Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Should I really be picky about tires?

Should I really be picky about tires?

So after hearing all this talk about tires and what tire is better etc I can't help but wonder...From the view of someone who only does a few trackdays a year and mostly rides on the street, is it really worth all this analysis? I was told (this may not be accurate its just what I heard) that any DOT tire will be just fine until you get roughly below 1:20 for lap times. I am nowhere near that, and frankly thats pretty fast for someone who just does a few track days a year. That being said, why should I care what tires I put on my bike?

My rule is stick with a reputable tire/name (michelin, conti, dunlop, pirelli etc)and just go with whatever the best deals are on. I have been running Contis cause they are cheap and seem to last longer. Will I really notice a difference going to a better tire when I am in the high 1:20's for lap times? Does anyone agree that any sport bike tire will be just fine down to a 1:20 lap time?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Should I really be picky about tires?

I did a couple trackdays on Michelin Pilot Roads. They were "okay" but they aren't tires I care to push the limits on as they simply don't offer the grip I've come to love about DOT race tires.

You will be fine on most anything but I agree that once you reach a certain pace you'll want the sticker tires. I personally won't put a number on that pace since every rider is different but I wouldn't say that 20's or faster is out of the question.

Almost every trackday goer (who doesn't race) can get away with a set of take-offs and be good for at least a couple of days. Compare the price tag of take-offs to new tires and the decision is simple. Some people have this figured out. Most weeks, my tires are sold before they come off the bike. Look at it this way; The cost difference in new tires versus take-offs is close to if not more then a cost of an actual trackday.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.508 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Quote Originally Posted by BSR6
    So after hearing all this talk about tires and what tire is better etc I can't help but wonder...From the view of someone who only does a few trackdays a year and mostly rides on the street, is it really worth all this analysis? I was told (this may not be accurate its just what I heard) that any DOT tire will be just fine until you get roughly below 1:20 for lap times. I am nowhere near that, and frankly thats pretty fast for someone who just does a few track days a year. That being said, why should I care what tires I put on my bike?

My rule is stick with a reputable tire/name (michelin, conti, dunlop, pirelli etc)and just go with whatever the best deals are on. I have been running Contis cause they are cheap and seem to last longer. Will I really notice a difference going to a better tire when I am in the high 1:20's for lap times? Does anyone agree that any sport bike tire will be just fine down to a 1:20 lap time?
    Are you talking dot race or dot street? Also, wondering why you would use the term "better" when referring to tires to replace your contis? Contis aren't a "budget brand". Continental are pricing them a little cheaper than other racve brands in order to entice people to try them. They work as well as any brand. Different folks like different feel from their tires. Settle on what is right for you. For mostly street with a few track days, any major brand supersport tire will be more than adequate well into the low 20s lap times.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.508 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Are you talking dot race or dot street? Also, wondering why you would use the term "better" when referring to tires to replace your contis? Contis aren't a "budget brand". Continental are pricing them a little cheaper than other racve brands in order to entice people to try them. They work as well as any brand. Different folks like different feel from their tires. Settle on what is right for you. For mostly street with a few track days, any major brand supersport tire will be more than adequate well into the low 20s lap times.
    I agree, Continentals are good tires, after i go through my Pilot Pures i will be going to continental, i have done alot of research on continental and they make a kick ass tire at a pretty fair price in comparison. The BMW S1000RR comes with Continentals, now to me that is saying something about continental.

Corey

The contis do seem to be great tires, I am not hacking them at all. I just don't have experience with anything else. Essentially my question is should I try something else or am I not at that level of skill for it to matter? I am basically referring to street DOT's not track specific tires that meet DOT standards. Based on the feedback I have gotten so far it sounds like I will be fine with the Contis, and that essentially answers my question since my primary concern is grip. When I start getting faster I will reconsider but I don't see myself running below 1:20 anytime soon.

Take offs are a great idea but I use my bike for both street and track so I need tires that will do double duty and be good in the rain. I can't swap rubber every time I have a track day, I am not really equipped for that.

Last edited by BSR6; 06-16-10 at 03:36 PM.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (Instinct: Mozilla/4.1 (U; BREW 3.1.5; en-US; Teleca/Q05A/INT))

Ive ridden on the track on lots of bikes with lots of tires.
    i personally like dunlop, that doesnt mean i dont think other tires are good. i have 2CTs on my 1k streetbike which work very well on the track AND street. i rode jims bike with the contis and i didnt even notice them. to me they felt similar to the dunlops. i dony like pirellis, the carcass is just too soft for me and i get too much movement (or "feel") while i dont feel out of control, they just dont fit my riding style.
    idk how the contis hold up doing double duty (track/street) but i know that the mich 2CTs do well. if the contis work for you then stick with them. you cant put a specific lap time on when you should opt for a more "race" tire (or slicks).
    i was doing mid 25s on jim gsxr with conti DOTs and degsy went faster than that. theres plenty of racers doing 15s or lower on DOTs so get that out of your head.
    ride what you like/ what feels good

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01
    Wirelessly posted (Instinct: Mozilla/4.1 (U; BREW 3.1.5; en-US; Teleca/Q05A/INT))

Ive ridden on the track on lots of bikes with lots of tires.
    i personally like dunlop, that doesnt mean i dont think other tires are good. i have 2CTs on my 1k streetbike which work very well on the track AND street. i rode jims bike with the contis and i didnt even notice them. to me they felt similar to the dunlops. i dony like pirellis, the carcass is just too soft for me and i get too much movement (or "feel") while i dont feel out of control, they just dont fit my riding style.
    idk how the contis hold up doing double duty (track/street) but i know that the mich 2CTs do well. if the contis work for you then stick with them. you cant put a specific lap time on when you should opt for a more "race" tire (or slicks).
    i was doing mid 25s on jim gsxr with conti DOTs and degsy went faster than that. theres plenty of racers doing 15s or lower on DOTs so get that out of your head.
    ride what you like/ what feels good
    When he said DOT he was referring to street legal tires not a race DOT. I doubt there are many guys doing 15s on regular street tires.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

race DOTs ARE street legal...thats why they are called DOTs

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

"Budeep a bubba"

Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    The BMW S1000RR comes with Continentals, now to me that is saying something about continental.
    It might just be saying that BMW has a relationship with Continental or they don't suck ...

I used to drive a 2003 M3 that came with Conti's. Some M3s came with Contis, some with Michelin. They were both decent tires. People who ordered M3s at the time sort of prayed they'd come across with Michelins. I don't think the fact that the S1000RR has them means they are better or worse than comparable tires from other brands.

I just did my first two track days at NH. Did the first one on the original "squared off from the street" qualifiers and the second on Q2s. I liked the Q2s better, but maybe just because they were new and the rear was a 190 55 instead of the 50 my CBR came with.

My logic in choosing was that I wanted something with good grip for the track that would still be grippy at my newbie pace and I would still get some respectable street miles on, would be ok if things got wet or cold, etc. I was going to get the Pilot Pures but couldn't get them in time because they were back ordered. Turns out I saved the better part of $100 by going with the Q2s and I would definitely buy them again.

I'm way too inexperienced to give a "qualified" opinion on how good they are, but I did like the feedback they gave the couple of times I was a little too fast in turn 9 and felt the front sliding a bit.

I guess I'll see how they last on the street, but now that I've done the track thing that's where I'd rather ride....

Normal street tires will do fine well into the 1:20's

I've done 2 track days on BT-016 which is right along the lines as all the tires u listed. they get bashed by some people but i love them. My last track day i was running steady 1:29's even got a 1:27.9 on them with no real traction issues. They would try and slip a bit coming over T4 if i gave it to much gas but i think that's just how that corner is.

i'm going to stick with street tires till i lose my confidence in them cause once that happens it not good.

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride