. If you can sell me on something cheaper but as well made I am very interested to hear what your experience has been please show pictures and speak of cost also who to buy them from. Please explain how they pit you and explain about safety in the suit or should it be added. Also tell me about the new air bag vest that are available. Do they go over or under the leathers is it too intrusive to ride with?

Thanks for any help

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: I need a One pice race leather suit to buy soon for just the track no street

I personally really dislike Vanson. Every single Vanson product ive tried sucks. Fit is horrible and SUPER uncomfortable.

I definitely wanted to like Vanson. I grew up seeing the logo, love to support the local guy, etc...

There are, in my opinion, WAY better products available than Vanson.

Short bus rider

Re: I need a One pice race leather suit to buy soon for just the track no street

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    I personally really dislike Vanson. Every single Vanson product ive tried sucks. Fit is horrible and SUPER uncomfortable.

I definitely wanted to like Vanson. I grew up seeing the logo, love to support the local guy, etc...

There are, in my opinion, WAY better products available than Vanson.
    Yes I will agree off the rack Vanson is not even an option with them. The quality is top notch in that price for a custom suit though. I can suffer a bit of being uncomfortable for 20 minutes if it does what it should. I have many quirks with them but can't bash them at all.
    I've race with their suit for almost 10 years had untold crashes, some bad ones and every single time walked away unharmed. I had many repairs at the track for free and paid for a few in offseason too. Never once did the suit let me down.
    When I got my suit in 1997 yes 1997 and used it this year after being away for 8 years it still did its job. I don't think there were many suits available then like today. So this is my question to everyone what's your opinion on what you wear and how has it held up in crashes?

Is it off the rack or custom made? Does it come with quality crash armor or do you use under suit armor?

Do you use air bags?
    I'm a lot older now and ache when I sneeze never mind a lowside. If a highside happens I want to walk away from from it and make it to work on Monday.
    This is why I'm asking and think everyone should make this issue #1 before getting on track.i don't want to spend a lot of money if I wreck and then find out it was garbage. By that point I will have more to worry about, then some lost money on some shitty protection.

No expert but different brands may fit you better than others. I have a long torso and off-the-rack Vansons are too short in the torso. AGV and Aplinestars fit me much better right off the rack.

Vansons are tanks that take a LONG time to break in and get 'comfortable'. Or at least the older ones did, I'm hearing they're moving to thinner leather to lighten their suits and make them easier to move in like other brands, but you're sacrificing some protection by going that route.

Love my Cortech Adrenaline 2 suit I am 5' 10" 205lbs a size 44 fits nicely and for well under 1000 bucks a great deal. Have not crash tested it as of yet but its well made and should stand up ... I have had Vanson's and Joe Rocket and this is by far is the best suit for the money...

Last edited by MUZ720; 10-29-16 at 11:32 AM.

Short bus rider

Where's the best place that carries a lot of suits to try?

Seacoast Sport Cycle if you are looking for off the rack.

They are also having a Dainese custom works event on November 5.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Riverside Ducati/Triumph in Medford has lots of Dainese suits in stock.

Last time I went to Seacoast Ducati their selection was very limited.

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    Last time I went to Seacoast Ducati their selection was very limited.
    Fair. In my experience they are pretty happy to order stuff in if they don't have the right size.

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Fair. In my experience they are pretty happy to order stuff in if they don't have the right size.
    Yup, love that place J. Just sayin they had almost nothing compared to what Im used to seeing there.

Short bus rider

Yes that's my reason for this post.Im finding than nowhere that I know have a wide selection of suits especially different brands. Woburn cycle whatever their name is has a good selection but are still limited and have lower quality stuff in stock. Squid Street stuff not really mid to high tech end protection.

How tall/fat are you

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Short bus rider

I'm 6' 195 long torso. My legs have large quads and my chest is somewhat narrow in comparison. So with my build that is the main problem with me fitting in a off the rack suit. I want under armor for hip and tail protection too.

Spartan Leathers has a great reputation over on SVRider

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Finding stores that have a wide selection of leather suits is difficult at best.. I found that online sites can be helpful with brands and sizes. sportbiketrackgear.com has very good videos with many different brands, size and cost options. Most will also take returns for size issues

Quote Originally Posted by Teamdineen View Post
    Yes that's my reason for this post.Im finding than nowhere that I know have a wide selection of suits especially different brands. Woburn cycle whatever their name is has a good selection but are still limited and have lower quality stuff in stock. Squid Street stuff not really mid to high tech end protection.
    I tried locally but the brands stocked by Seacoast didn't fit me and the Vanson store didn't have anything at that moment.

I wound up ordering from Revzilla so if it didn't fit I could stop by their store in Philly on the way to NJMP. Their return policy is pretty friendly as well.

I really like spidi...

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    I really like spidi...
    Me too.

I bought a Dainese just recently due to my Alpinestars having to be cut off me after a crash in turn 1. I was able to try on the Dainese before purchase, Im not gonna buy a suit before I get to try it on....

RS Taichi full race suit and gloves
    Great suit, super light and great flexibility
    Off the rack and no complaints
    Sport bike track gear is where I picked this up and usually do end of season deals if your looking for new
    I was skeptical spending the money since no one I know had a Taichi however instantly happy first use
    Link for reference

Quote Originally Posted by Teamdineen View Post
    I need a suit that will keep me from wrecking myself from a 100 mile hr highside or missing a shift and kissing a granite wall.
    I feel fortunate to say I have no experience to help with here. Anybody?

I will add that I raced and crashed in a lot of hand me down suits (I know, not what you're asking!). The savings seemed worthwhile at the time. After breaking my clavicle I wish I had spent for an airbag suit, although I'm not sure it would have inflated as I tucked the front while leaned and fell on my inside shoulder. I still had my hands on the bars. My three Alpinestars have only suffered cosmetic damage, my one size too big kangaroo leather MotoGP rolled on my arms and wore through the stretch fabric in a lowside. Twice.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Vanson took 3 or 4 weekends to break in. In a perfect world, it's the only suit I'd ever crash in. It's thick (abrasion) and armored (impact)...only thing I'd pick to hit the deck. Unless it's cut off me, I can't see ever replacing it - should last many seasons. Any other brand suit I run, I expect 1 crash out of - anything more is bonus. Armor and thickness of leather along with seam quality is suspect on almost all of them (in my experience) besides Vanson.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

I'm also a vanson fan. I just bought their medium weight suit. It fits amazingly well and seems well built. It is not the klunky race weight suit vanson is known for. More similar to a dianese or other commercial brand suits.

It's my 3rd vanson suit, and the best so far. I haven't tested it yet though...

Paul_E_D

I bought a used Vanson one piece suit, and it wasn't cheap. Fits me pretty well. It is heavy as hell because it is thick leather with major armor, and that's how I want it. As far as flexibility, I don't notice it while riding.

Bottom line, I'm happy with it

Quote Originally Posted by cdovego View Post
    Vanson took 3 or 4 weekends to break in. In a perfect world, it's the only suit I'd ever crash in. It's thick (abrasion) and armored (impact)...only thing I'd pick to hit the deck. Unless it's cut off me, I can't see ever replacing it - should last many seasons. Any other brand suit I run, I expect 1 crash out of - anything more is bonus. Armor and thickness of leather along with seam quality is suspect on almost all of them (in my experience) besides Vanson.
    Well that MotoGP suit you have basically looks like cross between No Fear gear from the 90's and those velour jumpsuits Jersey chicks like to wear. Would fully expect it to explode at the mere thought of asphalt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast