Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Back on Track after 3 year hiatus

Back on Track after 3 year hiatus

After a few years of moving (South Carolina, Chicago, Here) and several job changes, I finally feel comfortable enough to get back on the track. I'm doing the Penguin Track Experience this Friday at NHMS. This has been my longest period of time off of a racetrack - any advice getting back into it? The plan is to take it slow, one lap at a time and ease back into it. I rode in the Advanced levels with NESBA, STT, PTT, Z2 and the like.

Also, since this will be my first time at NHMS and riding with Penguin, maybe someone can help answer a few quick questions:

1. Can I camp at NHMS the night before? If so, what is the cutoff time to enter?
    2. I know there's power at NHMS, but is it easily accessible most places you pit? I will be using tire warmers.
    3. Is Penguin's Track Experience essentially the same format as my old track day providers (NESBA, STT, etc)?
    4. Any advice for a first timer at NHMS?

Thanks guys! I look forward to getting back out there!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by OneCheekRider; 08-12-14 at 10:30 AM.

Re: Back on Track after 3 year hiatus

1. You can camp, I don't know if there is a cutoff but I have gotten there around midnight before and gotten in. I will be doing the same thing.
    2. Yes, bring an extension cord though.
    3. No, my understanding is that there are not different group levels within the track exp group. Also the schedule is funny, we wont be out there the same time every hour, we will be working around racer practice. I remember there being lots of good classroom instruction, focused on learning NHMS specifically. They also have instructors on track.
    4. T2 and T12 are slick in the rain.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

1) yes you can and there is no cut off time. I think there is open practice this Thursday so you should be able to enter the track whenever. There is a camp and electricity fee. I think $25 for both?

2) plenty of places you can connect for electricity to your camper/trailer. Bring an extension cord.

3) penguin track experience is a track day. You will be riding with people faster and slower than you. Different level riders will be on the track at the same time. It's usually not a problem.

4) NHMS is bumpy and technical. But that's why we love it. You have the right mentality. Take it easy and one lap at a time. Find the line and be predictable for your safety and the safety of others.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

if you're just doing friday then use the north garages. power in there and its free.

depending where you're used to riding, you might want to stiffen up your suspension. NHMS is bumpy and tough on the brakes in some spots.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Lifer

3) As stated, Penguin TE days follow a somewhat irregular schedule. By irregular I mean it is not "you are on track from x:00 to x:15 every hour". So pay attention. I pick an instructor from our group and watch him because I am half deaf and cannot hear the announcements very well. I also haven't worn a watch in like 15 years, so I'm not generally paying attention to the time. I figure if an instructor suits up, it is probably go-time.

If the weather or some other circumstances cause it, they will rework the day's schedule to maximize everyone's track time. Pay attention.

Penguin TE and school uses the North garages. You are welcome to use any open garage space you see when you show up. Although you are obviously expected to share. The amenities are nice. Power and air are available. Although I rarely use either. Each garage has a workbench you can keep your shit on. Again, share.

Men's room is in the next building due south of the garages.

Penguin staff is superb. If you get an opportunity to do a track walk with them, do it. Hit every classroom you can. Ask questions. You will probably get a shot at 1-on-1 time with an instructor. Instructors can be very curt and not hold punches when they see you riding poorly. Bring the thick skin and open mind.

Passing rules are more liberal than most orgs I've been with.

I once arrived in the morning at a Penguin with a bike that was not 100% ready. I needed tires and a few odds and ends wired. That was a mistake. I will never do that again. Arrive ready to rock. ... Although if you're spending the night, this is probably a different game.

Whut Pete said about T2. T11 bit me in the rain.
    Don't go wide into T9; you don't have to.
    T6 makes me giggle.

How'd ya do???

Who were you? I was on the silver SV

The day was a lot of fun! I was very slow & nervous in the morning and began to feel a lot more comfortable as the day went on. I need a lot of work on my BP...street riding and lack of exercise have not been kind to me - hoping to change that ASAP. Worked with a few coaches and trying to remember everything I need to work on. I did lowside in 1a in the second to last session, luckily on the last lap. I was blaming my old tires but realized when I went back out in the final session i was putting a lot of weight on the bars for the left to right transition - likely due to me getting tired. Luckily nothing was damaged but my ego. Need to get out there some more!

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    Who were you? I was on the silver SV
    I was on the blue R6

you weren't on NV plates in sunday's AM/NV race, were you?

EX 105

me? no. I was just up there on Friday for the Track Experience track day.

ok good. there was a blue R6 up there, and wasnt sure.

EX 105