Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Required gear for trackdays?

Re: Required gear for trackdays?

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post
    An entire forum of experienced racers telling the OP to spend the money on good gear... And one asshat telling him that the extra money is just for looks...

See the problem here???

Yea... this guy is a self proclaimed expert, on everything.
    It usually seems people justify the cost because they spent the money on it. As long as it's got the same zippers, the same stitching and the same materials and thickness, there is no difference in protection between a $2500 suit and a $200 suit. Now you have to actually look at the product. There are some full length motorcycle sport boots that don't have any hard plastic parts like $300 boots, but there are $75-$100 boots that do have the hard plastic parts. Don't get the $50 soft boots, do get the $75 hard plastic boots. Only get the $300 boots if you want to spend money and look cool, but they don't protect better.

I've crash tested my $15 back protector, $20 gloves, $70 boots, $350 suit and $75 helmet 3 times on the track with 0 injuries. The stitching on the gloves eventually started to loosen up and they got holes worn in them after continued use so those have been retired for another set of $20 gloves. The screws that held on the hard plastic parts to the boots snapped on the last crash on the boots and the soles got a gash in it that went half way into the material so those have also been retired. The boots were replaced with $150 boots because they are also waterproof otherwise it would have been $100 boots. The helmet has also been retired as it should after a crash no matter how expensive. Since helmets have standard safety ratings and materials you are guaranteed the same protection in a $75-$150(fiberglass shell, snell 2010) helmet as a $1000 helmet.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

There are some that insist that plastic bits on boots does not make the boot safer. There are some that feel that thick leather or other reinforcements are mo' bettah.

I don't happen to agree. All my boots are clad with a shit ton of plastic. But it doesn't make them wrong.

YMMV. Happy hunting new guy. Weigh in with what conclusions you come to. We'll be sure and tell you how wrong you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunertype View Post
    Since helmets have standard safety ratings and materials you are guaranteed the same protection in a $75-$150(fiberglass shell, snell 2010) helmet as a $1000 helmet.
    You are guaranteed a minimum performance. Actual performance may vary, though admittedly, may not correlate with price.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    You are guaranteed a minimum performance. Actual performance may vary, though admittedly, may not correlate with price.
    http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/ is an awesome resource for comparing energy absorption of different helmets.

On the gear cost front, I gambled once on lower cost gear and can now tell the weather before I open my eyes and get out of bed. I cannot recommend going down that road to anyone with a good conscious. I'm not saying you have to buy the absolute most expensive gear out there, but I guarantee you there is a reason that 'looks the same' stuff is priced lower and may carry a brand you've never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    I spoke about this with a helmet tester from a well known helmet testing organization the other week. He stated that the thicker the EPS is, almost always the better the helmet performs in crash testing. There was also a huge difference in results from a polycarb shell to a fiberglass/composite/carbon shell, but other than that, EPS thickness was the deciding factor.

Unfortunately, nobody likes the bobblehead look these days with a large helmet, so companies are trying harder and harder to make the EPS layers as thin as possible while still passing the safety minimums.

Last edited by mell0; 01-15-14 at 07:40 AM.
    -Andy

2013 Triumph Bonneville

Figured I'd give an update and share my excitement. I just ordered Alpinestars GP Plus pants and Supertech R boots. I recently tried on the SMX-5 and SMX Plus boots and the SMX-5 felt so cheap and unprotected compared to the SMX Plus, not to mention less comfortable. I was planning on getting the SMX Plus, but ultimately decided to spend the extra $75 for the Supertechs based on how much everyone raves about them and now much I value functioning feet/ankles.

I'll probably pick up the Bionic Air back protector soon also.

So that just leaves some new gloves and I should be ready for a track day this year!!

Last edited by stanga5o; 02-18-14 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stanga5o View Post
    So that just leaves some new gloves and I should be ready for a track day this year!!
    Do you know your glove size? I rotate my gear regularly and have some gloves available. They are all size 10.5 to 11

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Quote Originally Posted by TTD View Post
    Do you know your glove size? I rotate my gear regularly and have some gloves available. They are all size 10.5 to 11
    Thanks, but I think those are too big for me. I run a large in Teknic, the Astars I've tried on were X-Large, and the charts say I'm a 9 in Held..

Thanks, but I think those are too big for me. I run a large in Teknic, the Astars I've tried on were X-Large, and the charts say I'm a 9 in Held..
    That doesn't jive...

I'm typically and 11, and wear a Large (albeit a bit tight) in A*

I'm an 11 in HELD - and either an 11 or 12 in Heroic's ... not sure if there is an L or XL designation too?

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

I'm an 11 in HELD - and either an 11 or 12 in Heroic's ... not sure if there is an L or XL designation too?
    Whatcha' got Tony? I could use some new gloves. And a pre-broken in, non crashed, set doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Whatcha' got Tony? I could use some new gloves. And a pre-broken in, non crashed, set doesn't sound like a bad idea.
    A pair of Helds. Bought them as a backup but they don't match my new colors - and I'm all about how I look?

They are buried in my trailer now, but hit me up at any LRRS/Trackday and I'll show them to you. They are black/red.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

A pair of Helds. Bought them as a backup but they don't match my new colors - and I'm all about how I look?

They are buried in my trailer now, but hit me up at any LRRS/Trackday and I'll show them to you. They are black/red.
    10-4

That doesn't jive...

I'm typically and 11, and wear a Large (albeit a bit tight) in A*
    I've tried on 2 different pairs of Alpinestar gloves and both times the Large was too tight. My Teknic Chicanes are Large and fit great. According to the Held size chart (Revzilla?) I would be a size 9 which is equivalent to a Large, although I haven't tried Helds on so I can't comment on fit with those.

I'm not sure how you can fit into an Astar Large if you wear a Held 11, but maybe those model gloves fits differently than the ones I tried..

As with any sort of apparel/gear, each manufacturer (and within each manufacturer's product range) there's a lot of variation in sizing.

Had to return both pants and boots for next size up. The pants weren't even close; I couldn't get them zipped (first time that's ever happened to me...). Pants are still snug, but I think a few rides should break them in nice. The Supertech R boots are simply awesome! I tried on the SMX Plus again because I was second guessing it, but they didn't feel as snug or comfortable. Can't wait to try these on the bike.

Also, I returned the Astars Bionic Air back protector because I realized it was only level 1 CE certified. I got the Forcefield L2k and the quality and construction appear much better.

Last, but not least, I ordered the Held Phantom 2 gloves since Revzilla just got a fresh shipment. Should get them tomorrow! I kind of want to compare to the Jerez, but if the Helds fit perfect I'll just stick with them.

So, NESR: I took all your advice and bought good gear! The bike upgrades will have to wait..

Listening to people on here more times than not end up in me opening my wallet But while we are on topic of gear anybody wear any heroic suits/gear? I was really impressed by Todd and his skill with a sewing machine when he patched up my Astars suit, but its a 2 pc and I'm shopping around for a good 1 pc. I also like supporting the local guys as much as I can and his dedication to the sport being at nearly every event is even more impressive. What are your likes/don't likes about his suits?

If I ever buy another suit it'll be a Heroic. Lightweight, comfortable and amazing track side support.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Are they Phantoms? I could use a new pair of gloves,
    black and red will match my new suit.

Quote Originally Posted by burnham View Post
    Are they Phantoms? I could use a new pair of gloves,
    black and red will match my new suit.
    Yes, I believe they are. They will be at the April races/trackday in NH. Not sure where Noel stands on them anymore?

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Yes, I believe they are. They will be at the April races/trackday in NH. Not sure where Noel stands on them anymore?
    If someone takes them, so be it. They are the wrong color for me, but I would grab them for a redunkulous deal.

Certainly don't hold them for me if you have an opportunity to sell them to someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave603 View Post
    Listening to people on here more times than not end up in me opening my wallet But while we are on topic of gear anybody wear any heroic suits/gear? I was really impressed by Todd and his skill with a sewing machine when he patched up my Astars suit, but its a 2 pc and I'm shopping around for a good 1 pc. I also like supporting the local guys as much as I can and his dedication to the sport being at nearly every event is even more impressive. What are your likes/don't likes about his suits?
    I'm wearing his gloves and love them so far. I loved my Held Titans but dammmmmm to they take awhile to break in.

If someone takes them, so be it. They are the wrong color for me, but I would grab them for a redunkulous deal.

Certainly don't hold them for me if you have an opportunity to sell them to someone.
    Sounds good.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Had to return both pants and boots for next size up. The pants weren't even close; I couldn't get them zipped (first time that's ever happened to me...). Pants are still snug, but I think a few rides should break them in nice. The Supertech R boots are simply awesome! I tried on the SMX Plus again because I was second guessing it, but they didn't feel as snug or comfortable. Can't wait to try these on the bike.

Also, I returned the Astars Bionic Air back protector because I realized it was only level 1 CE certified. I got the Forcefield L2k and the quality and construction appear much better.

Last, but not least, I ordered the Held Phantom 2 gloves since Revzilla just got a fresh shipment. Should get them tomorrow! I kind of want to compare to the Jerez, but if the Helds fit perfect I'll just stick with them.

So, NESR: I took all your advice and bought good gear! The bike upgrades will have to wait..
    Good choice...our safety always comes first

CCS #31

Held makes excellent gloves. If you still want to compare, we have Held Phantom 2, Rev'It Jerez and the new Rev'It Jerez Pro gloves in stock here - Seacoast Sport Cycle.

the only normal people are the ones you don't know very well.

Hi Patricia. Didn't see that you had posted this until now, but glad I stopped in anyway! Too bad I walked out bare handed this time, but I appreciate your time showing me the different gloves and suits. I will definitely keep you guys in mind for any future bike/gear needs!

You guys at Seacoast have a great store and everyone was really friendly/helpful!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast