Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Buttonwillow!

Rockin' the West Coast... Femmekat's Avatar

Buttonwillow!

Before setting foot out West, I managed to snag a free spot for The Track Club's October 29th Buttonwillow track day. I set my alarm for 3:30 am, and hit the road at 4:30 with about 170 miles to cover to get to the track. I found my garage, which I was sharing with some Socal Moto forum members, and realized after offloading the bike that I had forgotten my kickstand which I had planned on putting back on. Fortunately with a full pit crew, I had more than enough help with my rearstand the whole day. Also, it was nice to see Alex and Jro! I walked by an air tank plastered with Street and Comp stickers, and figured they had arrived.

The Track Club was pretty mellow, the day still had some spots open so there was plenty of room in all of the groups, and with the full 3 mile race configuration being run (clockwise, #13) there was tons of room on the track. I started out in C group for a full session of follow the leader to get familiar with the track, and was glad I did. With over 20 turns, tons of transitions, patches, cracks, and bumps there was a lot to absorb with this track. The track was pretty cold throughout the morning, and felt very slippery until midday. My 2nd session I sought out a control rider, to follow to learn the lines more but we got stuck in a lot of traffic. We made some passes, and finally got in a couple faster laps when oops! I had a small dirt excursion. It was pretty much like "Oh crap, there's T1, overshot it, gotta take the NASCAR oval" scenario at Loudon... I wasn't tight enough coming into the sweeper before the esses, went over the slippery apron, thought "oh crap" looked at the dirt and that's where I went. I rode through and back on track, gave the control rider a thumbs up, then away we went, lol. Didn't happen again, that's for sure...

After that session I bumped to B group, which was pretty darn fast. I picked up the pace, and finished the day running a 2:20 which I was happy with. Visually, the track is really busy with all the pavement patches, so it makes more work for your brain to process all the information, leaving you feeling like you have less in reserve regardless of pace. It was a fun and challenging track, much more technical than I anticipated, but by the 4th session I was starting to get the flow of things. I had the most fun in Cotton Corners, and the Grapevine, which is a nice little right, left, right with an uphill section followed by a right sweeper. I disliked turn 2 the most, which was a slippery, off camber hair pin that just felt really slick all day. I was working on learning the lines, and dropping my inside shoulder all day, which paid off.

My 7th session the bike wouldn't start, wouldn't even turn on and after fiddling with connections figured the battery wires had come a little loose from the 3,200 cross country haul. Fortunately, got the bike sorted in time for the last session of the day. I met some great people, had a blast, and look forward to the next one! I may try to do Chuckwalla next weekend...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Femmekat; 10-30-10 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    I dunno, you dress too fashionably to be a communist
    LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6
    1996 F-350 4x4 diesel truck
    and anything else with serious hp

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Re: Buttonwillow!

That's awesome, Lauren! We miss ya already.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

I'm jealous! Time to plan a road trip...

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Quote Originally Posted by rolker View Post
    I'm jealous! Time to plan a road trip...
    I think you would love Buttonwillow....
    Start packing! How's your motor?

LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6

Could you please give my phone number to whomever that guy in the middle in the 2nd to last picture is? kthx

Original

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    Could you please give my phone number to whomever that guy in the middle in the 2nd to last picture is? kthx
    Ethan? Sure thang....

LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6

Very nice Lauren. Definitely super jealous. Especially with it barely getting into the 50's here.

Shit Corey says:
    Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    I think that a smooth motor would help me be a bit smoother

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

I thought you dont ride in the last session??? Nice photos- so jealous!

hey I see Jim made it out there

Shit Corey says:
    Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    I think that a smooth motor would help me be a bit smoother

Quote Originally Posted by Lxpony View Post
    I thought you dont ride in the last session??? Nice photos- so jealous!
    I know! It was a big step for me, lol. But I was having so much fun, and bummed I missed the 7th that I had to get out there "one more time" Although I went on track saying "Just two more sessions" Lolz...

Quote Originally Posted by FirstDuc-1098 View Post
    hey I see Jim made it out there
    I took that picture just for him. And created a tag in his honor

LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6

The Track Club is a nice group, glad you had fun

Buttonwillow is cool, my favorite part of that track is the fast sweeper, Lost Hills, and the Mazda turn.

Guess I'm behind the power curve...I've been in AZ for over a week and no track time yet...oh the shame! Nice job scoring a free spot at Buttonwillow. You'll absolutely fall in love with Chuckwalla if you make it up there! You're body position is looking very good too. I plan on making a CWalla trip once I get my first paycheck, so maybe I'll run into you up there.

Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-
    '05 Aprilia Tuono Racing -Street-
    #46, Expert, CVMA -cvmaracing.com-

Looking good Kat, thanks for the pic!

USCRA #555 - Formula CB
    http://jro555.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MotoFreak View Post
    Guess I'm behind the power curve...I've been in AZ for over a week and no track time yet...oh the shame! Nice job scoring a free spot at Buttonwillow. You'll absolutely fall in love with Chuckwalla if you make it up there! You're body position is looking very good too. I plan on making a CWalla trip once I get my first paycheck, so maybe I'll run into you up there.
    Lol...get on track ASAP you slacker! Yeah, I want to get to Chuckwalla soon. Let me know when you plan on getting out there, how long a drive is that for you? The upcoming dates are the 6th/7th with Socal Track Days, the 27th and 28th with Track Xperience, and again w/Socal Track Days (which has a no session format, kinda cool) December 4/5th. And there's gonna be this: http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=42513

Thank you for the compliment! I still have a million and one things to work on, and the tracks out here sure are faster so getting used to how higher speed cornering feels will be a neccessity...

Quote Originally Posted by -jro- View Post
    Looking good Kat, thanks for the pic!
    You're welcome! Hope to see you soon

Last edited by Femmekat; 11-01-10 at 10:10 PM.

LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6

Quote Originally Posted by Femmekat View Post
    Lol...get on track ASAP you slacker! Yeah, I want to get to Chuckwalla soon. Let me know when you plan on getting out there, how long a drive is that for you? The upcoming dates are the 6th/7th with Socal Track Days, the 27th and 28th with Track Xperience, and again w/Socal Track Days (which has a no session format, kinda cool) December 4/5th. And there's gonna be this: http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=42513

Thank you for the compliment! I still have a million and one things to work on, and the tracks out here sure are faster so getting used to how higher speed cornering feels will be a neccessity...
    I'm working on finding another track/race bike, but I don't know what I want to get into. As of right now, I am looking at getting my life back on schedule before I hit up a track day. December might be a possibility. The CVMA looks ridiculous! I'm going to keep my eye on that, as racing on that track would be insane.
    CVR will help you lots and lots on the getting your corner speeds up. The track is very smooth, incredibly grippy, and most of the corners are long, fast, and offer good visibility. And there's the Turn 8-10 section!!!! I'll give you a shout if I pull the trigger on a TD.

Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-

I'm working on finding another track/race bike, but I don't know what I want to get into. As of right now, I am looking at getting my life back on schedule before I hit up a track day. December might be a possibility. The CVMA looks ridiculous! I'm going to keep my eye on that, as racing on that track would be insane.
    CVR will help you lots and lots on the getting your corner speeds up. The track is very smooth, incredibly grippy, and most of the corners are long, fast, and offer good visibility. And there's the Turn 8-10 section!!!! I'll give you a shout if I pull the trigger on a TD.

You could always ride my R6 if ya were in a different group (which you probably would be...)

LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6

You could always ride my R6 if ya were in a different group (which you probably would be...)
    Nice...I'd most likely be in a faster group, but I'd probly just put my Mille into track trim and haul her up. Its just a pain in the ass, and I just put her back together after a long year of being apart. Thanks for the offer! Same goes for whatever bike I end up bringing if you want to take a ride on a bad ass Italian rocket!

Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-

Nice...I'd most likely be in a faster group, but I'd probly just put my Mille into track trim and haul her up. Its just a pain in the ass, and I just put her back together after a long year of being apart. Thanks for the offer! Same goes for whatever bike I end up bringing if you want to take a ride on a bad ass Italian rocket!
    The fastest run group? So you can ride flaht out?

Take a ride on a badass Italian rocket?! Count me in!

Just signed up for Chuckwalla on the 27th/28th with TrackXperience, and Big Willow this coming Monday the 5th...

Hope you can make it! I'm headed up with some awesome people..should be fun times! (Although rumor has it no showers at Chuckwalla )

Last edited by Femmekat; 11-04-10 at 12:42 AM.

LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6

The fastest run group? So you can ride flaht out?

Take a ride on a badass Italian rocket?! Count me in!

Just signed up for Chuckwalla on the 27th/28th with TrackXperience, and Big Willow this coming Monday the 5th...

Hope you can make it! I'm headed up with some awesome people..should be fun times! (Although rumor has it no showers at Chuckwalla )
    Fast-er, not fastest...used to think I could hang, then I got schooled by some novice guys this summer (thanks Chuck and Jason). I might be able to squeeze in the 27-28 day. It all depends on if I get payed sooner, or later. Payment is always guaranteed, but with the military, you don't know when.
    I'll let you know if I sign up, cause CVR kicks ass!
    Showers? Last time I was there all you got was a port-a-pottie and a HUGE slab of pavement right out in the gorgeous radiant desert heat. Once you start riding though, you don't care.

Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-