Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tony's Track Days May 20th

Tony's Track Days May 20th

Here's a Go-Pro video of my first trackday of the season. This is coming back from two offs last season. Spent most of the day relearning the track and learning my new setup.

Took a while to get a rhythm going but towards the end of the day my pace picked up and I saw some good amount of progress. It was a relief since those two offs kind of mushed my man parts confidence wise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=gOcFXjvIKjg

And a few snaps:

For my blog write up which is more detailed just go here:

http://jasonphan.wordpress.com/2013/...f-the-cobwebs/

But I hope with more trackdays this season I can get back up to where I was and hopefully exceed in some parts. Thanks for checking it out.

*Just want to thank Tony again for having myself and the Lo-Riderz for another great day on two wheels

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Re: Tony's Track Days May 20th

Got you thank you guys for the chat and water and cake on Sunday night.

Looks like you practically had the whole track to yourself JP. Great stuff.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    Got you thank you guys for the chat and water and cake on Sunday night.

Looks like you practically had the whole track to yourself JP. Great stuff.
    that was some great cake

people complained that there was traffic in Yellow. but after everyone passed me i had empty track in both directions

Quote Originally Posted by Jason P. View Post
    people complained that there was traffic in Yellow. but after everyone passed me i had empty track
    Yeah, unfortunately if we only put 10 people in the group - they will often find eachother and ride around in a pack - and then complain the track was crowded.

I watch the groups very closely throughout the day from the front front straight and there is always huge sections of open track - and then a couple of packs of riders.

The main cause of these "packs" are two guys riding together. The third bike comes up behind and cannot pass two bikes - so tags on the back. Then a 4th shows up, etc.

This is why we repeatedly ask friends to not go out with eachother for more than a lap or two. Or, if you are going to ride with your buddy - leave plenty of space so another rider can pass you each individually.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Quote Originally Posted by 35racer View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately if we only put 10 people in the group - they will often find eachother and ride around in a pack - and then complain the track was crowded.

I watch the groups very closely throughout the day from the front front straight and there is always huge sections of open track - and then a couple of packs of riders.

The main cause of these "packs" are two guys riding together. The third bike comes up behind and cannot pass two bikes - so tags on the back. Then a 4th shows up, etc.

This is why we repeatedly ask friends to not go out with eachother for more than a lap or two. Or, if you are going to ride with your buddy - leave plenty of space so another rider can pass you each individually.
    what was great about Monday was that while everyone was stuck in jams trying to pass other people, i had open track to ride at my own pace and work on things that needed working on. couldn't complain.

it made for a great opportunity to learn!

Looking good! Lines look smooth and consistent. You blog post was a fun read as well.

I did take my EX250 out for the last Yellow session on Monday and was surprised at how little traffic I saw out there!

On Tuesday, I did go out again in Yellow on the 250 in the afternoon (Paul decided he needed every afternoon blue group session on my RS125 to "tune the suspension" ), and I did encounter a few of those clumps of traffic. One trick, which I only recommend if you are *very* comfortable doing so, is to pass the whole clump as a group instead of picking off one rider at a time. Doing so left me quite a bit of open track.

Like Tony said, no matter how few people are out there, they tend to find each other! I just use those situations to work on my passing skills.

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Quote Originally Posted by rolker View Post
    On Tuesday, I did go out again in Yellow on the 250 in the afternoon (Paul decided he needed every afternoon blue group session on my RS125 to "tune the suspension" ),
    Hey now! That bike needed a LOT of attention.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Jason P. View Post
    people complained that there was traffic in Yellow. but after everyone passed me i had empty track in both directions
    Same here! I was also in Yellow on Monday and many people would pass me, but I never had anyone in front of me. It was awesome.

LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300

Looking good! Lines look smooth and consistent. You blog post was a fun read as well.

I did take my EX250 out for the last Yellow session on Monday and was surprised at how little traffic I saw out there!

On Tuesday, I did go out again in Yellow on the 250 in the afternoon (Paul decided he needed every afternoon blue group session on my RS125 to "tune the suspension" ), and I did encounter a few of those clumps of traffic. One trick, which I only recommend if you are *very* comfortable doing so, is to pass the whole clump as a group instead of picking off one rider at a time. Doing so left me quite a bit of open track.

Like Tony said, no matter how few people are out there, they tend to find each other! I just use those situations to work on my passing skills.
    thanks for the kinds words!

Quote Originally Posted by BMMCBR View Post
    Same here! I was also in Yellow on Monday and many people would pass me, but I never had anyone in front of me. It was awesome.
    if only all trackdays felt like we had the track to ourselves! that'd be something!

Lifer

...the last Yellow session on Monday and was surprised at how little traffic I saw out there!
    I was out for the last Red session on Tuesday. I actually started to think everyone had packed up and left me out there. I even got a chance to glance back once or twice and nobody was anywhere behind me. It wasn't until I spotted a couple riders through the 3/10 gap that I realized I wasn't alone. That last session was great to just tool around, even if I was way too tired to even think about trying to ride hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Hey now! That bike needed a LOT of attention.
    Why don't you just give in and buy another one?!!

Not in the cards right now.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I was out for the last Red session on Tuesday. I actually started to think everyone had packed up and left me out there. I even got a chance to glance back once or twice and nobody was anywhere behind me. It wasn't until I spotted a couple riders through the 3/10 gap that I realized I wasn't alone. That last session was great to just tool around, even if I was way too tired to even think about trying to ride hard.
    i thought this exactly

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I was out for the last Red session on Tuesday. I actually started to think everyone had packed up and left me out there.
    The smart riders chill out in the morning sessions - knowing that the afternoon sessions generally have hotter track and fewer people.

The "less than smart" riders throw it away in one of the first two sessions and then go home.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

The smart riders chill out in the morning sessions - knowing that the afternoon sessions generally have hotter track and fewer people.

The "less than smart" riders throw it away in one of the first two sessions and then go home.
    I saw my old race sv trailered up before noon on Tuesday. Hurt me to see my old steed thrown away so early!

Hey! Them's fightin' words!

I think...

Last edited by BMMCBR; 05-23-13 at 03:40 PM.
    LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300

I really try to encourage riders to treat the early sessions like a street rideon a nice road with no cops. Go over the speed limit but at a pace that crashing is not a possibility.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Lifer

I think the challenge is that many of us have no idea where the break between a pace where crashing is a possibility vs is not a possibility is. We don't really want to pay all that money and ride around at street pace; we want to push it some. The trick is using your head. As with so many things in life.

I may regret this video. Every time I look at it again my turn in on 6 looks like it is earlier and earlier!

And I have no problem with "push it some".... I am only suggesting waiting until after 11 or 12 o'clock.

By creeping up on the speed, you will have a much better chance of recovering from a mis-step. By pushing too far - too fast - the bike is down before you even know there is a problem.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

I really try to encourage riders to treat the early sessions like a street rideon a nice road with no cops. Go over the speed limit but at a pace that crashing is not a possibility.
    sounds like me last August. first session. right after the first lap. decided to ride like it was after lunch.

man cold tires are NOT FORGIVEN. low sided in 1A. cracked my track tank. and wham! that was a wrap.

stupid rider error cost a whole day of fun. now i know better.

You sure.....??
    http://www.usgpru.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11248

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    Oh 2 bikes! Paul, maybe we can get a good package deal and you can get the 2000 while I keep the '95 as a B bike...

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Oh 2 bikes! Paul, maybe we can get a good package deal and you can get the 2000 while I keep the '95 as a B bike...
    I sent an inquiry about the 2000, may join the fun!!

Maybe I should get one too.

LMAO

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

haha great shot!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast