Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thompson lap times?

Re: Thompson lap times?

Ehhhhh they support me and the shit I buy so why not support them and therefore will plug them as I can.....simple

there is very few sponsored riders that actually get anything more than a good discount......Truth

so don't let that fool you.....

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    there is very few sponsored riders that actually get anything more than a good discount......Truth
    But when you're on a failed budget, those discounts help! And Bridgestone does pay out contingencies, don't forget those!

VISA - It's everywhere I shouldn't be.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Kurlon; 07-29-15 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Xxaarraa, if we're not consistently winning races, do we not deserve to have sponsors? Should we go back to track days?

Can you please post when you're next track day is and what group you're riding? I'm sure where's a few undeserving racers like myself that would love the opportunity to ride with you.
    I am one of those riders too for the record

Xxaarraa all bs aside.

I used to care a lot about times when I was doing TDs only.
    Once racing came in the picture, I don't even use a lap timer during TDs because I work on specific tasks during then (body position, trail braking, rear braking, passing, different lines, etc).

When TDs was the only form of Track riding I got to do I had questions similar to yours.
    Truth is once you take it to a competitive level (racing) then yes TDs lose their value.

Also most people who said something here are very good instructors and its part of their job and mentality to try to keep TDs as safe as possible and also as far away from racing as possible too.
    I hope you can understand why (crashes, unnecessary pushing, risk).

NOW I can agree that the best way to measure you improvement is certainly lap times. But I agree that TD is not a place to find out your BEST lap time and you should never push 100% during a TD. Mind you I say that now, after being the clown who crashed a million times at TDs trying to turn a 1:30 at loudon.

Also my personal reason for not keeping my times in Thompson and Palmer is because there will never be racing there.

I hope you understand that track days are (usually) seen as one of two things:
    1) test the limit in a control n safe environment (not the street) while having fun
    2) work on specific things to improve as a rider.

I would also get into why racing and if you are not winning all the time but I think that's pointless to do. According to your statement Marquez shouldn't be riding and Rossi shouldn't be around after last year.

You don't understand racing. And it's ok because it really is one of those things that you don't get unless you actually do. Bubs used to not understand it either, and believed he d never do it, now look at him.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

I race.
    I am seriously hot shit.
    I guess I need to list some sponsors to round out the package.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I love the new sig bubba.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    CCS #68
    2016 Husky FS450
    Huge thanks for all the support from MotoSport

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Xxaarraa all bs aside.
    tsorfas, thanks for an objective and articulate post. I was expecting you to say that you still wanted to punch my teeth out, so I am pleasantly surprised by the objective response.

I used to care a lot about times when I was doing TDs only.
    Once racing came in the picture, I don't even use a lap timer during TDs because I work on specific tasks during then (body position, trail braking, rear braking, passing, different lines, etc).

When TDs was the only form of Track riding I got to do I had questions similar to yours.
    Truth is once you take it to a competitive level (racing) then yes TDs lose their value.
    Your riding seems to have evolved beyond track days and I can understand why/how you feel about track days. There are those of us still climbing that ladder and its tiring to constantly get "you dont need to know this because you don't race" from guys. Especially guys not winning.

Also most people who said something here are very good instructors and its part of their job and mentality to try to keep TDs as safe as possible and also as far away from racing as possible too.
    I wasn't swinging at pigman, I didn't even notice he had sponsors listed in his signature till after I made that post. And I don't like to delete posts so I left it on there. The point about sponsors in signatures was broader - I know guys running 1:35s at Loudon with sponsors in their signature and that have a brown nose because they are "racers"

Pigman, PM inbound.

I would also get into why racing and if you are not winning all the time but I think that's pointless to do. .
    It's not pointless. I'd like to hear why anyone would race time and again knowing they are not going to win / place podium. I tend to think of life as a series of opportunity costs. If I am pouring my time, money and heart into something and know my returns aren't going to be as high as my returns in another activity that I gave up (opportunity cost too high), why would I do that? I'd rather be doing something else on another hobby.

Talking about Marquez and Rossi isn't entirely relevant since we are all hobbyists. How you evaluate a hobby is fundamentally different than how you evaluate a livelihood.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 07-29-15 at 02:12 PM.

I run my laptimer at track days.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

I may not be the right person to answer that specific why about racing.
    In my case I am obsessed and in love and addicted to this.
    Plain and simple my happiest days are the ones at the race track.
    I love racing itself and I love the people that make that atmosphere what it is.
    I used to believe it was only at Loudon.
    Then I made great friends in Jersey and even in Florida. Racers in general are good people.

If I could afford it that's all I would do.
    If I could make a living out of this, that would be my job (professional racer).

Winning is awesome, but so is losing believe it or not. I have been going back n fourth with Sam Greenwood for 2 years now. Every time I lose to him, I am happy to lose to someone because they were better than and is a good dude who rides safe and predictably with me. And I get happy when he gets a new PB.

I am not very good with words, but racing really did a lot of good to me. I met my best friends through it. It may sound sad but it's the reason I look forward to every summer and I have said it several times, there aren't a lot of things in life that make me smile as much as going through the Tunnel to the infield at NHMS.

I was very happy as a Novice, I was very happy as an Amateur winning a lot, and I'm even happier now as an expert where I don't even get on the podium.

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    It's not pointless. I'd like to hear why anyone would race time and again knowing they are not going to win / podium. I tend to think of life as a series of opportunity costs. If I am pouring my time, money and heart into something and know my returns aren't going to be as high as my returns in another activity that I gave up (opportunity cost too high), why would I do that?
    I believe I addressed that in my other post. I did podium in 1 race this past weekend, and I didn't even know it until Monday morning. I wasn't enthused after the race and I'm still not stoked after finding out I made the podium because I didn't ride that well in that race. And there were no fun battles for third place (I still had fun tho, my point is my podium race isn't one of the ones I'm most excited about)

I had the most fun in 2 races where I did a PB on 2 different bikes battling 2 different guys to see who crossed the finish line for some double-digit whogivesafuck place in one race and whosnotlast place in the other.

Remember that if you are competing against someone informally at a track day, you are breaking the rules in most track orgs (TTD might even have a "no-repassing on the same lap" rule). AAANND, unless you arranged it with the guy you're "racing" before the session, he may be going at 80% pace saying "WTF is this numbnuts doing?"

You talk about "opportunity costs" and "returns" - remember that the pot of gold at the end of the LRRS winner's circle is A PLASTIC TROPHY. Or if you're lucky, $100 if Tony happens to select whatever race you're in for the holeshot award (randomly selected......from the races that have an entrant whose name rhymes with two chocolate cookies surrounding a delicious creme center : ) [edit: totally joking, there's no claim that the race selection is random, most of them WEREN'T in races that Pete was in, and thanks Tony for putting those awards out there for us to go after, and congrats Pete - you earned it...]

Hobbies are hobbies - Some people like puzzles, some people spend tens of thousands of dollars to climb a mountain that a thousand people have already climbed, some people race to try to get first someday, some people like to race to beat that guy that beat them last time for 6th place, some people like to be pooped on during sex. Some people might like all of those things.

All I can suggest is to stop wondering why other people do it. You have the majority of the requirements to race, if you haven't taken the Basic Penguin course in the past 12 months, do that, pay the (reduced after July?) cost for a license and enter a race or two. You will probably be a "fast novice" (although I've never heard that term used before) - you may even get first place in a NOVICE race and win a plastic trophy that literally has Rick Doucette's or Scott Greenwood's name on it. If you give them reason to, the officials may even tell you to your face that novice races aren't real races.

Then decide if racing for anything other than first place makes any sense at all (or first place once you get past novice, or first place ONLY in expert, or first place in at the AMA Pro level, Moto 3, Moto 2, Moto GP, etc. - 'cause even the guys who win expert races only win because there are tons of faster people who don't care about showing up to a club Racing event)

I know you reasonably well, and I bet we have another hooked racer at the end of that weekend, regardless of standings.

Last edited by Ductard; 07-30-15 at 10:33 AM.
    "Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

Well this took a fun turn.

X, your lap times are this: not fast enough to win expert level races, so just quit now.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

Track days and racing are two completely different things. They may share some commonality. But they are not the same. I've been flamed for this before, but I believe it.

I don't share the "track day riders are just pretending" attitude. I have seen some TD riders that would compete very nicely at LRRS. Just as I've seen some LRRS racers that are such flaming assholes they'd get thrown out of any respectable TD in 15 minutes. The two are different sports. Comparing times between the two is almost pointless. Even race practice is different.

The one power of lap times is to measure yourself against yourself. I almost never go on track without a timer anymore. I want to know. I'm out there to improve. In this context the measure of 'improve' is lap times. Not knowing what my lap time was means I can't really know if I improved or not.

Sharing lap times on the internet is of minimal value. Especially track day times where there is no competition, far less drive to go faster/harder/whatever, and people out there who honestly are just tooling around having a good time.

If you believe that one should not be racing if they are not actively winning, then I believe you have no balls.

Bubs lap times is not be only way to measure your improvement.
    Lap times is the end result.

Just my opinion.

xxaarraa

Irony in all this is Paul PM'd me within a few minutes of starting this thread and told me what I was looking for. I'm not sure why I let this turn into another eternal debate. Chipper threw the bait and I bit hard.

While we are at it, anyone know which oil is best?

I wasn't baiting till the very end.
    I do hope you get what you need. And lap times, schmap schmimes.
    I wish i was in your shoes, on the brink of putting all the pieces together, and being able to let it all hang out, and having that feeling of it all coming together. Now I'm just a washed up never was.

I still get mine, but it's not the same feeling.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I ran my lap timer at Thompson a few times. Best was 1:26, with the longer T4.

I'm still trying to make sense of saying someone else shouldn't race if they aren't finishing on the podium because "its as pointless as track days"....if the person saying it runs track days.

If they are both equally pointless, and there's no sense doing pointless things, then both shouldn't be done.

Last edited by Imbeek; 07-29-15 at 05:55 PM.

I'm a track day rider that likes to use data to assess if what I'm working on is making a difference, and at many tracks laps times are a part of that data. However to your original question of PBs at Thompson, my opinion of chasing lap times at that track may have a rider pushing the limits in sections of the track where it's not safe to go off track. Lap times at track days are often not ideal to use due to the range of speeds in any group will likely have a rider waiting to pass traffic or getting frustrated and making risky passes.

All that said, I really like the Qstarz logger. It lets you break the track down into sections and you can see things like corner speed,segment times, and where you get on the brakes and gas. For a track day where a rider is likely to be working on only a couple of turns at a time, this is excellent data.

And finally to answer your question: PB long track 1:17, short track 1:12

Last edited by Aprilia Pilot; 07-29-15 at 08:49 PM.

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I wish i was in your shoes, on the brink of putting all the pieces together, and being able to let it all hang out, and having that feeling of it all coming together.
    Far from it chip, far from it. Nowhere near putting the pieces together. I rode street for many many years, then gave it up entirely and went track only for various reasons, one of which was getting my femur and spine broken by a DUI driver. My motorcycling journey has a long way to go.

I am pulling the plug on my "NESR wars" No more debates, no more taking the baits, no more drama. Will still take all the humor as there is plenty of it here to go around, and all the "school me on..." threads. That's it, I am not giving expert opinions on what to do if a dog bites another dog or what class A real estate in RI is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    I ran my lap timer at Thompson a few times. Best was 1:26, with the longer T4.
    Thanks for the info Pete. Read about your collar bone mishap in the other thread, very sorry to hear that. Hope you get back at it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilia Pilot View Post
    And finally to answer your question: PB long track 1:17, short track 1:12
    Thanks for the info also. Are you the black RSV4? If so, I tried to buy your bike at Thompson once last year, gave you my name and number! I then tried to buy Bruce's, then Chris Green's, till I eventually found another RSV4.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 07-29-15 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ductard View Post
    Or if you're lucky, $100 if Tony happens to select whatever race you're in for the holeshot award (randomly selected......from the races that have an entrant whose name rhymes with two chocolate cookies surrounding a delicious creme center : ).
    We've given away $500 across five different races, and Pete was only in two of those races(and if you think anyone expected him to get the holeshot in AMA Supermoto, you're insane-no offense Pete). Two of five winners weren't even on Pirelli tires. I know you're probably joking...but since I don't understand the entire premise of this thread(I have the OP on ignore), I just want to make sure no one takes you seriously and thinks we're "rigging" that Holeshot Award.

EDIT: also, those races definitely aren't "randomly" selected, we're not drawing out of a hat where we choose to give out money; I don't think that was ever claimed.

I'm just here to piss in Xxaarraa's breakfast... at the track... during his first race weekend.

Big surprise, this thread.............

All kinds of drama bs. From stuck up racers with sponsor sigs to allegedly rigged holeshot awards, we got it all.

Another quality submission.

Last edited by OreoGaborio; 07-30-15 at 08:56 AM.
    -Pete LRRS/CCS #81 - ECK Racing, TonysTrackDays
    GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Phoenix Graphics | Woodcraft | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media

The Garage: '03 Tuono | '06 SV650

Quote Originally Posted by OreoGaborio View Post
    I honestly never saw it coming.

Pete the only way out of this is to BAN yourself

Quote Originally Posted by OreoGaborio View Post
    If you could get the man behind the curtain to set it up so that when a member is on "ignore," then you won't even see the threads they started(rather than just not seeing their posts), my guess is this thread would have had less participants.

I'm not sure if that's possible in this version of VB...but I think I know a guy who I could ask.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast