Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Required gear for trackdays?

Re: Required gear for trackdays?

There are new SMX-6 boots out this year as well, with somewhat better protection. I do wish sometimes I had paid a little more for the next step up Sidis than my Cobras--although they are roughly equivalent to the SMX-5 and they are comfortable enough to walk around in off the bike.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

Buy used.....chances are you will upgrade if you find yourself liking the track. Cost to do a track day gets a lot more expensive if you crash. So don't fucking crash.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Jim is really good at crashing so you should really listen to what has saved his ass.

But seriously Iove my astar boots. Both pair. They last forever, have awesome protection and are super comfortable.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by Lxpony View Post
    Buy used.....chances are you will upgrade if you find yourself liking the track. Cost to do a track day gets a lot more expensive if you crash. So don't fucking crash.
    I really hope I don't crash! It's my only bike so I'd rather not push my limits. I know that after 1 day I'll be thinking about the next trackday and getting a track only bike... or my SV becomes my track bike if I somehow decide to get another streetbike ha!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Jim is really good at crashing so you should really listen to what has saved his ass.

But seriously Iove my astar boots. Both pair. They last forever, have awesome protection and are super comfortable.
    What model boots?

I use the smx plus.

I'm really pissed I passed up the Gearne GP1 boots that were up for sale last week! I figured I'd prefer perforated and should do some research first, but it seems that was a mistake. I have some nice Gaerne MX boots that fit great so I was already leaning toward Gearne. Doesn't seem to be too many places selling them, though, so I wonder if they've been discontinued or slow sellers or what?

My right foot is a little wide. I've heard Sidi's run kinda narrow. Is that true?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    I use the smx plus.
    Ok, thanks. Those are near the top of my list right now.

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

Yea, sidis run narrow.

Go here for good gear cheap. Tell TJ I referred you

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=312589

The main difference between the expensive stuff and the cheap stuff is the look, the fit, the comfort and the details. Some of it will fall apart a little easier and will not last past a crash or two. If your looking at cheaper stuff just look for the same specs as the expensive stuff. Leather thickness, protective hard plastic parts. There's nothing magical about some thick leather and hard plastic, it's all got the same durability. An example of some cheap gloves I got, had stitching that stuck out on the inside and rubbed on your fingers. Uncomfortable, but they protect the same.

Some tests have even shown cheaper helmets protect better than more expensive ones. They also have the same standard ratings.

Last edited by Tunertype; 01-13-14 at 10:35 PM.

If you'd like to see the difference between cheap gear and good gear after a crash, ask to see my left hand some time.

Now, that's not to say you have to raid your 401k and the neighborhood kids' piggy banks just on a pair of socks, but there is something to be said that you get what you pay for.

On the glove front, I saw mention of Held. I'm on my second pair of Held Titans, their top end gloves. Solid units, but expensive. Phantoms are close to the same level of protection for a much nicer price tag. Helds are built like trucks, wear like iron, and take forever to break in. They are one of the few gloves that I'd be ok suggesting shopping for used pairs, let someone else's hands bulk up breaking them in, just as long as they aren't rashed up. I've crash tested the Titans, very pleased with their protection. Last season I also picked up a pair of Heroic SP2s, from what I can see they've got comparable protection as my Titans but the construction is such that out of the bag they feel broken in already. Starting with an already mangled left hand, plus a desk job surfing a keyboard all day, I don't have much hand strength to begin with so it was nice not having to work through an entire season waiting for them to allow me to move. Titan suggests a tight fit, basically start with the smallest size you can force your hand into, and let it mold to your hand. Heroic suggests a looser fit, if that matters to you.

I've managed to get away with the wrong boots for far too long, last season I corrected that. I ended up with a set of Forma Ice Flows from Heroic. I've got skinny chicken legs, the only Sidis I could get to fit were the absolute top of the line units which my budget wasn't ready for. The units below them don't have much calf adjustment. The Formas in the same price and protection tier have more adjustability in the calf which won me over. Toe box isn't as wide as I'd prefer, but it's not horrible and broke in fairly quickly after a couple weekends at the track. They're also quick to get into and out of.

I agree with the others on avoiding AStars leather gear, something about their stitching just isn't right. I've had gloves fall apart and watched seams on a friend's suit just pop from little hits.

You could always just show up for the first race weekend, you'll be able to hang out with the nutters and possibly score some deals on used or closeouts from racers and vendors.

Quote Originally Posted by stanga5o View Post
    My right foot is a little wide. I've heard Sidi's run kinda narrow. Is that true?
    Yep. I actually use a super thin pair of dress socks in my Sidi's or I feel like my foot is falling asleep. These are now my backup/rain boots.

I also use the Forma's that Heroic sells as my main boots now, and they fit a wide foot nicely.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tunertype View Post
    The main difference between the expensive stuff and the cheap stuff is the look, the fit, the comfort and the details. Some of it will fall apart a little easier and will not last past a crash or two.
    So if the cheaper gear will not get past a crash or two, the main difference is the look, fit, comfort and details? That assumes you don't get hurt when that gear does not hold up so I have to disagree. My first track day was done on a middle of the line AStars jacket and pants that zipped together. I got a good back protector (started with an AStars, now have a full custom chest and back protector from Impact Armor), good gloves (Astars), a great helmet (always an Arai) and boots (Astars as well....womens brand fits me perfectly and they don't squeak lol!). The leathers I started with were fine because I wasn't sure what my track progression would look like. I used them for a few years in racing and then upgraded to a custom Vanson.

The beauty of going out on the track now if that you have lots of middle ground to better choices than even 10 years ago. Good luck. Hope to see you out on the track!

What am I saying? Don't skimp too much, but you don't have to go top of the line with everything. My Astars leathers handled a few crashes well and could be fixed and still used now.

You can take the girl outta Jersey.....

USCRA #75
    Street- 03 Suzuki SV650
    Track- 71 Honda CB350

FWIW Held has put their US distribution on hold for the time being. They were incredibly unreliable and were unable to fulfill US retailer orders. Until Held finds a replacement or reorganizes, the US retailers will not be resupplied. No saying if it is going to take weeks or months, but if you are shopping for Held you will see almost everything is out of stock right now.

EDIT: This has nothing to do with Held's operation; they have absolute top notch stuff and are incredibly technical. I think it was more of an issue with the guys they hired in the US to take care of us.

Last edited by mell0; 01-14-14 at 07:29 AM.
    -Andy

2013 Triumph Bonneville

Something else to realize is that some manufacturers have different "levels" of product... and sadly, some of their lower end products are not up to par.

This is why it's tough to just say "A stars" are good - or not good. Certainly when you see a pro rider wearing Astars on T.V., you can be sure they are wearing the top of the line and it is going to hold up.

Other manufacturers - especially the smaller ones (Heroic, Vanson, Syed, to name a few) - don't have the low end stuff.

Bottom line - be sure you are comparing apples to apples when comparing prices.

This is not to say you can't get something for less that will work just fine, either.

Just be an informed consumer and understand the differences (such as leather type, thickness / stitching material and type of stitch / type and quality and quantity of armor / ventilation? / liner? etc, etc).

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by TTD; 01-14-14 at 07:39 AM.
    Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Lifer

I have done very well shopping closeouts and used gear from this very site.

I agree with Kurlon re: glove fit. I bought some shorties from Heroic this summer that are too big. They were comfortable right out of the bag but have loosened up. Buy a tight fit and expect the leather or 'roo to stretch.

My track day gloves were a 2nd hand pickup. They are nicely broken in and extremely comfortable. Although it is somewhat dumb luck that the PO seemed to have the same sized hands as I.

Every year I try to reinvest in gear. This year I plan on picking up a custom form chest protector. Eventually I plan to replace the off-the shelf back protector with the same. But not this year.

Last edited by nhbubba; 01-14-14 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunertype View Post
    The main difference between the expensive stuff and the cheap stuff is the look, the fit, the comfort and the details. Some of it will fall apart a little easier and will not last past a crash or two. If your looking at cheaper stuff just look for the same specs as the expensive stuff. Leather thickness, protective hard plastic parts. There's nothing magical about some thick leather and hard plastic, it's all got the same durability. An example of some cheap gloves I got, had stitching that stuck out on the inside and rubbed on your fingers. Uncomfortable, but they protect the same.

Some tests have even shown cheaper helmets protect better than more expensive ones. They also have the same standard ratings.

An entire forum of experienced racers telling the OP to spend the money on good gear... And one asshat telling him that the extra money is just for looks...

See the problem here???

Quote Originally Posted by jerseygirl View Post
    So if the cheaper gear will not get past a crash or two, the main difference is the look, fit, comfort and details? That assumes you don't get hurt when that gear does not hold up so I have to disagree. My first track day was done on a middle of the line AStars jacket and pants that zipped together. I got a good back protector (started with an AStars, now have a full custom chest and back protector from Impact Armor), good gloves (Astars), a great helmet (always an Arai) and boots (Astars as well....womens brand fits me perfectly and they don't squeak lol!). The leathers I started with were fine because I wasn't sure what my track progression would look like. I used them for a few years in racing and then upgraded to a custom Vanson.

The beauty of going out on the track now if that you have lots of middle ground to better choices than even 10 years ago. Good luck. Hope to see you out on the track!

What am I saying? Don't skimp too much, but you don't have to go top of the line with everything. My Astars leathers handled a few crashes well and could be fixed and still used now.

Yea... this guy is a self proclaimed expert, on everything.

Lifer

$400 AGV suits: linky

I'll buy the best quality gear I can afford/justify. The fact is that I've been riding without motorcycle specific pants or boots (nor back protector or gauntlet style gloves) for the last 2 seasons so even entry level gear would provide more protection. I'm not saying my choices were the best, but fortunately I didn't have any crashes without good gear.

Since I plan to try some trackdays, I imagine I'll be pushing myself more than I would on the street, and it would be nice knowing I have gear should I go down.

I've also heard about tests/studies done showing that some supposedly top of the line helmets do not provide as good of protection as a cheaper helmet. IIRC, this was due to the materials chosen: the top of the line helmets were designed for a certain type of crash, whereas the "inferior" helmets actually absorbed more impact in real situations. There was an article that mentioned that the Snell rating (which had been adopted by many organizations) actually wasn't always best, and that the ECE (? European standard) or DOT may actually be better standards for most people. I know this doesn't necessarily apply to boots, gloves, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    $400 AGV suits: linky
    Can anyone speak to the quality/protection of any of these suits? I'm a little surprised by how inexpensive they are..

I'll buy the best quality gear I can afford/justify.
    That is your best plan.

My advice is don't skimp on the helmet (go new always) but don't be afraid to go used on boots, gloves, suits and armor. Find the highest quality/condition on used items you can find/afford. No crashed gloves though.

Holy shit. Bergs said something worth reading!

Lifer

Can anyone speak to the quality/protection of any of these suits? I'm a little surprised by how inexpensive they are..
    I cannot speak to this brand or the suit.

I paid almost half that for a different brand suit from STG a couple years ago. I have crashed twice and my skin was not touched either time. The point I think many were trying to make is that it isn't what you pay for the gear that makes it quality. Do your research. Weigh your options and priorities. Then make a judgement call just like the rest of us.

Lifer

My policy on helmets. Fit >>> most everything else. But I won't buy a plastic (poly) helmet.
    (Although I did for the dirt. Meh, I'm a hypocrite. You knew that, right?)

I don't believe that it has to say Arai to work.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    My policy on helmets. Fit >>> most everything else. But I won't buy a plastic (poly) helmet.
    (Although I did for the dirt. Meh, I'm a hypocrite. You knew that, right?)

I don't believe that it has to say Arai to work.
    I agree that the fit is most important for a helmet. My first helmet was a poly, but my newer one is Kevlar/fiberglass I believe. At some point I think expensive helmets aren't any more protective, but may be more comfortable, quieter, better visors...

I started in AGV's 2004/2005 $400 suit. I still have it. Built decently, it lacks padding/protection compared to higher tier suits. Mine's been heavily abused, repaired, and abused some more. If they're still made to the same standards, they'd be the minimum I'd suggest for trackdays or racing. I'd highly recommend augmenting the padding with body armor, sliding shorts, etc. You'll want a back protector as well as the included one is just a light piece of foam.

Required gear for trackdays?-bike-lawn-leathers-jpg

Last edited by Kurlon; 01-14-14 at 06:33 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast