Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

First Track Bike?

Re: First Track Bike?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ1991 View Post
    I'm in a situation where I will need it to be a street/track bike because I don't have any space for a second bike or trailer at the moment.
    Is this going to be primarily a track bike you'll occasionally ride on the street, or vise versa?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ1991 View Post
    I have done only one track day and that was on my road bike which is an 08 600rr. It's in great condition and has never been laid down. I've been riding it on NH back roads for a few years and have nothing but good things to say about it. However like RADA said when I took it to my first track day which was at Canaan I was super paranoid about laying it down. Having payed 5000 + for it I couldn't help but think how nice it would be to have a slightly lower powered bike with a bit less value to cure some of that worry, Especially being a novice at the track.
    Are you the type who wouldn't mind "downgrading" to a 300 or a 650 on the street?

Realistically, your 08 CBR600 is worth $4000 max now. You could get a $3-4000 SV650 that's set up well for track, but it'll be tough to find one with street bits on it. For a bike to not be paranoid about crashing, it's probably not going to be pretty - if you don't mind riding a beater on the street, that's one thing.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

My experience with tires:
    I could wail on my motard full gas and need to replace the tires every few race weekends at 4 races and 4 practices a weekend. I'd say a weekend was equal to a track days worth of time. This was basically full gas all the time. I'd assume the 300s are similar.
    Running a comfortable pace on my current 600, I can get 3-4 track days on a rear and 5-6 on a front. If I click it up a notch, tire life degrades a lot faster, and I'm by no means close to the fastest buy out there. Roasting a set in a day is entirely possible if you are that fast.
    I'd assume a 650 falls in the middle.

If you have a lot of miles under your belt, and you want a 600, get the 600! As noted about, a well set-up mid 2000s bike is incredibly affordable and very fun to ride. They're not all that different from your latest generation once you strip off all the electronic aids. I'd have to assume my 2006 Daytona is worth $3,500 tops with all the standard track goodies.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Damn thank you guys so much I didn't expect that much advice, Sorry took so long to respond had to work all wknd because of all the damn power everyone lost during that storm. I will consider all the advice hopefully have it figured out before track season. You guys will all blow by me no matter what I end up sticking with lol. Thanks again guys

Just get something you don't care about crashing. There's a zx6r for sale here dirt cheap with no title. That's the route I went and I'm happy about it. Can get track fairings pretty cheap so it doesn't explode the first time you crash. I think you're overthinking it.

Quote Originally Posted by capitalcrew View Post
    Just get something you don't care about crashing. There's a zx6r for sale here dirt cheap with no title. That's the route I went and I'm happy about it. Can get track fairings pretty cheap so it doesn't explode the first time you crash. I think you're overthinking it.
    If you're interested in my 07 zx6r shoot me a pm. Its in storage for the year at the cape but if you're serious I can make arrangements.

Plenty of tires for a few seasons of track days. It was my first bike and I only went through about 2 sets of q3s the whole summer at novice pace

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Hawk Gt
    I wanted something different than the norm. Who knew what it would deliver.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by Crconnor18 View Post
    If you're interested in my 07 zx6r shoot me a pm. Its in storage for the year at the cape but if you're serious I can make arrangements.

Plenty of tires for a few seasons of track days. It was my first bike and I only went through about 2 sets of q3s the whole summer at novice pace
    That's the one. Looks like it's already go track fairings on it too. Killer deal.

Cat herder

@D1991, I totally get the whole one-bike dilemma. What I wound up doing might prove useful to you.

Often we assume that a new rider is all-in. We also know where the path leads. But getting there is a process. When you're a newbie you've got real concerns and there are lots of unknowns... how big is the risk of crashing? There are like four-plus crashes at a typical track day, right? What if I try the track and it's not for me? Can I afford to crash my street bike? Can I handle my track bike at speeds I've never seen before, or will I lose it and crash? If I go with a dedicated track bike, what can I manage? What's the smart investment?

Here's what I did and it worked out great.

My street ride is a 2011 GSXR750 that I've owned since new. It's pretty close to pristine and I want to keep it that way for as long as I can. My logic for using it for my first track experience was this:
    - It's got a B mode to dampen the performance so I didn't have the worry that it'd get away from me early on.
    - It's a high-performance machine with great suspension, handling and brakes, so I had great confidence that I wouldn't get anywhere near the limits of the bike, ever... so no "I need a bigger bike" wishes.
    - Replacement bodywork is $$$$ and not wanting to risk damaging it I invested in used race bodywork, plus case savers, frame sliders, levers, rearsets... basically stuff to minimize damage if I were to crash.

I used this bike for a season and a half, but swapping street bodywork for race bodywork every time was getting really tedious. I came upon a good deal on a fully set up 06 R6 track bike with aaallllll the goodies up to and including full Ohlins suspension. It had been down: the body was really beat up and tank was badly dented but those were mere details on an otherwise solid bike. I snapped it up, bought less-crashed pieces and have been riding it ever since. I love it.

This path addressed those newbie concerns very well, without the need for a dedicated track bike out of the box. I got my feet wet with as little risk as possible and gained the knowledge I needed to decide that a dedicated track bike would be a good choice for me. The extra investment to track-ify my street bike is in no way wasted... if the R6 gets wadded or moves on due to age, the GSXR is ready to replace it for track duty and I'll get a new ride for the street.

Hope this helps.

First day on the track-ified GSXR. Check out that AWESOME body position!

Most recent day on the dedicated R6. A wee bit better.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by adouglas; 03-07-18 at 10:16 AM.

Good write up adouglas, similarly I tracked the RSVR, my street bike at the time, but without the added protection of track fairings this past season which would have been a costly crash. Or impossible to replace street fairings wise. I kind of made an impulse decision to jump on a leftover new Tuono which is now the new street bae. I dropped the coin on the down payment that would have bought a track bike package which was my initial plan for the season.

I now am struggling with the dilemma of what makes sense. I only ever need three bikes: street bike, track bike, dirt bike in that order of priority. The RSVR is a pristine street example, but as a factory model bike it has all the trick bits for the track already, ohlins, forged wheels, damper etc. The RSVR is now a bit of an older overweight, underpowered superbike. I love it for what it is but I am thinking, I want something that is track dedicated that I can potentially compete with in 2019 or 2020 after this season of training.

Do I sell the RSVR to fund a track bike? Do I then buy and build a brand new track bike (possible for next season)? Or lastly sell to buy an older bike package that could suffice for racing?

To make the RSVR track ready would be another $2000 between fairings, a proper slipper clutch and odds and ends. But it is a sad state of value for these bikes in track trim, there's a clean titled track ready '07 RSVR Factory for $3k available out there that I might as well make the drive to get?? ...

'19 Husqvarna FS450 Race

ADOUGLAS Thank you man. The R6 looks sick reminds me of the Golden State Warriors. I may very well end up taking the route you mentioned. Just being careful along the way. Thx again!

For trackdays I just think race plastics are a luxury. I'm the dick that brought a new S1000RR to the track for the first time, it was also my street ride. Pirelli SP V2's did double duty and it was just awesome. Took all of 15 minutes to convert back and forth (a bit longer for Palmer since the slip on was a black flag magnet. Get something that you like, and take your time learning. And yes, you should be ok with sliding her down the track.

Edit: And on that first Track day, another rider on a brand new S1000RR crashed and totalled it. I suppose some of it comes down to luck, but in that guys case, we could see that coming all day long

Last edited by TB151; 04-03-18 at 08:46 PM.
    #529 Amateur 2007 Triumph Daytona 675
    2015 BMW S1000RR

Bought an SV650SF (has lower fairing). Had Pete Kates put Penske shock and changed brake pads and tires when the old ones wore out.

Sold it when my knees wore out. Now that my knees have been replaced might get another. I’m pretty heavy so lighter guys and inline 4’s will pass you on straights and hills, but the SV has a lot of torque so very forgiving.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12