Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Speed and Strength Helmets for the Track?

Re: Speed and Strength Helmets for the Track?

Icon is no longer going for Snell certification, just DOT and ECE in the US. As a result, my local dealer isn't stocking them any more, haven't decided what I'm going to run for a helmet next year yet.

My 2008 Snell sporting Airframe is ok, it's light, fits decently, has ok airflow, etc. It gets inspected more thoroughly at LRRS tech I've noticed. Sharp doesn't have any test data on them so I can't give a hard numbers based comparison on how well they protect vs other brands.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Why not the CL16?
    It's a plastic shell so it's not LRRS legal. I dunno if any of the TD orgs hold to that rule or not.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

LRRS accepts ECE ratings. That's all Shark helmets have. They're not Snell rated.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Quote Originally Posted by The Snowman View Post
    LRRS accepts ECE ratings. That's all Shark helmets have. They're not Snell rated.
    I know LRRS accepts ECE, just noticed a trend lately for local shops to not carry helmets in house that don't have Snell plastered across the back.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    It's a plastic shell so it's not LRRS legal.
    Say no more. SNELL or not, I agree that plastic is an easy pass.

The AGV K4 evo is ECE and dot as well as fiberglass and about 250$. And the Shark Speed-r is about 325.

Last edited by maxim_X; 08-08-12 at 08:13 PM.
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

I crashed in an Scorpion EX700. Got a great deal on a replacement Shoei from Ted. Rating the two against each other, I'll buy a Scorpion next time. great no fog shield, great fit and finish, held up awesome in a crash and a shit less money. I am very disappointed in the Shoei, noisy and I HAVE to wear a pin lock sheila due to fogging in the slightest cool weather.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppo View Post
    I crashed in an Scorpion EX700. Got a great deal on a replacement Shoei from Ted. Rating the two against each other, I'll buy a Scorpion next time. great no fog shield, great fit and finish, held up awesome in a crash and a shit less money. I am very disappointed in the Shoei, noisy and I HAVE to wear a pin lock sheila due to fogging in the slightest cool weather.
    While I love my Shoei, I can't say that it was a great improvement over the EXO-700. And just the anti-fog alone would be enough for me to go back to another Scorpion. You literally could not fog the thing if you tried

I'm on my 2nd season with my EXO 700 and love it. Had a CL 15 & a Joe Rocket Lid and like the EXO much better. Quiet, comfy, not uber heavy, never fogs, I like the small breath guard it comes with. Best bang for the buck. I paid 159 for mine 2 years ago.
    I tried on a SS at bike week and it felt flimsy and cheap.

Last edited by MellowYellow; 08-08-12 at 10:00 PM.
    K8 GSXR 600

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppo View Post
    What model Shoei?

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
    And just the anti-fog alone would be enough for me to go back to another Scorpion. You literally could not fog the thing if you tried
    I must be doing it wrong. I have no problem fogging mine on a cool morning. Even with the breath deflector in place.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Good to hear about the EXO700, I'm leaning more towards that as it is about $100 cheaper than the HJC Fs-15 and sounds like a great helmet especially if it comes close to Shoei quality.

Anyone have the HJC FS-15 who wants to stand up for it before I go EXO-700?

Ive had a Scorp EXO1000, 2 Shoei's and a Suomy. The Scorp was the best yet...

Lifer

Wow.

I've had an ancient, hand-me-down Bell, a couple HJC's, and a Scorpion.

I never would have believed that someone would rate the Scorpion ahead of those other lids...

I just got an exo 700 in for the girl. It doesn't fit like my rf1100. It's smaller. Seems decent quality but I definitely don't think it's as nice as the shoei. I'd consider getting myself a 750 as a spare though. I really do like the shark speed-r which is very similar to the 750 But it's made in france and comes from a real helmet manufacturer.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

After re-reading my post above I realized it was short and didnt explain. The comfort and features of a helmet is where my opinion comes from. Having only crash tested a helmet once (scorpion), my conclusions are from fit feel and features. The Shoei RF1000 I had was nice. Plush interior was nice too. As a noob I bought a large thinking it was the right fit. It broke in and started to swim on me. Before that I had a Suomy in XL. It too was a super nice helmet, kick ass graphics, very nice plush inside. Broke in....too big. Then I bought the Scorpion EXO1000. Good fit, not as nice interior but still good. The scorp had hands down the best shield on any helmet Ive ever seen. Nice vents and the EXO1000 has a retractable sunvisor inside the helmet as well as pump up cheekpads. I still have this helmet. It really is nice. If you just dicsount this helmet without ever trying it, youre missing out.

Ive tried Shark (fuckin worst fitting helmet ever..for me) Icon (felt like 60 pounds and shit interior) HJC (terrible interior and noisy as hell)...

Now Ive got an RF1100, size medium. Fits well, great viewing area, vents nice and we all know the plush interiors of Shoei.

Ive tried every Arai, in all sizes, 20 times each. They just dont fit. AGV is a good fit for me too, at least the GP Tech is a good fit and feel.

Moral of the story...try them all and be picky. Its important.

Lifer

How do you score road trials with these helmets to gauge wind noise?

FWIW: I had the 'fog free' screen on my EXO-700 fogging this AM again on my way to work. I must have washed mine in acid or something.

thanks for all the reviews... Just ordered the EXO-700 can't wait to try it out and break it in

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    After re-reading my post above I realized it was short and didnt explain. The comfort and features of a helmet is where my opinion comes from. Having only crash tested a helmet once (scorpion), my conclusions are from fit feel and features. The Shoei RF1000 I had was nice. Plush interior was nice too. As a noob I bought a large thinking it was the right fit. It broke in and started to swim on me. Before that I had a Suomy in XL. It too was a super nice helmet, kick ass graphics, very nice plush inside. Broke in....too big. Then I bought the Scorpion EXO1000. Good fit, not as nice interior but still good. The scorp had hands down the best shield on any helmet Ive ever seen. Nice vents and the EXO1000 has a retractable sunvisor inside the helmet as well as pump up cheekpads. I still have this helmet. It really is nice. If you just dicsount this helmet without ever trying it, youre missing out.

Ive tried Shark (fuckin worst fitting helmet ever..for me) Icon (felt like 60 pounds and shit interior) HJC (terrible interior and noisy as hell)...

Now Ive got an RF1100, size medium. Fits well, great viewing area, vents nice and we all know the plush interiors of Shoei.

Ive tried every Arai, in all sizes, 20 times each. They just dont fit. AGV is a good fit for me too, at least the GP Tech is a good fit and feel.

Moral of the story...try them all and be picky. Its important.
    if you bought helmets that fit properly in the first place you wouldn't have had a problem with them not fitting
    my first 2 helmets were probably too big also. second one was a Suomy Spec1r in medium. I now use a small. well my current one is xs but I changed the cheek pads with ones from a small so its really a small.

I guess I'm in the minority here and didn't particularly like my Exo700 that I had a few years ago. if the dirt/grass was soft enough to where the tires sunk down at least 6 inches or possibly more than why did I get a concussion, albeit a very very minor one? for the price everything else about it was good. doesn't compare to the Suomy's I've had before and since it though but they are also top of the line helmets so not a fair comparison. Never had a Suomy shield fog either, they're changing system sucks with the side covers but isn't difficult or anything.

Last edited by CBR929RE; 08-14-12 at 11:43 PM.

Lifer

Another ding against the EXO700 is the face shield removal system does not work as advertised for me. One side is fairly easy, but the other side I have to wrestle with and nearly break the mechanism to release the shield. Poor QC or not very tight tolerances in their manufacturing, me thinks.

My HJC from the mid 2000's was light years easier.

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

i love my FS-15 the airflow is the best ive ever had, the noise quality is good for what it is, it is not overly heavy but not CF either. Havnt had any issues with fogging. only just took it out in the wet for the first time on friday and was very pleased with how quickly it defogged once i was moving and the air got flowing thru it. my last helmet was a CL-16 and the FS is a serious improvement over it!!.

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

after my last crash i bought a joe rocket (which is an HJC rs16) for $77 shipped snell 2010 certified... good deal on closeouts if you hunt

Of course everyone gives all the bad reviews of the EXO700 after I buy it lol.

It should be here Friday so I'll compare it to my old HJC when it comes in

Did you try one on first?

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

I tried on the EXO-750 I couldn't find a 700 localy in my size and that fit fine so I am assuming that they will be close size/fit wise

So just a quick update got the EX0-700 in on friday fit was good a little tight but it will break in, and quality was pretty much what I expected. The bigger issue was that it was a 5/08 build date, so I'm going to send it back since it won't be valid for next year, and look into something else (most likely that joe rocket listed above) since they can't gaurante that any exo-700 they send will be newer than 08/09.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast