Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

rearset - height adjustments

Eatibus almost anythingus Marc R's Avatar

rearset - height adjustments

I finally decided that rearsets at their highest setting and a low seat with my long legs isn't the best setup; my elbow and leg are bumping into each other. Is there more to consider than comfort and peg scraping? Should the rearsets be adjusted as low (ie. for comfort) as possible without scraping?

They are woodscraft rearsets on a 749, mostly at NHMS and occasionally NJMP.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Marc R; 08-22-12 at 02:03 PM.

Re: rearset - height adjustments

I would adjust them down for comfort. Unless youre runnin 12's Im gonna bet scraping aint gonna happen. I have woodcraft rearsets for the sole reason of grip. Ducati's stock rearsets are as slippery as Oreo on a friday night...

I was killing my stock pegs at the last trackday. I just added some adjustable risers and I went almost all the way up and back. But, I don't want to push it like yourself because of my long legs. I've been thinking of refoaming the seat and adding and inch. I don't even know if they will be high enough in their new position.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Lifetime Motorcyclist Woodcraft's Avatar

Rearsets should be as high as they need to be without scraping. If you are taller, then I'd lower them down and test it out. A small adjustment can make a really big difference. Back when I had bad knees, I would add 1/2" to my seat foam (because I could not drop the pegs without dragging them) and that was a world of difference....just an idea for you.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll lower the rearsets one setting at a time and try them out for a few sessions. I hadn't thought about adding seat foam. Once I'm convinced about the rearset adjustment is correct for me, then I'll look into seat foam (adjusting one parameter at a time).

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    I would adjust them down for comfort. Unless youre runnin 12's Im gonna bet scraping aint gonna happen. I have woodcraft rearsets for the sole reason of grip. Ducati's stock rearsets are as slippery as Oreo on a friday night...
    Stock Ducati foot pegs in the rain only have a little more grip than standing on a bar of soap in the shower.

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    I was killing my stock pegs at the last trackday. I just added some adjustable risers and I went almost all the way up and back. But, I don't want to push it like yourself because of my long legs. I've been thinking of refoaming the seat and adding and inch. I don't even know if they will be high enough in their new position.
    I'll be tinkering with the rearsets for a while before I do seat adjustments. I'm curious how these adjustments work out for you, keep me posted. Appreciate the feedback from someone with a similar problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodcraft View Post
    Rearsets should be as high as they need to be without scraping. If you are taller, then I'd lower them down and test it out. A small adjustment can make a really big difference. Back when I had bad knees, I would add 1/2" to my seat foam (because I could not drop the pegs without dragging them) and that was a world of difference....just an idea for you.
    This is very helpful, thanks. I'll keep it to one small change at a time.

Ducati's stock rearsets are as slippery as Oreo on a friday night...

Quote Originally Posted by Woodcraft View Post
    Back when I had bad knees, I would add 1/2" to my seat foam (because I could not drop the pegs without dragging them) and that was a world of difference....just an idea for you.
    For anyone racing or doing lots of trackdays, this would be my recommendation if you are going pretty quick. Nothing I hate more than touching down a non-folding peg!

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

lap time has nothing to do with scraping a peg. I did it a few times this past weekend and only ran a few 19s. its all lean angle so body position plays a big part.

Lightbulb Re: rearset - height adjustments

I did 2 things back in the day on Production CBR F2 that worked out really well for me ..... Idk if it'll help or upset the handling of your bike too much ??? As this really helped the turn in on my bike !!!! .....

My stock shifter and foot peg were grinding out big time only in 6 ..... So I added about 1" of ride height to the rear shock and let the tarmac do the rest of the work by grinding them off to the point of perfection ...

Hey ..., it may not work for everybody ... But it sure did for me !!!

Quote Originally Posted by BackMarker-943 View Post
    I did 2 things back in the day on Production CBR F2 that worked out really well for me ..... Idk if it'll help or upset the handling of your bike too much ??? As this really helped the turn in on my bike !!!! .....

My stock shifter and foot peg were grinding out big time only in 6 ..... So I added about 1" of ride height to the rear shock and let the tarmac do the rest of the work by grinding them off to the point of perfection ...

Hey ..., it may not work for everybody ... But it sure did for me !!!
    With the time, money, and technology going into dialing in suspension, blindly raising the ride height an inch is not a feasible option.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    With the time, money, and technology going into dialing in suspension, blindly raising the ride height an inch is not a feasible option.
    I'm not try'n be a jerk ..., so please help me understand !!!

Why not mess with it ???
    I mean .., you won't know what it will do till you try it ..., yes ??? If it doesn't work .., you simply go back down to where you where ..

If your not 100% sure of what it will do to the bikes handling .., then start with a 1/2 or even 1/4 inch ..., then either add more or less if needed ..

If you truly know your bike and are at the perfect settings for it ..., and you go mess'n with ride height ..., you should know with in 2 or 3 laps if it is or isn't gonna work ... No ????
    I usually start off by riding at a comfortable pace and wicking it up or backing off if feel that it is or isn't working for me ...

Last edited by BackMarker-943; 09-06-12 at 04:24 PM.

Do you have any pictures too look at? Are you sure it's a rear set problem and not poor body position? I was under the impression woodcrafts are what .75 up and back. I'm not talking shit cause I'm the slow guy at track days but I've never touched a toe let alone a peg.

Quote Originally Posted by BackMarker-943 View Post

Why not mess with it ???
    I mean .., you won't know what it will do till you try it ..., yes ??? If it doesn't work .., you simply go back down to where you where ..

If your not 100% sure of what it will do to the bikes handling .., then start with a 1/2 or even 1/4 inch ..., then either add more or less if needed ..

If you truly know your bike and are at the perfect settings for it ..., and you go mess'n with ride height ..., you should know with in 2 or 3 laps if it is or isn't gonna work ... No ????
    I usually start off by riding at a comfortable pace and wicking it up or backing off if feel that it is or isn't working for me ...

- - - Updated - - -

Why not mess with it ???

I don't think he was saying don't change this just don't go as drastic as an inch. last year PK raised my bike an inch in the rear but that's because it was so far off to begin with. But he also measured it first to get the correct numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    Do you have any pictures too look at? Are you sure it's a rear set problem and not poor body position? I was under the impression woodcrafts are what .75 up and back. I'm not talking shit cause I'm the slow guy at track days but I've never touched a toe let alone a peg.
    Very good question. No contest, my body position needs work. The problem is my elbow and leg are bumping into each other; peg scraping is not a concern.

Not me but useful for comparison: click here for a picture to #414 in T9 This looks flawless to me. Don't know who is #414, but good job!

Recent picture of me in the same corner (T9 my favorite): click here for a picture of me in T9
    My inside elbow position tells me a couple of things. Its distance to my inside knee shows my upper body should be more forward. Also, my elbow is higher than the inside grip. I'm pressing down on the bar somewhat, which isn't as quick/precise turning as what #414 is doing.

That inside leg is pointing too far outside. Should it be pointing toward the apex? All feedback is welcomed.

Your not even close to grinding a peg in that pic Marc .... What turn are you scraping in ?

Can you push the bars out a bit further ?? Or does it feel too weird to do that ?

Keep in mind that was my nice way of asking if you ride crooked as shit. I'm not an expert on anything or even particularly good at riding just over the years I've heard of and witnessed a lot of riders complaining of dragging toe/peg that pushed the bike to the ground but your head spine are definitely on the inside. Just for giggles the next time you are on track I'd measure the rear set height and compare it some other scoots.

Guys, my pegs aren't dragging.

My problem is my elbow and leg are bumping into each other.

I think I'm all set. The rearsets can drop a notch, they won't drag. Upper body more forward, inside leg not stretched out as far. If this doesn't cut it, adding foam to the seat comes next.

Last edited by Marc R; 09-06-12 at 08:49 PM. Reason: originally said "inside leg tucked-in" when I meant "not stretched out as far"

Quote Originally Posted by Marc R View Post
    Guys, my pegs aren't dragging.

My problem is my elbow and leg are bumping into each other.

I think I'm all set. The rearsets can drop a notch, they won't drag. Upper body more forward, inside leg tucked-in. If this doesn't cut it, adding foam to the seat comes next.
    inside leg should be stuck out not tucked in, I think you just typed that wrong cause the pic is right. Elbowz up like Spies used to do. they shouldn't touch then except when you tuck in on the straight but even there its not like its a long straight.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!