Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Q3's for track duty

Q3's for track duty

Yeah, I know this is completely personal preference, but I've been out of the track game for a couple years and wouldn't mind to hear a few opinions.

I have a nearly brand new set of Q3's on the SV right now.

I have an old set of race tires on my spare rims.

I'm doing two track days so far this year. I'm used to running race tires and warmers.

I'm an ex racer.

I tear plenty of ass down at Deal's Gap with Q3's, but that's street riding. It's not track.

I'm considering using the Q3's for trackday duty this year. I'm a "enjoy clawing back after straights intermediate" or "move over on straights" advanced rider.

Will I miss the extra traction of the full race tire? Am I underestimating the modern street tire ability?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Re: Q3's for track duty

I have a set of Q3s mounted on my rain wheels at the moment.
    I actually spent the morning on Tuesday running Ntec slicks and swapped over to the Q3s at lunch.
    The thought was to scrub them in so that they're not still shiny if I need them for an intermediate wet tire.
    I've been through a bunch of sets of Q3s over the years, with a bunch of track time on them, but have run nothing but Ntec slicks for the last few years. I was wondering what to expect going into Tuesday afternoon.
    I was really happy with them in the dry. Ample grip and feedback. They squirmed a bit over pavement transitions and seams, but no big moments to speak of.
    I think you'll be happy with them. Is there a difference between the Q3s and the slicks? Of course. Did I back off a bit on the Q3s? Yep, a bit. Did I feel like I was right at their limit? Not really.
    I left them mounted and if the forecast is dry for my next day I'll seriously consider just leaving them on...
    YMMV as always.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Should be pretty good on an SV. Kerry uses the Pirelli equivalent and has no issues. THey last all season too.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

I ran Q3's for the first year and a half when I got back on a bike. They were super super impressive, until I got faster, then I would overheat them in a couple laps almost on command on a middleweight. That pace was black group in Tony's. If I recall correctly, it was actually the front that I would feel start to overheat first.

They gave a ton of feel, I always knew what was going on with them. Overall, they're a fantastic tire and really affordable but no replacement for race rubber.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 05-17-18 at 10:03 AM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

I wouldn’t hesitate to run the Q3s at all. They have new versions more track specific called the q3+ and the q4 now as well.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I'm used to running race tires and warmers.
    I believe I was right behind you the last time you didn't use warmers on race rubber LOL

Yup. So much for that. Those things were ROCKS.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I'm in the same boat as you but bought S21's. Figure I'll shake the cobwebs off and see how far they get me. Since it's only a track day I can always slow down and work on improving myself if need be. I'm sure I picked up some bad habits from street riding.