Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Race compound tire options

Re: Race compound tire options

I can find you a podium full of whichever tire brand you like - I'm with Mike...riders take podiums.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Seeing as this is degrading to silly land - Bridgestones! Contingency for EVERYONE.

The new V02 slicks are getting awesome reviews, but unfortunately are only available in 120 front, 200 rear so I haven't tried a set yet.
    Where the hell do you buy these? None of the google hits bring up an online store that seems to be in the US.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    sc1 vs sc2 is not the issue I think all Pirellis are back ordered. I'm wondering if conti/other brands are an option.

What's the difference between us ntecs and UK? Why do the UK ones cost almost 2x?
    In years past I think there was a difference between the UK and US tires, but now that they've been manufacturing them in the US for a while now I believe the US now has their process and formulation consistent with what is done in the UK so that the difference is small to non-existent.

The UK tires have to be shipped here, stored in a warehouse, sent to distributors and every time someone touches the tires they have to be paid. I'm told that's the primary difference in price.

Where the hell do you buy these? None of the google hits bring up an online store that seems to be in the US.
    You'd have to get them through a Bridgestone race tire vendor and AFAIK they are still VERY limited quantities so far. It's a new tire for this year, seeing more exposure in europe than here based on what I can dredge up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dove View Post
    I can find you a podium full of whichever tire brand you like - I'm with Mike...riders take podiums.
    OK, then lets see you or anyone win a race on some Shinkos......then tell me tires don't matter

Bahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    OK, then lets see you or anyone win a race on some Shinkos......then tell me tires don't matter

Bahahaha
    Ricky Gadson - Racing on Shinkos since 2013, he's set records on them.

Ricky Gadson - Racing on Shinkos since 2013, he's set records on them.
    Drag racing is no way near road racing......FYI

Does Shinko even have a road race tire? It was a silly comparison to begin with.

LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    Drag racing is no way near road racing......FYI
    You didn't specify a particular format.

Quote Originally Posted by BMMCBR View Post
    Does Shinko even have a road race tire? It was a silly comparison to begin with.
    http://www.shinkotireusa.com/tire/008-race (Short course / track day slick)

vs

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/tires/sport-bike/drag-race (Dedicated drag tires)

Last edited by Kurlon; 08-19-14 at 11:30 AM.

There is a road racer winning out west on shinko's - no bs.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

xxaarraa

OK, here's an update. Mike @ MTAG tried his best, but couldn't get me the Pirellis (neither Supercorsa V2s nor Superbike Pros) by when I need them. So I went back to Dunlops and ordered the GP-A Pros - 7455/8477 which I am told is the rough equivalent of the SC1 front and SC2 rear.

I spoke to the folks at race tire service and they elaborated on the history - UK was Dunlop's main R&D/manufacturing center so UK tires were better for many years. But now UK plant has closed and production/development has moved to US and France (street tires). Current US Ntecs and GP-A Pros are as good/better than UK spec tires (or so they claim). Current US Ntec slicks as well as GP-A Pros are exactly the same tire, one is a slick one is a DOT. The UK 195, US 200 and US 190 are all the same exact profile - renamed supposedly for marketing reasons (600 guys feel better about a 190 and 1000 guys feel better about a 200). The GP-A pros are supposedly bi-directional and can be flipped. But I flip the Pirellis anyway.

We shall see.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 08-19-14 at 02:00 PM.

new GP-A Pro rear can be flipped. front cannot. the GP-A Pro is a better tire than the US NTEC, if you're talking about DOTs.
    i dont know anyone with experience on the slicks

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by BMMCBR View Post
    My sumo wheels came with a set of Shinko slicks. I think they are the 008's Kurlon linked. I haven't had the balls to try them yet. Guy I bought them from was building a race bike.. until shit happened. He was out west.

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/tire/008-race (Short course / track day slick)
    From the Shinko website- "Great alternative to questionable takeoffs". Soo, I'm guessing these sell for between free and $50???

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

I used both the US and UK ntec slicks on my KTM. I think the UK tires felt a little better, and the rear seemed to wear much better. My bike came with the UK tires, I wouldn't have spent the money to try them otherwise. I run the US tires now.

You know the bike should be set up differently going from pirelli to dunlop...

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    new GP-A Pro rear can be flipped. front cannot. the GP-A Pro is a better tire than the US NTEC, if you're talking about DOTs.
    i dont know anyone with experience on the slicks
    Dunlop guy said they are the same tire as the 211 with a different tread pattern to be flipped. Not that that's bad, just different.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

I won't join in on the "my tire is better than your tire" debate; my opinion is obviously biased. However, lots of stuff being said here is wrong, some is right, so I'll weigh in on those things:

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    I ran pirellis SC2 front and rear this weekend and did a new PB by one second...

SC1 vs SC2 should even feel different unless you are turning sub 16s IMO...
    Correct. A handful of riders in New England can FEEL a difference between the compounds.

sc1 vs sc2 is not the issue I think all Pirellis are back ordered.
    This is 100% incorrect. While some compounds have been unavailable at certain times(typically for a week or two, while they are in transit to the US), there is no truth to "all Pirellis are back ordered." If there is...I'd better let Tony know NOT to expect a tractor trailer next week.

Quote Originally Posted by GingahNinjah View Post
    Pirelli/MTAG should be at the track the weekend of the 30th and should have your tires there for you and can mount and balance them right there. Pirelli FTW!!!
    This is correct(thanks B-Funk), but unfortunately the OP needs them just prior to that.

You guys love debating Pirelli/Dunlop!
    This is also correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    look at the podiums dominated by Dunlop.
    Pirelli may be a better tire, but they're more $, dont last as long, and dont pay contingency.
    Hmmm....sort of.

More money? The Dunlop GP-A is $25 less per set, the Dunlop D212 is $65 more per set than our Diablo Supercorsa V2 DOT race tire. That's out flagship DOT, I'm not sure which one Dunlop touts as their best. We do have a low cost alternative also; the V1 Supercorsa at over $100 less than the V2 per set. These prices are all off the local vendors websites, and assume a MW bike. Your "deal" may vary.

Don't last as long? Only going on feedback I've gotten, riders running a range from 14's to 20's who recently switched from Dunlop 212 to Pirelli V2 Supercorsa tell me the Pirelli last longer; I don't believe they are telling me this to sell me on them. Your results may vary, of course.
    Correct. If Wood, Greenwood and Cronin started running Shinkos...they'd still be finishing where they are.

Don't pay contingency? 100% correct. 2-3 years back, Pirelli made a decison(meaning Pirelli, not us locally) that it was better to keep pricing lower(2008 levels) across the board, rather than continue a cash paying contingency program. Personally; I'm glad. I think it allows us to serve a larger segment of customers at a better price point, but I do recognize that some guys will follow the money. We haven't had riders get into contingency paying position, then switch, and stay in that position(that I am aware of).

Better tire? Thanks Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    You know the bike should be set up differently going from pirelli to dunlop...
    Also true, somewhat, but I'd defer to Kates on this. We have had some pretty quick riders(1:17-1:20) make the change, make no changes, and go as fast or faster.

What does a set of V2s at the track cost 160/120?

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    What does a set of V2s at the track cost 160/120?
    http://www.gomtag.com/product/14662&...8B2CC/name.htm

Looks like 185 rear and 190 front.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12